Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone~

I got my Kindle in June for my birthday and have hardly put it done. I'm a HS librarian and must read 15 dead-tree books each month for my review committee, but I always try to get through them as quickly as possible so I can return to reading on my kindle. I've "sold" a few to friends, but, as a librarian, many people don't get my infatuation and preference to reading on my kindle. I think they think I've sold out even though I'm reading even more than I used to (and that was considerable). I love my kindle and  I'm happy to have found the kindleboards group!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Hello LibraryGirl and welcome! My mom doesn't understand the Kindle obsession either! BUT, she does love it that all those brand new DTB's that I had sitting around waiting to be read are now hers! ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
LibraryGirl said:
... I've "sold" a few to friends, but, as a librarian, many people don't get my infatuation and preference to reading on my kindle. ...
Hi LibraryGirl, I am glad you found us. We KindleBoarders love our Kindles.

You should remind those "many people" that your Kindle IS a Library.

I am in awe of the fact that my Kindle allows me to carry so many books with me wherever I go. My Kindle is my personal Library and that is why I named her Libi.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yeah, they just need to understand the beauty and wonder that is reading on a Kindle! :D

Welcome LibraryGirl! Glad you found us! :D

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Speed reader, eh? ;)

Welcome aboard!

I have to admit....while I love reading on Jinx there is nothing like the feel of a book in your hands. I find reading on a Kindle easier and I also discovered that I can read faster than I would a DTB and my eyes don't tire as easily :)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Welcome Library Girl - we have another librarian here who has admitted to being a kindleholic!  Doncha just love it?

Nice to have you here.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, Library Girl -

How the world turns -- it was my experiences with my HS librarian that after many turns and years lead me to my current job as a librarian assistant.  I loved the fact that she was knowledgeable about books, and knew the ones I read and could in turn give me recommendations.  So, applause from me to you for being able to keep up with your work!

And, I just do not understand where this "traitor" label comes from  ??? :-\ ???  It's about reading, whether it is a Kindle or a book.  Neither one is going to supplant the other for many decades.

Now that I'm done spouting off  ;)  Welcome Aboard!

This is one place that does understand Kindle love,

Marci

·
Registered
552 Posts
How the heck do you enjoy reading 15 books a month under pressure like that? To me books are to be an escape not a down-to-the wire action ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Warmest welcome to you Library Girl,
You'll find folks here who support your Kindle addiction in every form from reading to accessesorizing, and we manage to find time to talk about just about everything else in our lives as well.  All kidding aside, this is a great place to spend some time.
debbie

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey LibraryGirl!

I provide technical support in a library, and that's the place where I've done the most showing off of my Kindle AND had the most "Wow" response (outside of the kindred spirits on this board). I still read DTB, but my Kindle is much easier on the eyes. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be quite honest, the 15 DTBs I must read and review each month are childrens' and young adult books...not quite as daunting as it sounded in my original post; however, it still takes me away from my kindle reading.  In response to a couple other people, I do love my job. It's a lot of fun working with the high school students, and I feel that I really have hooked/influenced many students over the 17 years I've been at it. 

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
On the wait list for a kindle. Been looking at message boards and forurms to get a feel for it before it arrives. Basically you could say im just trying to past time. Waiting is killing me ; ;

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Betsy, Had a spot of bad luck was on wait list awhile when they did a mass shipping for xmas and seeing as i didn't expect to recieve mine so soon my debit was on the low side so had to re order lucky for me the nice guy at Kindle support explained how i could Pre Pay for my Kindle so now it is safely paid for so when my turn comes nothing to stop me from getting :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Justina! Oh I well remember the wait, the most difficult part. Spend it here with us. Be sure and check out Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting for lots of good Kindle info. Keep us posted!

Linda

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Linda,
    Before deciding to buy the Kindle I checked the amazon message boards and follwed the tip to download the Kindle guide so till actually in hand to see what is what. About as informed as going get I think. Helps to have the item in hand to get how everything works at least how i've found it to be for me. And seeing as the main goal in owning a Kindle for me is the easy of having what I want to read right there no need to digg though stacks of books to find that one novel I just have to read again. Another selling point was that i tend to read book series and there been times came across one where I could'nt find the back books for it. I love to read have been known to carry two and three books with me at a time so really the Kindle is something I will get lots of use from. Also glad all my favorite writers have kindle editons which is really nice. Only bad thing I see about the Kindle is ... I'm the type of person who cannot go to a book store and buy just one book. So I advoid them for most part (which my budget thanks me for) But the Kindles ease of access to books at a touch of a botton is going to be a temptation im going have to watch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.