Kindle Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
genevieveaclark said:
I'm kinda surprised indi authors haven't banded together to do this.

Also, I hear yetis are where it's at. Captive yetis with sandwich boards.

(I love this thread, if only for the sense of relief it brings me: I am not alone! Thank you, southern type.)
We are banding together right now. :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
:D  I like your style.  I could see the bear on the tricycle and singing about your book.  And whispering in a noisy room is a perfect analogy.  I'm not sure what works, so you do what you can and hope for the best.  Not a great plan, I admit.
J.A. Konrath has a plan, as does Amanda Hocking.  Both are extraordinarily successful.  I'm not a great planner.  I'm spontaneous. Or haphazard, which you want to call it. I outline my books by taking copious notes along with a lot of cerebral outlning, and from there on I'm writing by the seat of my pants, literally.  And marketing the same way.  I have a few book signings this month at local bookstores, and I do find that one format feeds the other, if that's a help.  Great thread. 

Joan

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
anne_holly said:
If I had money, I would pay someone to do the promo stuff for me, except for whatever they strongly recommend I do myself to add a "personal touch."
I heard someone tell this story second-hand once:

Some actress... I think maybe Julia Roberts or Angelina Jolie or someone like that... was on Leno and the conversation went something like this:

LENO: So, what it's like to be paid $20 million to act in a movie, something you clearly love doing?

ACTRESS: Oh, the acting I do for free. I charge $20 million a picture to do this, to promote them.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Ooops. I may have been drawn in by a bit of Hollywood Urban Legend.

Seems the quote dates back as far as Edward G. Robinson in the 30s and 40s.

Here's its most recent permutation, an interview with TRUE BLOOD actor Ryan Kwanten on Collider.com:

COLLIDER.COM: I’ve spoken to a lot of actors, and they tell me that because they love the craft of acting, that they almost don’t get paid to act, they get paid to promote.

KWANTEN: Yeah, I mean even the acting process I get paid to wait between setups, and the acting I do free.  And it’s, anything extracurricular outside of that is, you know just in terms of a social life I never really, that’s not something that interests me like going out there and promoting myself socially doesn’t really intrigue me.  I’d much rather have my work do it for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually think promotion is kind of cool, but I've enjoyed doing promos and marketing for things in other arenas. I'm still learning how to do it in the ebook market. I think the advice on this blog that your best promotion is more material because it cross-advertises older material makes a lot of sense. If you have more than one title, and you hook a reader with one title, your potential for sales rises exponentially. That's smart advice. And as a brand new, first novel author, I'm going to take it!

http://thebostonconnexion.com

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think #samplesunday is a reasonable place to start promotion.

My blog always gets a rush of hits on Sunday. My books are splattered on the sidebar, so not only do visitors read the book sample, they see my other books as well - hope the books eventually lodge in the visitors heads.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts