Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening..found this board while surfing the net.

I'm a new Kindle user from Holland, Europe.

Not quite yet though as I don't have my Kindle yet. Ordered it today and hopefully receiving it tomorrow. Ordered the Kindle 3. Kind of wanted the DX, but that was just a tad over my budget, plus I figured I better start with the cheapest to see how I like it and if I like it I can always move to the DX someday.

I also own the Sony PRS 650 (red) . But Kindle has been bugging (read tempting) me for a long time and decided to make the jump.

Can't wait to see how it will look and function compared to my Sony reader.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Greetings and Welcome, dax123!! We are so glad you found KindleBoards! We have many areas that you probably will like. Have you been to The Book Corner yet? That's the area for discussions about books (naturally :D ). That's also where you will find threads about books Recommended by our Members and a list of additional sites for Book Lovers.
Then there is the Book Bazaar where our member/authors post about their books and the Writers' Cafe that has discussions about writing, publishing and many other topics. Here is a link to all the KindleBoards authors:Unofficial master list of Kindleboards Authors. That is also where you will locate Bargain Books and even Free Books threads where you can get reading material at low or no cost! Here is a link to get you started: Master list of free & under $1 titles available from Amazon.
If you have a question about your Kindle or it's usage, check out the FAQ or the forum about Tips, Tricks and Trouble Shooting . Or, just ask your question. We have many helpful and knowledgeable people here at KB and we feel there is no such thing as a "dumb" question. Questions about KindleBoards may be answered at Your guide to Forum Speak! linked from Forum tips. If not, once again, ask away! To keep everything running smoothly, we ask that everyone read Forum decorum.
Another popular place is Let's Talk Kindle, where all things in the Kindle world are posted about. Be sure and check out the Photo Gallery, where pictures of members, pets, flowers, landscapes or just almost anything interesting can be found.
Have you been to the Accessories area? There you will see information about covers, skins, lights, bags, stands and many other items to allow you to personalize your Kindle.
Looking to just kill some time while you are waiting for your Kindle or if you have your kindle, want to try something different? Try INFINITY Game - Word Association or The "INFINITY" Thread: KEEP POSTING...Ready, Set,... GO!!! in the Not Quite Kindle area.
Sorry for the long post, but there is just so much to do, learn and like about KindleBoards that I just get carried away. :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome..wow that certainly is a long post, but will make sure to check all the links you posted. This looks like a great forum!  :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi and welcome from the U.S.! Do you find that you prefer an ebook over a paper book, or evenly split?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wecome, dax123!
You're going to love your Kindle3. The DX is tempting, but it takes two hands to drive it and the extra size manages to make it a little fragile.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome to KB!

Happy Reading! :)

[no self promotion outside the Book Bazaar, especially in other folks' introductions. ;) Thanks. --Betsy]

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Welcome to the KB and congratulations on your K3...I think you will be pleased with your decision.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the warm welcome. Well I received my Kindle this afternoon and straight away I was amazed at how thin it looked and felt and how light. Especially compaired to my Sony PRS 650.

I'm already in love with it.

I'm looking forward to using the Kindle and will be curious to see how I will use both my e-readers. If I end up using both equal for different purposes or if I might end up reading more on the kindle. I like how easy it is to get books on it without having to use any programs.

I'm actually trying to get back into reading..when I was a kid and in my early teens I would devour books. Really once the light turned off in my bedroom, I would sneak under the covers with a flashlight and continue reading until sometimes well passed midnight causing me to be very sleepy the next day at school. :p
I would go to the library almost every day to get new books to read. Sad to say once Internet entered my life that kind of stopped. LOL I became an internet junkie and then later a facebook junkie (Not even for being social there but mostly the games).

But since I got my first e-reader (a sony prs 600) I tried getting back to reading, but found that I have a short attention span now that I'm older, sometimes I can't read more then a few pages until I need to stop and it needs to be quiet around me or I get distracted.

But this time I really have a desire to get back into reading again. I remember how much I loved it back in the day and I want to feel like that again. I want to get away from the computer a bit (although that is still hard at times) and get back into that fantasy world of books.

Do I prefer e-books over real books..I think I do, it took some getting used to at first, but now I love it. Also something I love about the kindle, that it shows how far you are in the book and how much you have left. LOL That's what I missed at first when I started reading on the e-reader. With a paper book I have a habit to look how far I am, especially if it's a very big book.
I still have plenty of paper books in my bookcase that I still need to read. I could get them as e-books but figure I bought them so I better read them already.

Anyway sorry for the long story. Thanks again for the welcome. :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Welcome! I was reticent to go to the Kindle myself, and then my son gifted me with one two years ago. I love the feel of a book in my hand, but it's the "read" I need, and I can afford 10 times as many ebooks to indulge my voracious appetite. So I am definitely hooked!
Bailey

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome to Kindle Boards! I LOVE my Kindle! Have from the first day I got it - more than 2 years ago. Now that hundreds of books are available at a reasonable price, there's no stopping me from downloading!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts