Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
meh. I've used the 'home screen' setting for ages. When I want to see my library I just tap on 'your library'. Not really a big deal as far as I'm concerned. And it looks like it will still be just one touch to get there.

Plus, if I'm reading a book, it opens to that book anyway, so I don't even see the home screen until I'm done one book and looking for another.

but I agree that it is nice to have options.

·
5,978 Posts
Well that's a bit of a bugger to say the least. (Yay! KB doesn't recognise British profanities).

I too still use the old list version of the home screen and I really don't see why I should be forced to change it. Why take away a feature that they know people use? I can only assume they want to force everyone to see their recommendations so as to entice you to buy more books.

According to the article you won't be able to set the list view as the default anymore like you can now, but I hope they will retain the option to get to your list by going to Menu/Your Library. Otherwise, how on earth do you find your books? I know you can search, but what about if you don't know the title of the book you want? For example, I have a collection for KU books I've borrowed but not yet read - and I can't remember all the titles. (I have enough trouble remembering the titles of books I have read). If I can't get to my list of collections, how will I find them?

So fingers crossed that they haven't done away with the list view completely, but just removed the option to have it as a default - which in my view is bad enough. 🤞

·
5,978 Posts
meh. I've used the 'home screen' setting for ages. When I want to see my library I just tap on 'your library'. Not really a big deal as far as I'm concerned. And it looks like it will still be just one touch to get there.
I think it's two touches. ;)

But why force people to have to do even that. I can't think of a single reason they would take the option away that benefits the users. So it must be because it suits Amazon better and they don't care if it doesn't suit us as well. Or maybe it's just change for change sake - it won't be the first time for that to happen either.

EDIT: I just took a look at the updates page and the Voyage doesn't have the update to 5.13.7 like the other later models. So that's good news for me as I read almost exclusively on my Voyage, but worrying also that this means the Voyage will now no longer get other updates that I might actually want.

* Sigh *

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
re: one vs 2 touches. My voyage and PW don't have ads, so when I open the page I am at the home screen (or on the last book I read.) If I'm in the last book, it's one touch to home and one more to the library list. If it opens at the home screen it's one touch to the list. So .... we're both right. :) Based solely on the images in the article linked above, it looks like "your library" will still be accessible, even if you can't default to only show that. As you say, if you can't get to something like a list of books, that's a Very Bad Thing.

I didn't look to see what devices this will apply to. On the one hand, if it never comes to the Voyage, that's o.k. I use the home screen but my husband does NOT and he's not good with change on things like this. Plus, he actually uses the thing so infrequently I have to re-teach him how it works every time. It's easier for me! to have it NOT showing the "home screen" on his device.

On the other hand, as you say .... I wonder if this means Voyage is officially no longer supported. :(

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My main complaint is that I don't need Amazon to recommend books to me on the Home Page of my Kindle. Come on, I have over 6,500 titles in my library now. They are getting money for books out of me :)
And I paid to get the ads off my device. Why would I want a Home Screen that is basically an ad? I could have done that for free.

Ann, on the regular Home Screen, do you get the dots for length or the READ indicator?

Totally unrelated: I am really surprised how much I like the book cover as screensaver.

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
I hear ya about the 'recommendations' .....

The Home screen looks pretty much the way it shows in the article you linked to. So .... no, no indication of length. But if I tap the words 'your library' and I have it set to show as a list then, yes, it does have the dots. I prefer to see the book covers but it's true there's no indication of length that way. If you're showing covers -- and even on the home screen -- it shows the percentage of the book you've read, or may have a 'new' corner ribbon or a 'read' corner ribbon.

And yes .... I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE having the book cover as the sleep picture. :D

·
5,978 Posts
re: one vs 2 touches. My voyage and PW don't have ads, so when I open the page I am at the home screen (or on the last book I read.) If I'm in the last book, it's one touch to home and one more to the library list. If it opens at the home screen it's one touch to the list. So .... we're both right. :)
Ah, you are in fact correct! I thought from the home screen to get to 'your library' I had to go to the menu first and then choose it. I just tried setting my Kindle to the book cover home screen and I see that there's a link at the top left to go there directly. Better, but nevertheless still unnecessary in my view.
And I paid to get the ads off my device. Why would I want a Home Screen that is basically an ad? I could have done that for free.
Exactly! I wonder if we can reclaim the extra we paid to not have ads!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Am I missing something? The new home screen shown on the Goodreader site doesn't look radically different than what I've had on my Paperwhite 4 for ages now. (And no, I don't have the latest update yet.)

·
5,978 Posts
Am I missing something? The new home screen shown on the Goodreader site doesn't look radically different than what I've had on my Paperwhite 4 for ages now. (And no, I don't have the latest update yet.)
It's not so much that it's different, it's that previously you could choose between having the home screen with the cover thumbnails and the recommendations etc, or defaulting to the old style list only. A lot of people (like me!) chose to stick with the list home screen.

It seems that in the new version, you won't have that option of having the list version as the default - you'll get the thumbnails automatically and have to follow the 'your library' link to get to your list of collections/books.

Since the lists will still be available it seems odd to take away the option to default to that view. We can only assume that Amazon perceives some advantage in forcing you to look at their recommendations. Full disclosure: I still won't be looking at them. 🙈

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
I would add to what Linda said: I don't know of anyone who's gotten it yet, so the discussion is based purely on what was said in the article. It seems such a silly thing to change, that, for me, I'll just wait until I have it and see what really happens. Not saying the article is wrong, just wondering if it's mistaken.

PS: just checked my PW and my Oasis: Neither have updated and they're just about always connected.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I don't have this update yet, and I'm not rushing to get it, as I also prefer the list view. But I did just view a YouTube video that shows the new features. According to the man who did the video, once you set it to library view, it will stay there if you exit your book. But I'm not sure if you have to reset it each session. The reading controls are also all moved around (not for the first time) so that will take some getting used to.

Here's a link if you'd like to view it. It's a bit under 12 minutes total.

If you'd rather avoid using the link, the YouTube video title is:

Massive Kindle Updates! Version 5.13.7 Recap

or just search on Kindle 5.13.7

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Well, that was a surprise for me - the way the link posted. I thought it would just be a blue hyperlink, but it's showing the actual video screen. Reminder to myself to always preview my messages, which I didn't do with that one.

·
5,978 Posts
That's a pretty informative video. Clearly there is a lot more to this update than mentioned in the Good E Reader article.

Some of the changes look interesting, others not so much. I don't think we'll be able to really judge it until we've had hands on experience of it and had a chance to play around with the settings to see just how it actually works.

I usually download updates manually as they often take such a long time to filter through to the UK, but on this occasion I think I'll wait. As I read on my Voyage more than any other of my Kindles, it may ultimately not really impact me - at least until my Voyage has to be retired!

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
Very informative, indeed. I'm still not clear whether, once you tap Library that's all you'll see (vs the "Home page") even if it goes to sleep in between. But, even if it wakes up to "home" every time, it's not the end of the world, as he notes -- you can get to your library with just one tap.

I was a bit amused by how he talked about the browser. It doesn't really sound like it's changed much, they just aren't calling it "experimental" any more. But if they have made it so it is supposed to work faster, that may be why the update won't e on the Voyage -- the processor may not be able to handle whatever it's doing.

I'll wait for it .... still not seeing it on either my PW or Oasis ......

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
My PW updated this evening. I can confirm that the home page doesn't look much different to before. At the bottom are "Home" and "Library". When you tap Library, you get your usual list (or set of book covers, depending on the setting). Most importantly: if you set it to Library and then put it to sleep, it is STILL ON Library when you wake it next time. I have not tested 'deep sleep' yet, but I don't see why that would be different.

Bottom Line: you can still have your default setting be to show your library vs the 'Home' screen; it's just a different -- and, in my opinion, easier -- way to set it.

Reactions: Elk

·
Super Moderator
67,453 Posts
I don't think so .... and I can further confirm, after putting the kindle down for the night, I woke it from 'deep sleep' this morning, and it is still on 'library' vs 'home. One difference, perhaps: if you use 'list', you may not have quite as many titles showing .... I'm seeing 5. In 'grid view', 6 books show. In list view it does still have the row of dots that roughly give an idea of how long the book is, as well as how far you've read.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts