Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Just got my Kindle today. I have a little different reason for needing a one. I have a severe muscular/skeletal problem and I can't hold a decent sized hard cover book to read for more than a few minutes without it becoming painful. I have limited myself to paperbacks for a long time. Hopefully the Kindle is light enough that I can hold it as I would a paperback, and thus be able to read anything.  -  Steve

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
It should work for you, Steve.  If necessary, don't use the cover at all: that makes it even lighter.

Good luck,

Ann

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Steve! I hope this will make your reading much more enjoyable. I have a movement disorder, dystonia which affects my muscles also. I have two forms one is dysphonia where my vocal cords are in constant spasm.
Could never be a disc jockey or singer.  ;) The second form is cervical dystonia which affects my neck & shoulders.

Linda

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Steve!

Many people with arthritis and other musculo-skeletal problems have described the Kindle as a lifesaver. Folks who haven't been able to read for years because they couldn't hold a book have started reading again. Likewise, folks with vision problems have said the Kindle is great. I hope it works for you...I suspect it will. Keep posting and let us know how it goes.

Glad to have you here.

Leslie

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi, Steven!  I prop my kindle against things alot so that I don't even have to hold it - at an angle it is still really easy to read.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am new here too and the reason I bought one for my husband is due to health problems as well. He loves to read and due to his neuropathy having become so advanced he just could not read much at all any more. He is so excited about the Kindle coming, he cannot wait to read like he used to. I wonder if Amazon realizes how this has helped people with disabilities, for my husband it is heaven sent.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Kindle Kid said:
Hello, I am new here too and the reason I bought one for my husband is due to health problems as well. He loves to read and due to his neuropathy having become so advanced he just could not read much at all any more. He is so excited about the Kindle coming, he cannot wait to read like he used to. I wonder if Amazon realizes how this has helped people with disabilities, for my husband it is heaven sent.
Hi KK...don't know if I welcomed you already so I'll do it here...welcome to the board. What is the ETA for your husband's Kindle?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Kindle Kid said:
One more item to add to the Pros list for buying a Kindle!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
Welcome Steve! I hope this will make your reading much more enjoyable. I have a movement disorder, dystonia which affects my muscles also. I have two forms one is dysphonia where my vocal cords are in constant spasm.
Could never be a disc jockey or singer. ;) The second form is cervical dystonia which affects my neck & shoulders.

Linda
Linda--

One of our local radio personalities, Diane Rehm, has dysphonia. She takes regular breaks for treatment. Here's info about her http://wamu.org/programs/dr/diane_rehm/ As for the cervical dystonia, does the Kindle help?

Betsy

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
stevene9 said:
Hi Folks,

Just got my Kindle today. I have a little different reason for needing a one. I have a severe muscular/skeletal problem and I can't hold a decent sized hard cover book to read for more than a few minutes without it becoming painful. I have limited myself to paperbacks for a long time. Hopefully the Kindle is light enough that I can hold it as I would a paperback, and thus be able to read anything. - Steve
Steve, welcome! and Congrats on the new Kindle!

This is the place to be if you have a Kindle. Be sure to check out the Book Corner for book suggestions, the tips and tricks for good info about the Kindle and the FAQ section. (Also, our very own Leslie has an excellent Kindle book about the Kindle!)

Keep us posted on how the Kindle works for you.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am happy to report that it has solved my problem. For the first time in years I am able to read hard cover books. I stayed up so late last night reading I almost couldn't get up this morning.

Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
vg said:
Hi, Steven! I prop my kindle against things alot so that I don't even have to hold it - at an angle it is still really easy to read.
I do this too - prop and read. Good Luck Steven and welcome to the boards.

Susan

·
Registered
835 Posts
stevene9 said:
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I am happy to report that it has solved my problem. For the first time in years I am able to read hard cover books. I stayed up so late last night reading I almost couldn't get up this morning.

Steve
I'm so glad that it has solved your problem. But now you have a new problem! You may be like me and end up putting just about a book a day on your Kindle and wonder when on earth you'll get to read them all! My downfall is to go to a particular genre and click on 4 stars and higher and then click priced low to high (I call that the Bargain Bin) and I am always finding something. And this forum is lethal for getting you over to the Amazon site and doing the One Click!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hi Bets,
I have read Diane's book and many articles about her. I started a Dystonia Support Group here in 2005. I receive Botox injections in my neck & shoulders every 3 months which paralyzes the muscles and keeps them from spasming. It is a very painful condition. My Kindle helps the CD very much, I couldn't read for long periods of time due to the weight of a book & repetitive movement of turning pages. By the way I have the neck of a 30 year old. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts