Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone--
I am brand new to the world of Kindle (have had mine for almost a week!!)  I gave it to myself for an early birthday gift and I can honestly say already that it is the best birthday gift ever!
And the second best part--accessorizing!!! I love it!  Okay, so far I have one m-edge cover in purple, 2 Oberon covers on the way (saddle Tree of Life, red River Garden), 4 skins from 3acp on the way and a Borsa Bella travel bag also on the way.  All of the accessories (except for the m-edge cover) I have discovered through reading on this board--thanks guys (now I understand what you mean by "enablers"  ;)).
So here are my questions:
1) any idea how long it typically takes to get the Oberon covers? I am just dying to get them! I ordered them on April 30th.
2) are there any problems with removing and replacing the skins?  any tips to do it without ruining the surface of my Kindle?
3) what light do you use with the Oberon covers?  I am currently using a Mighty Brite with the m-edge and it works pretty well but I am looking forward to getting the light that is made for the m-edge covers once in comes out at the end of May.
I think that is it for now!  I will post pics when I can!
Thanks!
Nancy

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome to the Boards, Nancy.  You certainly have been reading.  You already have quite a stash there. 
Oberon delivers pretty quickly depending on which coast you're on.  I would say you should have it in a week.
Some folks are able to take their skins off carefully and reshape them using a blow dryer.  Others have not been successful.  Sounds like some folks just might have more patience. 
The consensus has been that the Mighty Bright is the best light, period.
I too am anxious for the new M-edge light. 
Again, glad to have you here.
deb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deb for the response!!
I am not concerned about re-using the skins, but I was wondering if the skins damage the surface of the Kindle in any way.  In other words, once you commit to using a skin do you forever have to because the Kindle surface is left pretty yucky?  Do the skins just peel off (if you don't want to re-use them and don't mind damaging them to get them off)?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Welcome!

The DecalGirl skins remove with virtually no residue left behind, so no cleanup needed.  Unfortunately, a number of members have had significant problems with the 3acp skins leaving the Kindle surface quite sticky, and unless things have changed since I last read about them, attempts to contact the company to talk with them about it received no response.

It won't **damage** the Kindle, but it may take a lot of work and possibly some chemicals to remove the residue completely.  As neat as some of the 3acp designs are, a number of us decided to avoid them due to this issue.  Others have said either they're never planning to remove theirs, or figure they'll just put another decal on after removal.

Fingers crossed for fast shipping on all your new goodies, and do be sure to post pictures of your newly dressed Kindle! :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. It takes about a week for the Oberon covers in my experience. I ordered one on 4/30 and it is due this Thursday. It was shipped 2 days ago. I did UPS ground and I live in Florida. The DecalGirl skins leave no residue on the Kindle that I know of. My daughter removed hers and it had no problems. She isn't patient, so she threw it away. Glad you are enjoying the board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh darn, that was what I was concerned about, the 3acp leaving sticky residue.  Even though I probably will always put on a skin once I start, I hate being "locked into" that!  I am going to take another look at the decalgirls choices--I just did not find anything nearly as nice as the 3acp's, where there was such a huge selection!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nancy welcome to KB's!

You can always have a skin custom made.  I know DecalGirl can alter one of their offered skins or completely create your own.  So don't feel like you have to settle for what's offered!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Sariy said:
You can always have a skin custom made. I know DecalGirl can alter one of their offered skins or completely create your own. So don't feel like you have to settle for what's offered!
I just recently found out about that! So COOL!! 8) 8)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
The people who used the 3acp skins were able to get all the residue off when they removed the skin. It took a little time with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol to get all of it from around the keypad but it was not to bad.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I managed to remove my 3acp skin without leaving hardly any residue: you just have to go slow, and not worry about being able to re-use your skin (you won't), and then it is actually really ok. I had a couple of places with some very minimal residue: I just re-applied the sticky part of the skin to those residues, and they came off immediately - not sure if that makes sense??????

Anyway, if you really prefer the 3acp designs, you should go for it, knowing that taking the skin off won't be a problem, as long as you go slowly. The couple of places with residue on my K2 were where I started getting impatient and tried to go fast in ripping the skin off...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts