Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm from NYC and just got a used K1 on Saturday (great deal - $125).

I said in another post, Kindle is a breakthrough device that changes the way one reads, like Tivo to TV and iPod to music listening. Glad i found this board for sharing info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Welcome Skanter, and congratulations on getting a great deal on your original Kindle!

I'd have been perfectly happy never upgrading, but I did.  I do miss the little silver slider on the side of my original - that thing was fun to watch :)

I look forward to hearing more from you.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, Skanter!  Be sure and check out the Book Corner for info on cheap or even free reads and the accessories area if you are interested in skins, covers and etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes!

I know I got a great deal, although I just spent $35 more on the M-Edge Executive leather cover. Its a beautiful and luxurious cover (see review in review section).

I am loving the Kindle the more I use it. I just cancelled my DT version of The NY Times and subscribe to the Kindle version  - saving me $28/mo! I like the Kindle version better (supplemented by web version when home).

I have never had so much reading material at my disposal - the used Kindle came with about 10 good books on it, and I've added a number of free classic public domain books. It's great to have a choice of reading material when on the bus going to my studio - a new experience.

As I said, Kindle is a new paradigm like Tivo, iPod etc. I'll never buy a DTB again! And this terrific forum makes it even better... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,097 Posts
Welcome Skanter, great deal on your Kindle 1.  I love my Kindle 1 and I believe you will love yours as well.  The book selections are huge and there are lots of free sites to use.  Join us for the book klubs, we just started Distant Cousin this past Monday and the book is a very good read.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
B-Kay said:
Welcome Skanter, great deal on your Kindle 1. I love my Kindle 1 and I believe you will love yours as well. The book selections are huge and there are lots of free sites to use. Join us for the book klubs, we just started Distant Cousin this past Monday and the book is a very good read.
Thanks, B-Kay. I already love my Kindle as it has re-kindled my love of reading. I'm also glad to be part of this friendly online community. How do the book clubs (klubs?) work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
skanter said:
Thanks, B-Kay. I already love my Kindle as it has re-kindled my love of reading. I'm also glad to be part of this friendly online community. How do the book clubs (klubs?) work?
Not certain about the others but they're probably like the Distant Cousin Klub--couldn't be simpler. Try the free sample. If that seems promising, download the book (which is a bargain book). Read! Check the Klub board, mull over, and contribute if you like, as much as you like. All welcome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Welcome.
Have people looked over your shoulder on the subway yet?  Slightly annoying.  I guess they are curious.
Hope you enjoy your Kindle and your stay here. 
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
busy91 said:
Welcome.
Have people looked over your shoulder on the subway yet? Slightly annoying. I guess they are curious.
Hope you enjoy your Kindle and your stay here.
I haven't taken a subway with K1 yet, but I read it on the bus. No one has commented - jaded New Yorkers! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
skanter said:
I haven't taken a subway with K1 yet, but I read it on the bus. No one has commented - jaded New Yorkers! :mad:
It's interesting that I wrote this yesterday, because tonight, on my half-hour commute form the East to Westside of NYC, I sat down to a young fellow and took out my Kindle.

"Is that a Kindle 1 or 2"?, he asked. For the next 20 minutes I found myself talking feverishly about how great the Kindle was, getting no reading done whatsoever. He was, however, fascinated as I explained the various advantages and wonders of the Kindle, and i may have kindled a UMF to buy one.

Before he got off, he said "You should sell those things!" :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
skanter said:
It's interesting that I wrote this yesterday, because tonight, on my half-hour commute form the East to Westside of NYC, I sat down to a young fellow and took out my Kindle.
I've only had it out once on the subway since I got it. I'm still reading a paperback from the library which I need to finish. But the one time I did have it out, the two people who were next to me looked, but I don't think they knew what it was.

I did see a K2 in the pocket of a guy on the train yesterday. I would have commented, but I was getting off. I don't see much of them, that is my 3rd sighting, and I saw one Sony reader once, but that's it.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top