Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm an amateur sci fi writer who's new to this ebook/kindle "frontier."   

As at least some of you, I too am joining various boards/forums/book clubs to get my new ebook and name "out there." And also exchange tips on good reads. At least I get to do so in my shorts and t-shirt from my home office. Imagine if I had to do this "face to face!" Or worse, door to door! Yikes! As I'm not a pretty sight in the morning! Or afternoon. Or evening, come to think of it.  (No. I'm not trying to be funny. Just stating a fact.)

Anyway, I hope I have better luck here than at another board where I guess I'm not liked very much by the administrator for whatever reason. (And no, I'm not bad mouthing anyone. Just stating a fact.)

Back when I was a kid, I LOVED reading comic books. That's how I got into reading. Some of those comic books went on to become huge motion pictures like Spider-Man, X-Men, and Iron Man to name but a few.

Now I own a Kindle and have ebooks ranging from science (Parallel Worlds - Michio Kaku) to fantasy (The Man Who Folded Himself - David Gerrold). A great book I'm reading a t the moment is called Time Samplers and it is actually a digital comic book! And it looks GREAT on my Kindle Fire HD!! I've come full circle, it seems...

Nice to be able to say "hello" to whomever is reading this!

Marty

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome! Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Spend some time looking at other posts and don't be afraid to ask questions. The Kindle Boards help staff is very helpful.

Good Luck!
-Linda

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! Very kind of you. I've already made a "friend" and have also bought an ebook that I ran across in this board. Hope to make more "kindle board friends" and fill up my kindle with great reads! Now I got even more "kindle friends"!  ;D

Marty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome Marty! Can never have too many sci-fi fans (though I'm more of a fantasy fan here). :)  

I'm also usually intimidated by forums, but I've found this one to be welcoming and open to discussion. I wish the best for you!

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Greetings, Marty, and welcome aboard.  Glad to have you with us.  In sci/fi speak, may you live long and enjoy every writing success.

Dan --

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Zen7Seven said:
Hi there,

As at least some of you, I too am joining various boards/forums/book clubs to get my new ebook and name "out there." And also exchange tips on good reads. At least I get to do so in my shorts and t-shirt from my home office. Imagine if I had to do this "face to face!" Or worse, door to door! Yikes! As I'm not a pretty sight in the morning! Or afternoon. Or evening, come to think of it. (No. I'm not trying to be funny. Just stating a fact.)

Anyway, I hope I have better luck here than at another board where I guess I'm not liked very much by the administrator for whatever reason. (And no, I'm not bad mouthing anyone. Just stating a fact.)

Back when I was a kid, I LOVED reading comic books. That's how I got into reading. Some of those comic books went on to become huge motion pictures like Spider-Man, X-Men, and Iron Man to name but a few.

Now I own a Kindle and have ebooks ranging from science (Parallel Worlds - Michio Kaku) to fantasy (The Man Who Folded Himself - David Gerrold). A great book I'm reading a t the moment is called Time Samplers and it is actually a digital comic book! And it looks GREAT on my Kindle Fire HD!! I've come full circle, it seems...

Marty
Welcome, Marty. We're a pretty mild bunch here, though discussions can get a bit heated. The Mods do a good job of policing behavior. Avoid inserting yourself into some of the more passionate discussions early on (until you've gotten a good feel for the place) and you should be fine.

And SciFi rocks!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Welcome to KB!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Zen7Seven said:
Hi there,

As at least some of you, I too am joining various boards/forums/book clubs to get my new ebook and name "out there." And also exchange tips on good reads. At least I get to do so in my shorts and t-shirt from my home office. Imagine if I had to do this "face to face!" Or worse, door to door! Yikes! As I'm not a pretty sight in the morning! Or afternoon. Or evening, come to think of it. (No. I'm not trying to be funny. Just stating a fact.)

Marty
Hi Marty! I don't know for sure what board you're talking about, but I have had some bad experiences elsewhere. I think you'll find this board is mostly a friendly lot. ;D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone including you, Mary.

Boy am I depressed.... You say, "I don't know for sure what board you're talking about, but I have had some bad experiences elsewhere."

Well, to say a thing or two about it (will not name names yet as I'm working on a post related to this and area gathering all the facts including screen captures and paypal recipts) I've been a victim of literal theft, fraud and censorship on another "premier" board/forum. Warning to you all. Hopefully this can prevent it happening to you all.

Basically, I was going to have the prestigious and respected Kirkus Review do a professional book review of my ebook, Spirit of Comedy by Max McCullan. As I didn't really want a friend or a family member to write it, as to me, it wouldn't mean anything. Because you see, my intent was to find out for REAL whether my first short story/novella was any good and me then devoting all my time to complete the series.

But since Kirk's Reviews charges about $500 USD for their pro reviews (which it's okay) and my ebook is only 25 pages as opposed to a full novel/book of 150-200-300 pages, I figured I'd go elsewhere. So I did and paid $100 USD for an unbiased honest and pro review (according to the advertisement.) I also took the chance as asked for it to be published no matter WHAT the rating. Again, I was after the TRUTH so that I could know myself whether I should continue pursuing my dream of becoming a full fledged/full time writer.

To cut a long story short, just a few days ago, I get from one of the reviewer's at this "other" web site/book club forum a stellar 4 out of 4 star review!!!

HOW COOL IS THAT!?! Wait.

The review was supposed to be published publically within 48 hrs. of the reviewer sending it in for "editorial touches." (this was on the 23rd of January). To cut another long story short, this other book review club goes on to delete my posts, doesn't' publish the *already written* review, and ignores my emails, PM's, and contacts through a form they have!! Would you believe that?

So now I'm left without my money and my review!!! Granted. My short story (a "comedic sci-fi/fantasy satire," ala Being John Malkovich meets Richard Prior and goes out with Eddie Murphy Raw ), heh, is written in a way that presses people's buttons. Okay? But in a fun way! I promise!!

But for the owner of this other forum/club to literally pull it so that the PUBLIC cannot read it and make up their own mind.... well, to me that smells foul!! And very much like censorship!

Listen, I know that I am venting to total strangers. But I swear that this makes me so upset and angry and then, depressed. I'm at a loss.

I mean, all of you writers know just how much of ourselves we put into our writing (and the money and time and other resources) and to at some point getting acknowledged by someone you are HIRING to give you an *honest* assessment of what you've written (sure, it is all subjective but you know what I mean) to then have it (in my opinion) STOLEN from you...

At least I have a little snippet of what the reviewer "said" to me to see whether the reviewer had actually READ my book and is not simply scamming my money... (He's supposed to say something to me about the ending of the ebook - part of an upcoming series -- have removed potential spoilers):

I loved the ending of this. I found it so funny. It kept just going down the line of twists from God to Max to Mr Triple X to the psychiatrist…. It... it just so d*mn funny! The name "Peter-Philip Peterson" is also a great one. I like the ***** report at the end. It's a nice touch at the end that just makes it. I'd be pretty interested in reading the other books if they are all similar to this story. A really funny read! Cheers!

So there you have it. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. (and I hope I'm not breaking any rules for posting this!) I'm going to try my best to bring this to light as I don't feel it is right to be scammed like this. Not to mention it is cruel and uncalled for. Let's see how this turns out.

The thing is that I DO NOT want my money back for I don't think is fair to ask for a refund, as the reviewer *did DO his job* as promised and paid for!!!

It's the "editor" that has taking it upon himself to prevent the public (and me) from reading the review. WHY??

Thank you for reading this far, Mary, and all.

Marty

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome, Marty!

I am new too and I know how exactly how you feel. I think you're very brave to express your feelings so honestly too. I love that!

I used to love comics as a kid and science fiction as a young adult but haven't read much in those genres recently. Time to get back, perhaps :)

Best wishes,

Anita

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hi Marty,

Welcome to the boards!  Nice to meet you.  Congrats on your new book.  You'll love it here, everyone is so nice.  Enjoy the community!  :)

Lee

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you for the welcome, Imogen Rose.

Wow, you sure have a lot of books out! Don't know if I1ll ever be able to catch up!  Very cool covers!

Zen
(I use to go by "Marty" but someone else here "named" me that. I like it!  8)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts