Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to the board and was directed here to introduce myself.  I am a science teacher at a Career Center in Mid Western Ohio (farm country).  I also teach one period a day at the local high school of Digital Electronics through Project Lead the Way, a Pre-Engineering course for high school students.  I talked my parents in to getting me the Kindle for Christmas and then giving it to me early.  As you can probably tell, my parents are two great and understanding people.  So far I have the 3 recent freebies and I bought Against Medical Advice, Angela's Ashes and Barrack Obama's Audacity of Hope.  Also I have a whole bunch of the free classics that are out there.  So far, from what I can see, this forum is a great place to talk about the Kindle and I'm glad to be a part of it!

Jonny P

I

·
0 Posts
Howdy and welcome.  This is one of the finest forums I have ever had the pleasure to join.  Look around, find something that interests you and dive in, the water's fine,

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Welcome Welcome,  say the secred word and win_______.    Anyone remember where this came from?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard JonnyP,

Lots of discussions and interesting helps and tips for the Kindle here, so make yourself at home.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Dori said:
Welcome Welcome, say the secred word and win_______. Anyone remember where this came from?
You Bet Your Life, or so I've been told. ;)

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Welcome, Jonny!  The guys here must have sent for reinforcements!

We have the Book Corner for book recommendations and the Tips and Tricks section, plus lots of other good stuff!  Glad you're joining us!

Betsy

·
Registered
869 Posts
Jonny -

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Have you showed your Kindle to your students? 

Your book list looks great  :)

Cheers,

Marci

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marci said:
Jonny -

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Have you showed your Kindle to your students?

Your book list looks great :)

Cheers,

Marci
I showed the Kindle to my Digital Electronics students. There is one kid in there who also has to have the coolest and next great thing and he said "yeah well I can just read books on my Ipod Touch." I whipped around and said, "how dare you disgrace the Kindle's name with such an inferior product. Go to the office." I'm just kidding, I didn't really say that (even though I wanted to.) I mentioned how small the Ipod touch's screen is (seriously it's probably 1/3 the size of the Kindle) and how reading on the Ipod would almost definitely cause severe eye problems. I didn't show the Kindle to my students at the Career Center since a lot of the kids only care about the lab program they're in. I do occasionally have some students that see the Kindle on my desk and ask about it and I tell them what it is. I showed one student who doesn't like academics at all and he said "You're parents got you that for Christmas?! Did you make them mad about something?!. I'd be mad if my parents got me some stupid reading thing." I guess to each his own.

Jonny P

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, Jonny -

"I showed one student who doesn't like academics at all and he said "You're parents got you that for Christmas?! Did you make them mad about something?!. I'd be mad if my parents got me some stupid reading thing." I guess to each his own."

Wow, I never would have expected such a, uh, "sour" comment about the Kindle. I'd be through the roof with excitement if this was a gift for me!

Maybe its only for The Few. The Proud. The Kindleholics. ;D

Marci

I

·
0 Posts
Some people just do not understand the joy or value of books.  If there were more people like them, we'd all still be drawing crude pictures on cave walls and eating raw meat.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
sciteach602 said:
I showed the Kindle to my Digital Electronics students. There is one kid in there who also has to have the coolest and next great thing and he said "yeah well I can just read books on my Ipod Touch." I whipped around and said, "how dare you disgrace the Kindle's name with such an inferior product. Go to the office." I'm just kidding, I didn't really say that (even though I wanted to.) I mentioned how small the Ipod touch's screen is (seriously it's probably 1/3 the size of the Kindle) and how reading on the Ipod would almost definitely cause severe eye problems. I didn't show the Kindle to my students at the Career Center since a lot of the kids only care about the lab program they're in. I do occasionally have some students that see the Kindle on my desk and ask about it and I tell them what it is. I showed one student who doesn't like academics at all and he said "You're parents got you that for Christmas?! Did you make them mad about something?!. I'd be mad if my parents got me some stupid reading thing." I guess to each his own.

Jonny P
Some people are seem to feel that someone else's choice (Kindle) devalues their own choice (iPod Touch). Others just like to bad mouth anything that someone else likes...don't know what that's all about. But especially teenagers are trying to build their own egos all the time. I hated being a teenager and am glad that's all behind me. Many, many, many years......

We do have an eyedoc on the board and he explained very clearly why the Kindle is better for our eyes....

Betsy

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My geeky nephew has the IpodTouch thing.  He had told me that is how he reads his scriptures/books when travelling. 

Then when he saw my Kindle he said "Wow"  that is much better for reading.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Dori said:
My geeky nephew has the IpodTouch thing. He had told me that is how he reads his scriptures/books when travelling.

Then when he saw my Kindle he said "Wow" that is much better for reading.
That's great that he could see the benefits. Some people just get defensive.

Betsy

I

·
0 Posts
All this reminds me of my year in the seventh grade I think.  In my science class, the teacher was insisting on teaching everyone how to use a slide rule. 

A few of the richer kids had the new fangled calculators.  He refused to let them use them.

By eighth grade, the slide rule's rule was pretty much over and calculators were ruling supream through out school.

Some people just resist change, no matter how good it is.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts