Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the best parts of publishing fantasy is seeing what the cover artist comes up with, and everyone loves a cover thread.

Here's the cover for my next book. The typography is a placeholder (and I'm open to suggestions).

EDIT: I resized it the stupid way. Updated.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I'd try a different color for the title text.  That gold seems like it would blend into the pale background in thumbnail.  The image is rather intriguing.  Those robot-looking guys are kind of creepy.  :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I really like it. The only thing I'd suggest is doing something to the title to make it stand out against the moon more.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions for where to find fonts and/or recommended tools to add the text?  I'm working with GIMP and I can't tell if it sucks, I suck, or both.

·
Registered
502 Posts
For fonts try fontsquirrel.com or fontspring.com  They're all commercially created, so not like Dafont, where the spacing is likely off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
for fonts you can try fontspace.com - all free downloadable fonts.
If you need any help, I do font design at reasonable pricing:
http://www.thefontdiva.com

I would agree with the earlier poster... it needs to stand out against the moon more. You'll need to also download layer styles if you wish to get more than just a simple color :)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
The illustration's sweet, but the top is a tough place to put a long title--it's dark/light/dark. Making text stand out across that will take some work. I'm no artist, but is there a way to make the title stand out on one part of the cover that's fairly consistent in overall contrast?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree.  It's a tough spot.  My best shot is probably to outline the text in a dark color.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Gorgeous illustration! Do try to add shadow to the text (not the standard one that comes with Photoshop, play with it's settings) or change the color (altho I see why the color is selected, it's good, just background isn't contrasting with it).

Or just consider switching title with author name.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Love the illustration, but the choice of font is questionable. Just my opinion. Congratulations either way!  :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Kathelm said:
I agree. It's a tough spot. My best shot is probably to outline the text in a dark color.
If you go the outline route, and have access to layer styles, my advice would be to use outer glow, rather than stroke or drop shadow. Just switch the glow to a darker color, and change the layer style from... Screen to Burn or Multiply, I believe it is. Then lower the transparency percentage until you barely see the glow. That should help separate the letters from the background without looking like you went hog wild with the font effects.

If you don't have access to layer styles and FX, but want to give it a try, I'd be happy to do it for you free of charge.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks. Here it is with the title and by-line swapped, and outlined text. Better?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Much better.
The only other improvement, is use the "blend tool" gradient and fade from black to transparent from the top down under the author name and up from the bottom to somewhere in the title. That way the focus of the image is pinched and the words are better highlighted. Also look at fonts on 'league of moveable type'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts