Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's new for me. I thought I'd ask you guys what else should be here before I post it for fans to see. It's a chapter from one of my books, read by me. The video is supposed to be something fun to watch while listening to the reading. I thought about cutting it shorter. And the cover image should be on the first pane. Other than that, what stuff should be on here that is missing? Information screens are the 1st and last two. You don't have to listen to the recording. Anyway, I have my name, book title, that its narrated by me (which I think the fans will like), my website and where the book is sold. Anything else? Forgetting the cover image was a face palm, but that's fixable.

http://youtu.be/SNNYSoIFhog

If you're wondering what the point of this is, I'm trying to find other ways to engage my fans and pull in new readers. I don't do much with YouTube and thought I should take a stab at it. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
You know what Holly, I think this is a great idea before I even click the link.

Now, I'm gonna go click the link.

{POST CLICK}

As a thought, make sure to tag the video at the end with actual links. (I have no idea how this is done, I just know it's possible.)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I agree, very smart.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Holly,

I think its a great idea. I've been playing with book trailers for a few months myself, and have had mixed results.

If I may, and this is intended as constructive, I would use ACX, audition professional actors and use their reading for the sound track (you'll own the rights). And best of all - its free.

You're probably thinking about audio books anyway (if you've not went there already), and I would use your trailer as a tool just like Amazon's look inside on the books.

For someone as successful as you are, your reading voice is not on par with your level of achievement as an author. It's not bad, but a pro can really make it zing. You'll be amazed at how wonderful a professional actor can make your work sound.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Joe_Nobody said:
For someone as successful as you are, your reading voice is not on par with your level of achievement as an author. It's not bad, but a pro can really make it zing. You'll be amazed at how wonderful a professional actor can make your work sound.
If I've been reading correctly, part of what makes her a success is her *personal* engagement with readers. That would defeat the purpose.

You're otherwise not wrong, and she should, if she has not started, be looking into ACX for audio versions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmm I was thinking of doing something like this for a couple snippets from my book. I think the problem is people on youtube have remarkably short attention spans and you'll only find a handful of people willing to listen to it the whole way. So something short and punchy that gives a good feel of the story is likely going to be the best bet.

I was planning on giving it a go this week but I seem to have contracted the plague and lost my voice...

The one thing I would say you definitely need to do is stick a link to the book on Amazon in the description. Given this fundementally short attention span I think the difference between one click and having to manually find it will make all the difference.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What a rad idea! I've thought about doing some things like this to build buzz and maybe doing a live reading the night before release or something like that. I love the idea of doing some youtube videos. What did you use to do the moving background and such? I have zero technical skill to be able to do that. Was it hard?

LOVE that you punctuated some lines by typing the text out. In my opinion, it might be a little bit too long at almost 8 minutes. I could totally be wrong though. YOu could try several at different lengths and see which ones get the most feedback. I'd also leave the last pane up longer with the website and such on there. It went by too fast, I think.

Those are my only suggestions!

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
I just listened, and I like it. I think other women will, too. I think the personal touch means more to readers than added professionalism would.

The growing vine reminds me of Amanda Hocking's stuff. I plan on posting more to my Youtube channel. Right now it's just one TV interview and my Indie Author Hangout Network shows.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Several ideas plop to mind:
  • make the video bigger, it is very small
  • the title and author name should be visible during the whole video
  • the images are pretty, i like that you added some words once in a while, but this is disturbing to me when i listen
  • I'd put some captions on it so that people can read the text - you know, accessibility for people with disabilities (use CaptionTube, it's easy)
  • needs background music

Otherwise, very nice idea!
I would also have loved to *see* you read. :)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
This would work for me as well, but I'd suggest having a good quality webcam if you decide to go this route at any point. You should be able to pick some decent highdef cam up for well less than 100 bucks.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info. :) I appreciate all the feedback. I knew I forgot stuff. I've done book trailers b4, but nothing like this. The main places I'd share it are on my site and fb. I agree that it's long for YouTube. I was going to try it for different books with different lengths. Anyone know user demographics for YouTube off the top if their head? I guess I'm making the 1st ones for my current fan base and then trying to figure things out for u tube as I go along.

Sarra, I used a slide show program that I used to use at the photo studio to make the video. I have recording equipment also. I made the sound file, bought the background image, and then did the rest in Proshow Gold. That software is stupid proof and I'm a little stupid when it comes to video making. :)

I'm in transit right now and typing on my phone. Sorry if its choppy.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Several ideas plop to mind:
  • make the video bigger, it is very small
  • the title and author name should be visible during the whole video
  • the images are pretty, i like that you added some words once in a while, but this is disturbing to me when i listen
  • I'd put some captions on it so that people can read the text - you know, accessibility for people with disabilities (use CaptionTube, it's easy)
  • needs background music

Otherwise, very nice idea!
I think background music would distract from the reading.

The scrolling vines are nice, but a little hypnotic for me. I like that I can read a few words here and there. Woke me up from my viney trance. ;)

Great idea. I think there's a way to include an active link in a bar down at the bottom. I don't know what it is, I just know sometimes I'll open a video that will redirect me to a website.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
holly w. said:
Thanks for all the info. :) I appreciate all the feedback. I knew I forgot stuff. I've done book trailers b4, but nothing like this. The main places I'd share it are on my site and fb. I agree that it's long for YouTube. I was going to try it for different books with different lengths. Anyone know user demographics for YouTube off the top if their head? I guess I'm making the 1st ones for my current fan base and then trying to figure things out for u tube as I go along.

Sarra, I used a slide show program that I used to use at the photo studio to make the video. I have recording equipment also. I made the sound file, bought the background image, and then did the rest in Proshow Gold. That software is stupid proof and I'm a little stupid when it comes to video making. :)

I'm in transit right now and typing on my phone. Sorry if its choppy.
This seems like a very cool idea. I don't know the specifics, but I have heard that youtube videos are very search engine friendly and great for driving traffic.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts