Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok late last night I was on amazon forum looking around, as I do from time to time.

I read one post and the OP said he knew someone in amazon relatively high up in the kindle department that said the K2 is getting a Folders upgrade on the eve of the DX release. They will be called "groupings" not folders but the idea is the same.

Now I'm sure I am contributing to spreading rumors if this turns out false but I thought I'd share anyways because wishful thinking and all that!

I will try to find the link to the original post and edit it here.

ETA: here is the original post-- this guy got shot down pretty quick on his rumor but I'm still hoping maybe this one turns out true!!

http://www.amazon.com/tag/kindle/forum/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=TxZ8V3AVXXYAHP&displayType=tagsDetail

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Okay--I just fell over in shock and delight

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CS said:
Would suck if K1 users are left out in the cold when there's no reason we should be.
I agree completely it would be unfair to any K1 users. But I could see amazon only giving the "groupings" updates to K2 users in hopes that would be enough incentive to get K1 users to upgrade to a K2 or a DX.

Still unfair but if they did only give it to k2 users I think that would be there angle.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's a shame if it's just a baseless rumor, as adding folders would be a really great addition. I hope we do see them in some form eventually.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Greg Banks said:
Unfortunately the original poster is known over there as a frequent rumor spreader, and not someone who has reliability cred to his name. So...
The same poster also tried last night to convince someone that using a skin would violate Amazon's warranty. ::)

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Man, those people are mean over there!

I know none of you will flame me for asking this because you are all so nice, but I've never understood the need for folders. Could someone explain to me how we would use them?

I never keep all my books on the Kindle and with the K2 having the archive feature, all my Amazon books are a click away if I want to move them over to the Kindle memory. Books from other sources are stored on my computer and I transfer them over via USB a few at a time when I need them. I never have more than 3 pages in my Home pages.

I also have my Amazon books backed up on my computer by author's last name. I rename all the .azw files according to this model: Last name, First name_Title.azw. Everything is perfectly organized and at my fingertips.

I'm not saying Amazon shouldn't provide folders. I just need an explanation of how they would benefit us. Do those of you who want folders keep all the ebooks you own on the Kindle at all times?

Just askin'...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
DD said:
I know none of you will flame me for asking this because you are all so nice, but I've never understood the need for folders. Could someone explain to me how we would use them?
If you have a lot of books, it would be nice to sort them into different categories.... Read/Unread... Samples... Sci-Fi... Historical Fiction... etc.

However, I don't like to keep a lot of books on my Kindle, so I am not missing them either.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I keep a LOT of books on my Kindle 1, love having a library with me, and I don't miss folders much either.
;D

I generally have them sorted by "most recent", but if I'm looking for a book, I'll sort by title or author.

Betsy

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
DD said:
I'm not saying Amazon shouldn't provide folders. I just need an explanation of how they would benefit us. Do those of you who want folders keep all the ebooks you own on the Kindle at all times?

Just askin'...
In your case, they probably wouldn't be of benefit at all. :)

For me, yes, I keep ALL my books on the Kindle at all times. Why? First off--why give me nearly 2 gigs of storage & then expect me not to use it? Secondly, I'm a voracious re-reader. When I'm looking for something to read, I'll usually look at the current inventory first. When that inventory is on Amazon's servers, I'm subject to the whims of whether or not the wireless service is working where I am. If I'm at home, it's a non issue, but when I was at my in laws last month, we had NO service in the house, and there was a literal blizzard outside. I've also been in public places where the connection was sketchy at best. I don't want to have to carry a laptop with me to add books to the K2 from my own backup files. And the biggest reason of all is that this is WHY I bought a Kindle in the first place--to have my library at my fingertips & with me at all times in a lightweight, portable package.

For me, folders are a no brainer, because even at 100+ books, it's already a pain to find what I'm looking for. It will only get worse from here.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I can definitely see why those who keep a majority of their books on their Kindle would want folders.
For me personally I delete them from my Kindle when I am done reading them.I do however always have about 8 books or so on them so that if I found myself somewhere out of Whispernet range for any period of time I would still have plenty of reading material.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A bit further down the original poster says that the 'groupings' would also be for the K1 as well. All this of course is taken with a grain of salt. One question for me and others  who haven't owned their Kindles for that long: has Amazon ever released a new feature this big within a firmware update? Or generally do the features for the respective Kindles remain unchanged through their product cycles?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I noticed how alot of people said this guy is usually spreading false rumors.

But maybe this is the time he could be telling the truth-- Maybe?? *crosses fingers* lol

I figured it was probably just wishful thinking but ya never know

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I keep a lot of books on my Kindle just in case I change my mind about what I want to read.  Currently I have 20+ pages.  I think my wants for a tagging system are to supplement the still-buggy metadata.  Author names are still not consistent so sorting that way is sometimes frustrating for me.  And my memory is getting worse - I find it next to impossible to remember the order of a series of books if it's not included in the title.  If I could easily tag the books, it would make keeping a long list much easier.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
koolmnbv said:
I noticed how alot of people said this guy is usually spreading false rumors.

But maybe this is the time he could be telling the truth-- Maybe?? *crosses fingers* lol

I figured it was probably just wishful thinking but ya never know
As my husband loves to say, even a stopped clocked is right twice a day! :D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
VictoriaP said:
In your case, they probably wouldn't be of benefit at all. :)

For me, yes, I keep ALL my books on the Kindle at all times. Why? First off--why give me nearly 2 gigs of storage & then expect me not to use it? Secondly, I'm a voracious re-reader. When I'm looking for something to read, I'll usually look at the current inventory first. When that inventory is on Amazon's servers, I'm subject to the whims of whether or not the wireless service is working where I am. If I'm at home, it's a non issue, but when I was at my in laws last month, we had NO service in the house, and there was a literal blizzard outside. I've also been in public places where the connection was sketchy at best. I don't want to have to carry a laptop with me to add books to the K2 from my own backup files. And the biggest reason of all is that this is WHY I bought a Kindle in the first place--to have my library at my fingertips & with me at all times in a lightweight, portable package.

For me, folders are a no brainer, because even at 100+ books, it's already a pain to find what I'm looking for. It will only get worse from here.
You're right, VictoriaP. To be stuck somewhere without a book would be a nightmare for me too. That hasn't happened to me yet but, now that you mention it, I can see situations where that could happen. For instance, on a cruise (next year), I would want to load up my books before I left and a system to organize them would be nice.

·
Registered
568 Posts
suicidepact said:
A bit further down the original poster says that the 'groupings' would also be for the K1 as well. All this of course is taken with a grain of salt. One question for me and others who haven't owned their Kindles for that long: has Amazon ever released a new feature this big within a firmware update? Or generally do the features for the respective Kindles remain unchanged through their product cycles?
When the K2 came out, there was an update to the K1. It added image zooming and a few other minor features, so there is a slight possibility that they might update a K1 feature or two in the future.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts