Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a soon-to-be Kindle owner from Northern California. My husband and I live in a small village that's 30-minutes from any bookstore and 90-minutes from any of the large chains (we're not in a Whispernet area, but that's OK).

We've always read a lot, but since unplugging the TV three years ago, we now go through a half-dozen books most weeks. Even though many of these are now purchased secondhand, it won't take long for Kindle to save us money. But, most of all, we're looking forward to having what we want to read when we want to read it ... without expending the time and energy it now takes (and all of the waiting).

My biggest fear is that one of our mischievous, object-stealing little terriers will give a new meaning to "dogeared". One of them once chewed up a good portion of a just-delivered Harry Potter book in the amount of time it took me to go and make a cup of tea. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have ordered the M-Edge leather cover too :)

Thanks to everyone on this forum who have posted all of the wonderful hints, tips, recommendations, etc. - it's been really helpful! Now I'm looking forward to my transformation into a Kindleholic!!

Glynnis (Mendocino County, CA)
P.S. The spellchecker suggested that the alternative to "Kindleholic" is "Gentlefolk" :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Welcome to our little group of Kindle fans. I am also fairly new to the group and there is lots of of valuable information here. Welcome to the Kindlehood.
Diane

·
Registered
455 Posts
Welcome to this wonderful community of Gentlefolk, Glynnis! LOL

I'm fairly new myself, and am loving the comaraderie and suggestions for books to read!

Looking forward to getting to know you! :)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Glynnis said:
I'm a soon-to-be Kindle owner from Northern California. My husband and I live in a small village that's 30-minutes from any bookstore and 90-minutes from any of the large chains (we're not in a Whispernet area, but that's OK).

We've always read a lot, but since unplugging the TV three years ago, we now go through a half-dozen books most weeks. Even though many of these are now purchased secondhand, it won't take long for Kindle to save us money. But, most of all, we're looking forward to having what we want to read when we want to read it ... without expending the time and energy it now takes (and all of the waiting).

My biggest fear is that one of our mischievous, object-stealing little terriers will give a new meaning to "dogeared". One of them once chewed up a good portion of a just-delivered Harry Potter book in the amount of time it took me to go and make a cup of tea. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have ordered the M-Edge leather cover too :)

Thanks to everyone on this forum who have posted all of the wonderful hints, tips, recommendations, etc. - it's been really helpful! Now I'm looking forward to my transformation into a Kindleholic!!

Glynnis (Mendocino County, CA)
P.S. The spellchecker suggested that the alternative to "Kindleholic" is "Gentlefolk" :)
Glynnis--

Welcome to the "Kindlehood"! And I love the idea that "Kindleholic" is close to "Gentlefolk."

Sounds like you'll fit in fine in Accessories. You might like to have some backup covers for your Kindle, LOL! Several of our members have more than one. There are many free and bargain books recommended in the Book Corner, and after the first of the year, we're going to have Book Klubs!

Betsy

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcomes! Lots of great topics and, of course, book suggestions - I'm beginning to see a new use for one of my SD cards. Like Betsy mentioned, shopping for books and accessories will help me pass the time. I just wish I hadn't downsized all of my bags/purses a few years ago ... I'll have to add something that's Kindle-compatible!

Glynnis 

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Glynnis said:
Thanks for the welcomes! Lots of great topics and, of course, book suggestions - I'm beginning to see a new use for one of my SD cards. Like Betsy mentioned, shopping for books and accessories will help me pass the time. I just wish I hadn't downsized all of my bags/purses a few years ago ... I'll have to add something that's Kindle-compatible!

Glynnis
We have lots and lots of suggestions in Accessories...

Betsy

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard, Glynnis...

Glad you found us. So glad you are reading all the great tips and helps we have here,
the whole Adminisration team deserves a big hand for all they do, the moderators as well.
I am watching less tv and reading lots more also.

Waving at you from Central California,

-sailor

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welcome, Glynnis -

Betsy will be so pleased that you've discovered the Accessories board ;)

Looking forward to seeing your posts in various boards,

Marci

·
Registered
223 Posts
I currently go to school at UC Davis, so that's NoCal, though I'm originally from Santa Barbara (aw how I miss it).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts