Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Hope all is well. We have been working hard and are happy to announce our new cover design for the Kindle. We wanted a cover that was stylish yet functional. Due to the high increase in requests for a book cover design we decided to go this route.

Attached are a several photos of the cover in action. The unit is secure from any dings and scratches. Can lay flat on any surface not like most leather cases out there. You can use the unit in both a portrait and or landscape mode. You can also detach the unit from the exterior shell and it will stand on it's own.

Please don't mind my messy desk and the lack of battery life my Kindle has .. lol .. :)

We would like to hear what you think?

-J

Thanks, -J

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Nice design.  Exterior is very nice.  I like how it lays flat.

In the bottom photo on the left, what are the 4 things that look like snaps?

Since I am not very fond of the corner straps, I prefer that they are the same color as the lining to blend in a little bit more but that is just personal preference.  They are place well on the bottom not to obstruct the keys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the four things that look like snaps are magnets. This is a two piece cover. One is the exterior shell and the other is the stand.

and yes we can do the straps the same color as the lining (no problem at all).

If there is anything else just let us know.

and yes from what we notice on our first attempt at this was the ability to lay the unit completely flat as most other covers out there don't they are kind of slanted at an angle.

maries said:
Nice design. Exterior is very nice. I like how it lays flat.

In the bottom photo on the left, what are the 4 things that look like snaps?

Since I am not very fond of the corner straps, I prefer that they are the same color as the lining to blend in a little bit more but that is just personal preference. They are place well on the bottom not to obstruct the keys.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment no, but we are coming out with a DX version soon.

scarlet said:
do you do DX or just K3?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know what you mean .. I'm sure everyone else says that .. but I'm being serious .. just in terms of popularity most of our customers or potential customers always request kindle 3, nook, and or Kobo but the Kindle DX we really don't get that many request so we tend to focus on the hot selling units.

scarlet said:
sigh... i've heard that "soon" before...

·
Registered
20,439 Posts
it's a catch 22, i think.  if you don't offer DX covers, DX owners don't buy your stuff, but you can't sell it if you don't see a market for it.

not blaming you, i'm happy with my javoedge, but i would like options.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Nice design, I'm assuming the tree is a reference to the Kindle symbol with the boy sitting under the tree reading?  Love the lining, it looks so soft, but I agree the corners need to be the same color as the lining.  There's too much of a contrast between the Kindle and the color of the corners.

Good job!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love the design, Joe V.  Excellent choice. 
Personally, I like the corners in the brown leather.
My only suggestion would be to re-position the snap so it starts on the front cover and snaps around the bottom.  With a heavy leather cover, I'm not worried that it would smash the screen but I would find it awfully distracting while reading. If it was on the front of the cover, it wouldn't be in your frame of vision while reading. 
Love it!
Thanks for the preview -
Lilith

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am not following, where are the magnets in connection with the Kindle cover?  It isn't a good thing to have magnets around electronic, even a Kindle.  But, other then that, I think it looks rich.  What are the estimates on cost

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey K-man for this particular design, yes we went with an engraving route for the tree design.

-J

K-Man said:
Nice job. Is that laser engraving on the front? Price for the unit?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, the tree is just a design we picked up but no reference to the Kindle Symbol with the boy sitting under the tree. The reason we did the corners that color is because they are leather, so we tried to be consistent with the leather parts being the same color and the lining the other, but we can easily change that.

PG4003 (Patricia) said:
Nice design, I'm assuming the tree is a reference to the Kindle symbol with the boy sitting under the tree reading? Love the lining, it looks so soft, but I agree the corners need to be the same color as the lining. There's too much of a contrast between the Kindle and the color of the corners.

Good job!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Lilith,

Yeah the snap position is always tricky with the different kind of units we work with. We were even inclined to let it go without a snap or locking mechanism but felt that would not be secure. This is still a mock up stage we may still roll out some changes before we go live but we wanted to see what the initial reaction was of this cover.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Lilith said:
I love the design, Joe V. Excellent choice.
Personally, I like the corners in the brown leather.
My only suggestion would be to re-position the snap so it starts on the front cover and snaps around the bottom. With a heavy leather cover, I'm not worried that it would smash the screen but I would find it awfully distracting while reading. If it was on the front of the cover, it wouldn't be in your frame of vision while reading.
Love it!
Thanks for the preview -
Lilith

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The magnets are on the back portion of the stand, nothing that is directly touching or coming close to the unit. There is protective padding. I'll try to take another photo of the unit tomorrow so you can get a better view of the back portion of the stand so you can see the functionality of this cover. With most covers we seen the unit is locked to the case, with ours we wanted that freedom of detaching it from the outer shell in case you wanted a bit more freedom.

Estimates in terms of cost are still being pondered but we definitely want to compete with what's is out there, so we are setting an aggressive price range of $70 - $75.

pmmom2 said:
I am not following, where are the magnets in connection with the Kindle cover? It isn't a good thing to have magnets around electronic, even a Kindle. But, other then that, I think it looks rich. What are the estimates on cost

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey All,

So we made some modifications to the initial comp and we are now happy with the overall finish product ready for production. Changes we made are listed below:

1. We removed the detachable stand which made the case slimmer and unit stationary within the case.

2. Removed snap press locking scheme and replaced it with snap (head) and elastic string. This reduces any pressure on the unit.

3. Please notice how the spine enables the case to lay completely flat on any surface.

Again, we are pleased on the feedback that was initially provide and are now content with our final prototype which we are working on different designs as we speak to roll out by later this week or early next.

Please let us know what you think.

Photos of version 2 Kindle Book Style Cover is below.

-Joe V. Jr

·
Registered
293 Posts
That is a very beautiful cover- love it  :)

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Joe, that is absolutely beautiful.  Love, love, love how it folds back so flat.  Do you know yet what your options are going to be for the image on the front?  Oh, and how much does it weigh?  Congratulations, you've done a great job!

ETA:  Had to go back and look at the original.  This one looks SO much better with the darker corner straps.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts