·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on gizmodo today:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5201206/kindle-2-gets-pdf-and-epub-ebook-converter

Kindle 2 Gets PDF and EPUB eBook Converter
By Wilson Rothman, 10:20 PM on Mon Apr 6 2009, 3,795 views

While it's not the grand opening of the Kindle app store or anything, a developer decided to write an app for Kindle 2 that converts .pdf and .epub docs to Kindle's beloved .mobi format.

The developer, Jesse Vincent, swears he didn't "hack" the new Kindle-rather, he wrote a "package" that happens to run on it. The thing doesn't crack DRM files, it just converts specific unprotected files on the fly-from PDF and ePub to Mobipocket, so it feels like they are supported by the Kindle 2. (Not, alas, the first-gen Kindle.)

As Jesse says on his blog:

Savory installs a small program which runs on your Kindle and watches for new files in the 'Documents' directory with names ending in '.epub' and '.pdf'. When the system notifies Savory that a document has shown up, it wakes up and runs an open-source file conversion program called Calibre. Savory also updates your Kindle2's browser configuration file to tell it that the Kindle can now handle .pdf and .epub documents.
That said, Jesse isn't sure what he's doing is totally kosher:

Does Savory void my warranty?
I don't know. If you're not comfortable with the possibility, do not install Savory

what's the concensus? would you tamper with the k2 for onboard pdf conversion?

·
Registered
131 Posts
All I want is a program to break the DRM on the few books I bought and paid for from Mobipocket.  I'm still miffed about that one.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
magznyc said:
If it stripped off all the stupid PDF formatting? Yes. Without that ability, no. And Savory doesn't have it as far as I can tell. Right now, it's easy enough to either send a PDF to Amazon for conversion, or to do it myself with Calibre on my desktop. But neither of those options takes out the headers/footers/page numbers/weird line breaks/etc. that make reading a PDF conversion such a tortuous nightmare.

The only reason to do something different would be to do it better, and so far I'm not seeing that this new option is actually an improvement.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The screenshots look fantastic.  Could it be possible it's good enough now?  I've downloaded it, but not sure I want to install it.  He plans further work to include ghostscript that would probably result in this being about as good as you could get.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Zeronewbury said:
All I want is a program to break the DRM on the few books I bought and paid for from Mobipocket. I'm still miffed about that one.
Is the concern here that you can't get read them on your Kindle? It's true you can't just copy Mobi files with DRM straight over to a Kindle but there is a way to solve this. I am not trying to insult you if you already know this but I had the same issue and discovered that the Mobipocket reader will transfer files to my K1 if it's plugged into the computer via USB cable. It's an option in the reader at the top of the screen. It will show supported devices, including your Kindle if it's plugged in. If you choose that option, it will put them in a folder on your Kindle called eBooks, which won't show up on your home screen on the Kindle but if you then use your computer to move them from the eBooks folder to the documents folder, you will then be able to read them on your Kindle. If your concern is the more general objection to DRM, I know there are tools out there for that too although I don't have any experience with any of them.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Sioux said:
If you choose that option, it will put them in a folder on your Kindle called eBooks, which won't show up on your home screen on the Kindle but if you then use your computer to move them from the eBooks folder to the documents folder, you will then be able to read them on your Kindle.
They actually open on the Kindle with no errors? Very interesting....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sioux said:
Is the concern here that you can't get read them on your Kindle? It's true you can't just copy Mobi files with DRM straight over to a Kindle but there is a way to solve this. I am not trying to insult you if you already know this but I had the same issue and discovered that the Mobipocket reader will transfer files to my K1 if it's plugged into the computer via USB cable. It's an option in the reader at the top of the screen. It will show supported devices, including your Kindle if it's plugged in. If you choose that option, it will put them in a folder on your Kindle called eBooks, which won't show up on your home screen on the Kindle but if you then use your computer to move them from the eBooks folder to the documents folder, you will then be able to read them on your Kindle. If your concern is the more general objection to DRM, I know there are tools out there for that too although I don't have any experience with any of them.
I thought I tried that and it does put it on the kindle and then you can move it over to the documents directory, but you can't open it. You can see it listed with the other books, but when you try to open it, an error pops up. Of course, this only occurs with the DRM protected files. Very disappointing when you pay for a book and then can't read it on the kindle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am absolutely not insulted and will try that as soon as I get home!

·
Registered
29 Posts
In retrospect, I don't know if I bought the Mobi format books with DRM from Mobipocket or from another source like Fictionwise.  I do know that all of those that I bought in Mobi format with DRM could be read by copying them over with the reader and putting them in the right folder.  Good luck on making yours work.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
jmeaders said:
The screenshots look fantastic. Could it be possible it's good enough now? I've downloaded it, but not sure I want to install it. He plans further work to include ghostscript that would probably result in this being about as good as you could get.
It does look pretty interesting.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
magznyc said:
Getting other types of files to display on the K2 could been done. The epub is probably fine. However, I doubt that any program, onboard or not, can convert a PDF without errors. I have never seen a flawless PDF conversion on any platform. The question is: Why would someone want on onboard hack to read a poorly formatted book?

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Sioux said:
Is the concern here that you can't get read them on your Kindle? It's true you can't just copy Mobi files with DRM straight over to a Kindle but there is a way to solve this. I am not trying to insult you if you already know this but I had the same issue and discovered that the Mobipocket reader will transfer files to my K1 if it's plugged into the computer via USB cable. It's an option in the reader at the top of the screen. It will show supported devices, including your Kindle if it's plugged in. If you choose that option, it will put them in a folder on your Kindle called eBooks, which won't show up on your home screen on the Kindle but if you then use your computer to move them from the eBooks folder to the documents folder, you will then be able to read them on your Kindle.
As far as I know, this actually will only work if you register your Kindle with Mobipocket Reader with a PID, which the Kindle doesn't have and Mobipocket doesn't support. Wish it did.

Betsy

·
Registered
131 Posts
Betsy is correct.  When I tried to open the migrated books I got an error message about having not purchased them at the Kindle Store.  Bummer. :'(

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I heard a while ago that Amazon bought ereader and I wish they would come up with a way I could put my books I had bought from there on my Kindle.  I can put them on my iTouch so I have done that for reading emergencies but I would love love to have them on my Kindle.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It really bugs that Amazon owns MobiPocket and still won't yet you read DRMed books purchased there on the Kindle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree, why can't the kindle have a PID as well.  Seems that would solve more than one problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts