Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be launching two new books soon and I'm torn as to the best strategy for doing so. One is a novel (not part of a series); the other is nonfiction. I'm pondering whether I should launch these books via Select and capitalize on potential borrows, or spread them out across all the usual vendors. Select free promotion doesn't have the benefits that it used to, so I'm not sure I'll utilize it, at least during launch. I pulled my current three books from Select last December and listed them with the other usual suspects. Anyway, I'd welcome thoughts on this question of the best launch strategy, fully aware, of course, that one size does not fit all.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I honestly don't know how KDP Select can be a boost for non-fiction. None.

As I explained in a different post, when I buy non-fiction, it's because I need to know the info contained in that book THEN. I'm not going to be trolling non-fiction free lists to see if something looks interesting. If I need the info, I'll buy it whatever the price. Free isn't going to make me want to download it if I wasn't already in need of that info. So really you're just cutting off a large portion of the potential book-buying market for not much return, I think.

As for fiction, if you already have customers on the other platforms, you risk alientating them by not making the new book available to them. That being said, 90 days isn't forever.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
James, the truth is, it's a gamble either way. Some authors have had good success with Select, others, not so much.

However, since your fiction piece is new, I don't think you have to worry so much about alienating readers on non-Amazon platforms. Not unless you've got a large fanbase.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ty Johnston said:
James, the truth is, it's a gamble either way. Some authors have had good success with Select, others, not so much.

However, since your fiction piece is new, I don't think you have to worry so much about alienating readers on non-Amazon platforms. Not unless you've got a large fanbase.
As for fiction, if you already have customers on the other platforms, you risk alienating them by not making the new book available to them.
Yeah, it definitely is a gamble either way. I'm leaning going multiple platforms because I do get queries from Nook owners; and I do sell some books through Kobo and iTunes. I just don't see an overriding incentive to go with Select any more. I never did get many borrows when my books were in there.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Javier Gimenez Sasieta said:
I do recommend smashwords over KDP Select. I've obtained much more sales from Smashwords (which sells the book over a lot of vendors, including apple, Sony, kobo and B&N).

KDP Select is a good idea, but the exclusivity is not.
I can't put up with Smashwords' meatgrinder and convoluted web site. I use Draft2Digital as a much better alternative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.