Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to publish my second novel in the series, and I've taken quite a bit of feedback from readers who say that the current red cover doesn't tell them ANYTHING about the book inside.

Apparently, I can see the connection, but it's too abstract. Readers have also mentioned that they thought the book was a horror book. It's not. It's Paranormal Mystery/Thriller.

In that light, when I publish the second book, Thaloc Has a Body, I want to re-cover both books to give them the same theme.

Any feedback on the two covers would be GREATLY appreciated. Do you think I should re-cover the first book? Or leave it as-is?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I really like those covers, especially because they tie in with one another. I'd pick one of those off the shelf in a bookstore.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes, definitely go with the new covers they are both amazing.

However, the eyes do look a little funny...almost too solid as if someone just painted a blue circle around the iris. I'd suggest tweaking that part slightly to give it a more realistic look. Otherwise, both covers are beautiful and striking.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The original definitely screams horror.  Both your new covers are more in keeping with the paranormal theme.  I would not pick up the original cover.  The new covers, definitely.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I normally don't reply if my opinion has already been stated by somebody else.  If you're wanting to hear from more people, though, I agree with what's been said.  The original cover makes me think horror, while the two new ones seem more indicative of paranormal thriller.  All three covers look good; it's just a question of what you're wanting readers to think when they see them.  I also like that the two new covers are easily identifiable as being part of the same series.

I have no idea how to fix it, but I'd agree with Razzle that the blue eye seems a little 'off' to me.  I'd encourage you to keep them striking, but somehow just a bit more real.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jim Franz said:
I have no idea how to fix it, but I'd agree with Razzle that the blue eye seem a little 'off' to me. I'd encourage you to keep them striking, but somehow just a bit more real.
It's not too difficult. If you are using a program like photoshop you can set the color layer to overlay or softlight. Feel free to email me for more help at [email protected]

Amanda

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you ALL for your insight! I appreciate it so much.

I've posted the new "blue eye." If it looks the same as before press Ctrl-F5 to reload as it may stay cached on your browser.

Does that one look more realistic? I still want it a BIT creepy, but I agree that the former one looked more awkward than creepy. =)

·
Registered
132 Posts
jhanel said:
Thank you ALL for your insight! I appreciate it so much.

I've posted the new "blue eye." If it looks the same as before press Ctrl-F5 to reload as it may stay cached on your browser.

Does that one look more realistic? I still want it a BIT creepy, but I agree that the former one looked more awkward than creepy. =)
I think you misunderstood me. I loved the original color of the eyes. I just wanted it to have more depth like a real eye does. If you look at an eye there are hundreds of different shades within the main color, some have lines radiating out from the iris, or even a ring of color like hazel in the overall green tone.

I can do it for you if you'll send me the layered files.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's what I did. Maybe yours didn't refresh. =(

I'd be glad to send the file anyway. =) Just didn't want to waste too much of your time fiddling with an image that you didn't even create.

·
Registered
132 Posts
No it wouldn't take but a minute. No worries. However, I'm about to crash to bed so I won't be able to do it until tomorrow. :) I did refresh the image though the new version is much lighter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts