Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member and have tried to read through the FAQ, but please don't be mad if I ask a simple question.  Too much time with any computer monitor causes migraines for me (see separate post). 

Could someone please tell me, or direct me to a link or tutorial that explains what the Kindle does other than "just" allow one to read books? 

Also, if you're reading a book and come upon a word you don't know the definition of, what's the quickest way to look it up on the Kindle? 

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Jovi said:
I'm a new member and have tried to read through the FAQ, but please don't be mad if I ask a simple question. Too much time with any computer monitor causes migraines for me (see separate post).

Could someone please tell me, or direct me to a link or tutorial that explains what the Kindle does other than "just" allow one to read books?

Also, if you're reading a book and come upon a word you don't know the definition of, what's the quickest way to look it up on the Kindle?

Thanks for your help!
Nothing simpler than looking up a word. Scroll your cursor to the sentence containing the word and press. A screen will appear at the top right corner. Scroll to "lookup," press again and definitions of all the words in the sentence will appear. Not articles and other common words, of course.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
What the Kindle does best is be an ereader: books, magazines, newspapers, blogs and other content you can get from various sources. It allows you to transport an entire library in 10 ounces and has a wireless feature (Whispernet) which makes obtaining content incredibly easy.

Other things it does, but not as expertly: play MP3 files, so it is a music player; it has a rudimentary web browser which can be used to look up stuff. Some folks send and receive email (I don't).

It's core mission is to be a reader and it does that to a very high standard, IMHO.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
What Leslie said. . . .. . .

Ann

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aaahh!  I want one *yesterday* !!  I love that you can look up words.  I can't stand reading past terms I don't know, so that feature will be very convenient for me. 

Does the Whispernet work in most locations similar to cell phone service, or only in wireless areas?  In other words, could I haul it off to the coffee shop and read both a book and then jog over to this Kindle board to read posts?

If there is a very good basic video tutorial you can recommend, I'd love to view it so I don't keep asking Kindle 101 questions  ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Since you do not yet have a Kindle you can't read Leslie's great FAQ she has published for it but the on-line one she referenced above is a good way to start.  Welcome and don't worry too much about asking questions (but do check the FAQs posted on the Board first).  Just reading the posts here is another good way to get a feel for the Kindle.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Jovi,

Glad you are here.  Don't be afraid to ask a question, everyone is helpful around here whenever we can be. 

Pretty much everyone covered it; and as Cush stated, keep reading the boards.  There is a wealth of Kindle information here for you.

--sailor

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Jovi said:
I'm a new member and have tried to read through the FAQ, but please don't be mad if I ask a simple question. Too much time with any computer monitor causes migraines for me (see separate post).

Thanks for your help!
Welcome Jovi, it is a pleasure to have you join us. Please go to Intro/Welcome and introduce yourself. Where do you live, what type of books do you like? You will receive a warm welcome. We all share a passion for reading and Kindling. We have bookclubs starting in Jan., you can read about this in The Book Corner. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

Linda

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Jovi said:
could I haul it off to the coffee shop and read both a book and then jog over to this Kindle board to read posts?
Well, you can read a book on the coffee shop, but the web browser in the Kindle is miserable, and I don't use it for anything. It's slow and doesn't display anything properly. Since you don't have a mouse on the Kindle, navigating web pages is a nightmare. Even getting email is more trouble than it's worth, IMHO.

It's a book reader. ;D

Mike

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
As for the Kindleboards, seems like some have posted that it doesn't work very well on the Kindle's web browser...

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
As for the Kindleboards, seems like some have posted that it doesn't work very well on the Kindle's web browser...

Betsy
It looks like this:

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Have you tried posting from it?  Maybe reading is ok but posting isn't?  I thought I read something somewhere...I know the iPhone seems to work ok, I think that's how Harvey was posting to it on his trip.

Betsy

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I know the iPhone seems to work ok, I think that's how Harvey was posting to it on his trip.
The iPhone works well because it has a regular browser, it looks just like it looks on your computer monitor (except really really small ;D).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a warm welcome I received...thanks!  Not that I'm surprised.  I've always found book lovers to be the type of people who are not only kind and helpful, but love to share knowledge.  I really look forward to reading the FAQs, checking out more tutorials, and getting involved in conversations here.  I'll have to introduce myself on the other board.  Thanks again for answering my questions.  Looking back now, I can see they were all so basic and no one flamed me!  :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts