Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that ebay has several new factory sealed kindles for sale for immediate delivery. The current bids for auctions closing within the next hour or two is $385. Don't know anything else about the auctions, so be careful.

Steve

·
Registered
102 Posts
gertiekindle said:
There are 43 "used-like new" on Amazon Marketplace from $489.00 to $1,500.00. And they have the nerve to charge $5.99 shipping.
To sell a Kindle on Amazon marketplace - they will take a 15% cut and the shipping charge is not optional - it is automatically added when you list the item. I'm not advocating for the high start price ((especially those really ridiculous ones) but I did find out when trying to list a Kindle that there is a special rate (the 15%) that is higher than for most products.

Susan

·
Registered
469 Posts
Same for selling on eBay. Ebay charges a fee to list the item then a large fee based on the final selling price. Then PayPal takes a percentage out based on the final price. If the seller is listing the item close to the $400 range (and they bought it from Amazon at $359.00) they are losing money because of all the fees.

I don't agree with listing it at really high price but if the seller lists the item in the $380-$390 range and people choose to keep bidding against each other to bring the price up then the seller isn't trying to doing anything wrong. It's the impatient people that choose to outbid each other and bring the price up.

On the other hand if a seller chooses to list it at a really high price I hope it doesn't sell but if it does it is still the buyer decision to place the bid. No one is forcing them.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Susan M said:
To sell a Kindle on Amazon marketplace - they will take a 15% cut and the shipping charge is not optional - it is automatically added when you list the item. I'm not advocating for the high start price ((especially those really ridiculous ones) but I did find out when trying to list a Kindle that there is a special rate (the 15%) that is higher than for most products.

Susan
That's interesting. Thanks for that info. I know Amazon does set shipping prices depending on the item; so much for a paperback, so much for a hardback. I also notice that on some items, the seller probably sets the shipping price since it varies for the same product.

·
Registered
469 Posts
gertiekindle said:
That's interesting. Thanks for that info. I know Amazon does set shipping prices depending on the item; so much for a paperback, so much for a hardback. I also notice that on some items, the seller probably sets the shipping price since it varies for the same product.
Yes, Amazon sets the shipping price on most items but they also take almost half the shipping cost as their own profit. Because of this the seller doesn't earn enough of the shipping cost to cover the actual shipping costs. It's been a while since I listed a book on Amazon but the set fee for shipping was $3.59. Amazon kept about $1.25 of that. The post office Media Mail shipping cost was around $2.15. I also needed to provide the approved packaging and add on the cost of delivery confirmation.

I have sold on both Amazon and eBay. I always choose the buy delivery confirmation when mailing a package to the buyer because I get a small number of people that try to claim they didn't receive the item and want their money back. I have needed the delivery confirmation to prove that I did ship the item and they did receive it.

If the book weighs more than one pound, Amazon still sets the shipping cost at (currently) $3.99 and still takes the full cut and the seller looses even more money needing by paying a higher shipping cost.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I have sold a lot on eBay and they do not take a cut on the shipping and it is not automatically added. You can ship for free if you want.
However, Paypal does take a cut on the total amount paid, I think 5% so most sellers do pad a little on their shipping, shipping also needs to cover the
packaging. Which is why priority mail is so popular, the post office gives those shipping materials away for free. Though they are only suppose to be used for
Priority shipping, so when I seller uses them but covers the box to hide the Priority labels, they are in effect stealing...

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
love2read said:
Yes, Amazon sets the shipping price on most items but they also take almost half the shipping cost as their own profit. Because of this the seller doesn't earn enough of the shipping cost to cover the actual shipping costs. It's been a while since I listed a book on Amazon but the set fee for shipping was $3.59. Amazon kept about $1.25 of that. The post office Media Mail shipping cost was around $2.15. I also needed to provide the approved packaging and add on the cost of delivery confirmation.

I have sold on both Amazon and eBay. I always choose the buy delivery confirmation when mailing a package to the buyer because I get a small number of people that try to claim they didn't receive the item and want their money back. I have needed the delivery confirmation to prove that I did ship the item and they did receive it.

If the book weighs more than one pound, Amazon still sets the shipping cost at (currently) $3.99 and still takes the full cut and the seller looses even more money needing by paying a higher shipping cost.
So why are people selling books for a penny if they are actually going to lose money on the sale? I was going to try to sell a few things. I'm not looking for any great profit, but from what you're saying, it doesn't seem worth the bother.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
gertiekindle said:
So why are people selling books for a penny if they are actually going to lose money on the sale? I was going to try to sell a few things. I'm not looking for any great profit, but from what you're saying, it doesn't seem worth the bother.
If you are just wanting to clean out your closets. Selling your stuff on ebay can be a lot more profitable than having a yard sale. I once sold a Halloween mask for $56 and got $389 for a 1920's toaster that I had almost tossed in the trash. I couldn't imagine trying to do a business on it, though.

If you are wanting to sell books, take a look at www.half.com. It is owned by ebay but structured a little differently. No auctions, you set the price, and there's a set shipping amount. I've had good luck with it when selling books and videos and cd.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
sebat said:
$389 for a 1920's toaster that I had almost tossed in the trash.
That must have been some toaster! My brother won a Toastilator (sp?) on eBay not too long ago...I think circa 1951. It was kind of cool and he actually made a piece of toast for my daughter because she wanted to see it work :p

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
chynared21 said:
That must have been some toaster! My brother won a Toastilator (sp?) on eBay not too long ago...I think circa 1951. It was kind of cool and he actually made a piece of toast for my daughter because she wanted to see it work :p
I think they call it "the Stag" it was art deco with a stag on the front and was in working condition. Even had the original cord but the plug had been replaced.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
sebat said:
If you are just wanting to clean out your closets. Selling your stuff on ebay can be a lot more profitable than having a yard sale. I once sold a Halloween mask for $56 and got $389 for a 1920's toaster that I had almost tossed in the trash. I couldn't imagine trying to do a business on it, though.

If you are wanting to sell books, take a look at www.half.com. It is owned by ebay but structured a little differently. No auctions, you set the price, and there's a set shipping amount. I've had good luck with it when selling books and videos and cd.
Thanks for the update. I mostly just give my books and videos to Goodwill, but I have a couple of items I would like to get a few dollars for. They are higher ticket items, so if they sell, I should get a decent enough return.

Half.com sounds like a good option for some of the complete series I have that I may eventually want to sell. For some reason, books and videos don't do well in garage sales in my area and we have no used book stores.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Half.com sounds like a good option for some of the complete series I have that I may eventually want to sell. For some reason, books and videos don't do well in garage sales in my area and we have no used book stores.
The same where I'm from. I guess yardsalers don't read. I haven't been to many garage sales but the books were usually my first stop.

We had 2 used book stores, one went out of business and the other one only wants only recent bestsellers. The best used bookstore I ever went to was in Missoula, MT. Last time we went out, we took a couple of boxes of books with us to trade.

·
Registered
679 Posts
We don't have any used books stores arounf eother - so I usually just donate my books. I will look at half though - I have some non-favorites i want to get rid of for space rasons.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
TM said:
We don't have any used books stores arounf eother - so I usually just donate my books. I will look at half though - I have some non-favorites i want to get rid of for space rasons.

Thanks
It has been a few years since I used it. I hope it's still as heavily used as it was when I used it in the past. I would hate to recommend a dud. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts