Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've re-covered this ebook. The MC is a Jamaican detective who has come over to Scotland to work for Police Scotland. It's a mystery. What's your opinion of the cover?

View attachment 28492
Honestly, the cover doesn't scream "mystery" to me at all. It looks more like something for a fashion or modeling magazine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your replies. It was something I got for free on Unsplash and I thought I'd work with it. But between here and another site, the general feeling is it doesn't convey mystery. I'll probably buy a premade.

·
Registered
12,278 Posts
I love mystery and detective stories but I have to agree that this doesn't look like a mystery, just a close-up of a pretty woman. The colors and fonts are fine, IMO, it's the close focus on the character that doesn't fit the mood of most bestsellers in Amazon's mystery category. Would probably be better to have something zoomed out a little and suggesting action or danger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Damn, that woman is pretty. Anyway, I'm torn because (as a woman who writes mysteries/romantic suspense), I've seen many mystery covers like this one. I'm sure they were female-sleuth mysteries first of all. So I wouldn't say this cover doesn't look like one of those sexy, mystery-noir books but either way it needs punching up. Right now it looks just like a photo with some text slapped over it. Something is missing. And though the red catches the eye, I'm thinking the coloring could be better.

But, sure, I've seen many mysteries with this type of cover. There are a variety of sub-genres of mysteries so not all covers in mystery look like JD Robb for example.

This cover has stylish and noir written all over it. But I'd put in a landscape background. I think that would be more intriguing.

Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/House-Secret-Romantic-Mystery-Jenessa-ebook/dp/B00G05X52E/

Put your woman on a background and do some different shading to give it a mysterious feel. I really think a background would make it more interesting and it stands out. It would even look more mysterious if you left her black and white but had the background in color. Just a suggestion.

I make covers. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts