Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's me being piggy again. I sent my novelette off to my editor to get polished up. Now I need to get the blurb working and the cover just right. What do you guys think?

Blurb:

From New York Times bestselling author of NOT WHAT SHE SEEMS...

When Jane's high school crush asked her to help him get a date for prom, her first instinct was to tell him to take a flying leap. But she'd be spending time with him, teaching him to dance, and he'd be holding her...that sounded like heaven to her.

So she said yes.

But how much practice can her heart take?

The Prom is a novelette, 11,000 words, 50 pages in paperback.

Cover:

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
First thoughts... name the boy. Give us some descriptive for Jane. Insecure? Nerdy? Make us relate or make it easier to feel for her rather than think - come on, girl! have some pride! ;)

Coverwise, it's good, but it really bothers me that the silhouettes are so similar to The Overtaking. I also want some sort of fonty distinction between your name and the title.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Love this cover, it's spot on for the genre.  The silhouettes don't bother me, they could be seen as your "look" for YA books.  Having a signature style can be really important, especially to the YA fiction market.

I would definitely tweak the blurb.  Why in the heck would a hot guy need help with the prom?  That is what I want to know.  Answer that and I might be interested enough to read it. :)

Also, why in the heck is he asking JANE for help?  Does she have special skills that other girls don't?  Have they been friends since childhood and she's the only one he'll be vulnerable with?  In my experience, guys don't ask for help.  :)

Those are my questions when I read the blurb.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Those are very good points/questions, Kate.

If the silhouettes were the same characters that would work for me, but if not then it just seems unoriginal and not branded. That sounds harsh, but I hope you know what I mean. That said, I'm not a YA romance reader.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're not the same characters, so that's definitely something for me to think about, Monique. Thank you.

Here's my next attempt at a blurb:

Jane's been in love with her best friend Lance since they were kids. Best friend, that is, until he ditched her for the more popular crowd. What's a computer nerd doing spending time with jocks anyway?

When he asks her for help getting a date with the most popular girl in school she almost tells him to take a flying leap. But she'd be spending time with him, teaching him to dance, and he'd be holding her...that sounded like heaven.

So she said yes.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Personally, I like the blurb as is. Maybe some reason as to why he'd be asking her for help with dancing (and not just setting him up with a date) might be good, but other than that I like it. Short, punchy, and gets you asking questions. I think the questions that Kate was asking are the very things that would intrigue the potential reader and make them want to buy it and find out all the answers. Blurbs should provoke, not explain.

The cover really looks great, but I'm afraid I, too, am a bit tepid on the silhouettes. Not just because you've used them before, but another author on KB (whose name escapes me) uses the exact same image. And maybe there's more uses out there. Just runs the risk of looking generic.

My two cents  ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Monique said:
Those are very good points/questions, Kate.

If the silhouettes were the same characters that would work for me, but if not then it just seems unoriginal and not branded. That sounds harsh, but I hope you know what I mean. That said, I'm not a YA romance reader.
You don't sound harsh at all! However, branding is pretty big for YA authors. Vicki may decide to change the cover and that would be fine, too. But if you look at say... Amanda Hocking's original books... you can tell they're hers. The same goes for The Shiver series (which I don't like, but they are certainly popular) and Meg Cabot's books. All of them have a unique look that carries through. On the other hand, if Vicki wanted to distinguish between her two universes, YA Sci-fi and YA romance, then she probably should change one of them.

Vicki, if you did do that, you could probably get rid of the silhouettes for the short story, keep all the cool flowers and stuff that trails up into the title and just put a big stylized heart there instead. There are some great free brushes that might work on Deviant. (providing you get permission)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Vicki,

I like the cover at the most basic level, but...

Black and white/greyscale?

That part seems a little lifeless ... and dark ... to me. Esp. given the genre.

You're not doing goth-romance or vampire fiction here, which is what that color scheme implies to me.

Something purple or deep pink or something... or a spring green, since it's about prom... That might work better.

I know most eReaders don't display color, but Amazon, BN.com, and our signatures do, girl! :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Victorine said:
Here's my next attempt at a blurb:

Jane's been in love with her best friend Lance since they were kids. Best friend, that is, until he ditched her for the more popular crowd. What's a computer nerd doing spending time with jocks anyway?

When he asks her for help getting a date with the most popular girl in school she almost tells him to take a flying leap. But she'd be spending time with him, teaching him to dance, and he'd be holding her...that sounded like heaven.

So she said yes.

MUCH BETTER, IMHO. :) I would buy the story based on that blurb. I'm kind of disappointed now that it's so short. hahaha

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
kCopeseeley said:
All of them have a unique look that carries through. On the other hand, if Vicki wanted to distinguish between her two universes, YA Sci-fi and YA romance, then she probably should change one of them.

Vicki, if you did do that, you could probably get rid of the silhouettes for the short story, keep all the cool flowers and stuff that trails up into the title and just put a big stylized heart there instead. There are some great free brushes that might work on Deviant. (providing you get permission)
Eyes, eyes, eyes! The Prom needs mysterious, sexy eyes! :) That's what it's missing! Change out the knife for a prom corsage and you've got it! ;)

·
Registered
632 Posts
But isn't NWSS an adult romance thriller? You probably don't want to link those two. Kady Cross (Kathryn Smith) has two different names for her genre crossing. I don't do anything that extreme, but I personally would shy away from anything that makes my adult books look like my YA books. (And I hope I manage to pull that off with my covers. Anyone feel free to tell me if I don't!)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I LOVE the cover. The silhouettes do not bother me in the least. The only thing I would suggest would be changing the gray color to something a little happier. (Of course, that is assuming that this is HEA kind of book.)

Victorine said:
Best friend, that is, until he ditched her for the more popular crowd. What's a computer nerd doing spending time with jocks anyway?
I like adding names to the blurb, it helps personalize them. I wouldn't put the question about the computer geek in there, but that is just my opinion.

By the way, I too want to read this novelette! It sounds like fun :)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
;) I was teasing about the eyes...

It's just that that's what made Vicki's NWSS cover so striking... those mysterious too-blue-to-be-true eyes... :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Love the blue!  :D

I also love the new blurb--I think it answers the questions posed before.

The only thing I would say is I want the kids' silhouette to be a bit bigger. It seems like there's room for them to be more of a focal point.

Lookin good!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts