Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I live up in the frozen tundra (Winter) also referred to as God's country (the rest of the year) . . . . Maine.

I received my Kindle from the D/W as a Christmas gift and am here to tell anybody that wants to listen that it is probably one of my top 3 gifts of all time.

I love it. I read a lot . . . . mostly novels, but some biographies, military history and others genres.

Things I like about the Kindle.

a. Size and weight . . . . beats the heck out of a standard sized book.

b. Price of books . . . . brand new books for $10 just can't be beat

c. Ability to change font sizes . . . . important to an older guy like me (66). My eyes get tired as the day progresses and if necessary, I just up the font size . . .can't do that with a book

d. Speed of download . . . . . .

Things I have a problem with

a. Right side page turning button. . . . . I have accidentally hit this more times than I can count. Once, I had shut the Kindle cover to answer the phone . . . my 4 pound dog decided to sit on my lap, jumped up and landed on the Kindle. Accidentally fast forwarded the book many, many, many pages. Had to back track page by page. I have also accidentally forwarded two or 3 pages at a time. I see from pictures of the K2 that the right hand button has been decreased in size . . . . . that's an improvement for sure.

b. Forward button on both sides of the book . . . . . why?

c. Speed of download.

Thing I absolutely dislike about the Kindle

a. The book cover that comes with the package . . . . . . IMO, pretty useless. When reading in bed, the book has a tendency to "travel". When I push it back into the holder is normally when I will fast forward a page or two.

Let me explain why I both like and dislike the speed of download. Actually it has to do with the "wireless". I do not have wireless in my home and there is only one small area of the house where I have the ability to download (and I suspect my next door neighbor is supplying me with the wireless). The actual speed of downloading is fantastic. I was on a trip a couple of weeks ago . . . saw a book I wanted. I was in the hotel room (wireless provided). Got into the store, typed in the book, sent the request and the book showed up on the Kindle within a minute or two. Loved that.

I look forward to looking around this site and picking up as much information as I can about this wonderful thing called the Kindle.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, DocJohnB! Thank you for the nice intro. There is a LOT of information available here at KindleBoards and some very experienced kindle Owners. If you eve have have a question, feel free to ask. I am sure someone will be able to help. In the mean time, look around in the Book corner for suggestions on a new read, Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting for help there and Accessories if you ever want to upgrade your cover. Glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hi Doc - your DW is one special lady!  Congratulations!  I bookmark, scroll up to the corner and press the scroll before I put my kindle down, I also try - key word try - to put it to sleep when I have to get up in a hurry, my kindle is more important LOL  but you will adjust easily.  You can also order a K2 and sell the K1, the K2 page turn buttons are smaller.  I have no problem with mine, you can also hold your kindle on the keyboard, try it,

Leslie - our lovable kindle guru is also from Maine, so must be something pretty nifty about you Maine folks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
luvmy4brats said:
Welcome! A quick word about the whispernet... It's not wireless like your internet. It uses Sprint cellphone 3G technology. No need to worry that you're using your neighbors internet.
Now that you mention that, in the dark recesses of my mind, I knew it, but had forgotten.

We have pretty poor Sprint coverage in this neck of the woods, but looking on their website there is some just to the west of us, so maybe there is just enough "bleed" from that. But only one little section of my house . . . . . hmmm.

I usually overcome this by ordering from Amazon online, then placing the Kindle in that "little section" of the house, plugged in and wireless button on. Seems to work most of the time.

But the quick download in the motel sure spoiled me :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Welcome Doc  ;D  There are a few of us from Maine here.  You are in the right place to chat with others who have found the love of the kindle.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Doc, welcome! Another Mainer checking in. Glad to have you here. This is a fun and friendly place.

L

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome DocJohnB:

I enjoyed reading your intro, and look forward to more from you.

My DH gave me my Kindle, and like you I tell anyone and everyone it was my best Xmas gift ever.

Are you originally from Maine, or away?  ;D

·
Registered
33 Posts
isn't there a state law that requires Maine residents to only identify themselves from maine, if they were born there. everyone else has to qualify themselves as "I live in maine since...." or "my spouse's family has been in Maine for 3 generations, anow"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts