Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wanted a kindle for a year or so... but just wasn't totally sure (sometimes hard to justify spending that much money on myself, then knowing I'll buy books for it, not second-hand).  This Christmas, my husband gave me the money and said "Merry Christmas, Now just order it".  So I'm waiting now for it to arrive (end of Feb or so).

I live in SW Oh with my husband, 4 kids (well, 3 kids.. my oldest daughter moved out and is expecting my first grandbaby! yay me!) and 4 dogs.  I have crohn's disease and while diagnosed 2 years ago, still have not managed to get it under control for any long stretch of time.  I am looking forward to knowing I have my kindle with me and ready to go on any hospital trips I may face in the future.  Knowing I have a whole bookstore at my fingertips will make it more than worth every penny!

I thought maybe I'd hold out longer to get my kindle.. thinking at this point, they are likely working on a kindle 2.. but then I decided when the 2nd ever comes out.. I'll upgrade and pass my original to my boys or daughter.  I like that idea a lot, lol!

I love to read, but mostly I have been reading crime/ mystery/ suspense type books. 

Anyway, I'm glad I found this forum... I'm so excited to get my kindle now that it's order, I feel like a little kid!  I keep checking my email every day to see if maybe they've gotten them in and are ready to ship, lol. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Welcome Madaise - it is nice to have you here.

Good luck on your crohn's, I do know people that eventually have gotten where it was "manageable" but that it does take time.  Keep us posted here on your progress.

In the meantime you can read all sorts of stuff here that will help you, find books you might enjoy, we have several authors on the board that really write marvelous suspense/mystery/crime books.  Not big names but their books are every bit as good if not better.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Madaise!

Glad you joined us. We are a great support system as you wait on your Kindle! Keep us posted on your delivery date. We love Kindle watch here.  :)

Linda

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Welcome Madaise! 

Glad you could join us.  As an Ohio native I'm always happy to see another Buckeye on the boards.  I'm from southwest Ohio too.  Once you get your Kindle you will love it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Madaise! Glad to have you here!

I am sure you'll love your Kindle once it arrives. Here's hoping for a delivery date in the near future.

L

·
Registered
224 Posts
Welcome Madaise, I'm from Columbus Ohio also! i wish you well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi Madaise and a warm welcome to you.

I, like you, felt a bit guilty when I first ordered the Kindle.  I've never had a guilty moment since it arrived.  Just think of all the books you won't have lying around or you won't hear "mom, I don't need any more books as I unload my read books" ;)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome! I also wanted one last year for Christmas, but they had sold out. This year my children gave it to me for Christmas and I love it. I know you will enjoy it and good luck with your health.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, Madaise -

Welcome Aboard!  Glad to have you here  :)

I'm happy your husband gifted you with a Kindle and hope it arrives sooner rather than later. 

I support Anju's recommendation of the mystery writers here on the KB.  They are good reads.  There was a good True Crime thread that you could probably find on a search.  Well, may not.  I just tried it and Zilch.  Pidgeon, I think you started it?

I'm a pet lover, so I hope you can post some pictures of your dogs on the Pet thread.  If you don't know how, just ask!  Many are willing to help out with questions.

Cheers,

Marci

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hi and welcome Madaise! It's nice to have you here.

My nephew was diagnosed when he was 15 and now at 21 it's manageable. He has gotten to the point where his treatments are stretched 3 months apart...he's doing that well. That said, he knows not to indulge in some trigger foods, etc and takes good care of himself. I have to say that the kid looks good :)

I know that the Kindle will be great for you to pass the time away when and if you have hospital jaunts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for such a great welcome.  Very Very nice. :)

@ Marci - I will certainly try to post pics of my dogs on the pet thread.

I love true crime so I'll keep an eye out for that thread too.

@ KCFoggin - Any guilt I felt at the thought of ordering my kindle has completely left and now it's just a matter of excitement at getting it.  :)  But when I read what you wrote, I was nodding my head in understanding.

Everyone else.. thank you.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome, Madaise. This is a great site for all things Kindle. Are you able yet to buy books for your Kindle and take advantage of the great prices posted in the Bargain Books thread and the Free Books thread?

Good luck on your getting the Crohn's Disease under control. With your Kindle, you WILL have a full library in your purse! (And it will weigh a little over 10 ounces!)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome Madaise!  It's wonderful to have you here.  We look forward to your posts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts