Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came across this article… Looks like a new Kindle Paperwhite is going to be announced soon… The article lists upgrades like:

-warm front light
-6.8” screen
-wireless charging and ambient light sensor (for the Signature Edition)

Here’s a link to the article…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
To be fair - the Paperwhite has never had page turn buttons... I would definitely prefer buttons, but I have been reading on a newer Paperwhite lately since my Oasis no longer charges worth a darn and it's not too annoying.
I think it looks interesting, although wireless charging may not be a good idea for a Kindle - how do you read if it's flat on a charger? I want USB-C for charging.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Andra, my thought re page buttons was it would be a real improvement to the Paperwhite. IMO, what they are calling an update seems very minor. I never really cared for the Paperwhite design so that probably colors my opinion. What I really wish for is a Voyage with page buttons. I’d buy that immediately.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The first information I saw about the new Paperwhites was a post on the Kindle Reddit with a screenshot from Amazon Mexico. That one has page turn buttons checked on the Signature edition and really got my hopes up.

If it actually does have page turn buttons I will buy it, if it does not I will most likely pass.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
One thing I recommend: If there's an October release, wait until Black Friday a month later. The PW4 was put on sale after only a month - screwing over loyal customers who preordered, with Amazon customer service only making things worse by being very hit-or-miss about price-adjustments.

(I don't care if they removed their policy on price-adjustments. That would be fine if they consistently applied that policy across the board. Instead, some got it and others didn't. It was a needless exercise in frustration!)

Very shortsighted behavior by Amazon back then. All that did was train me never to preorder a Kindle ever again, which only serves to cost the company money in the long run. Way to go!

But that's me. If you want to be "first in line" and don't care about paying more to have it a month or so early, then by all means, go ahead, preorder, and enjoy!

Edit - Another thing to consider: That Kindle ended up freezing after 6-8 months (something like that) and having to be replaced, which is another reason not to get the earliest version of any model. The whole experience was snakebit for me, to be honest. Thankfully, the replacement has been fine - knock on wood. The only issue was it included a charging cord that didn't fit, but I kept the original cord, so that didn't matter.

Overall, in all the years I've used various Kindle devices (dating back to the OPRAH code), that's the only one I've ever had a real problem with. (Well, my previous PW2 would randomly reset itself every couple of years, which was annoying but tolerable.) Pretty good track record, I'd say!

·
Super Moderator
67,478 Posts
Don't have time to check it out right now, but I could be in the market. I like the shape (length to width ratio) of the PW but wouldn't mind a slightly larger screen. I like the Oasis o.k., but don't like how it's more square, if you know what I mean. Purely an aesthetic thing. Buttons are not required for me, but I'd consider it if the shape stays similar. Will definitely be watching. My current PW has been acting up a bit ... acting like it's full and freezing and needing a restart. But its not even close to full, so kinda weird. My Voyage is still going strong.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My current PW has been acting up a bit ... acting like it's full and freezing and needing a restart.
PW4?

Mine has been randomly restarting too.

I wonder if it's a glitch with the firmware? (I haven't gotten the most recent firmware update yet though.)

·
Registered
748 Posts
USB C finally!!!

Gonna have to agree with etexlady though, the no page buttons are a deal breaker for me and what has kept me from Paperwhites. The two Oasis formats have been a dream (and even love those Haptic Voyage buttons).

Looks like the Signature Edition is gonna cost 209 and has wireless charging, auto light sensing, and 32gigs vs the regular new 6.8 inch which won't have those three and will be 149. That size format is interesting though. I have two 5", multiple 6", a 7.8" and a 10" (Boox Note Air is masterclass in the 10" e ink tablet class) so it's tempting but without the page turns it's not a must for me.

The 17 LED lights is very interesting though as I've been a long standing complainer about Paperwhite lighting. Look forward to seeing it in-hand.

Look forward to some of your reviews.

·
5,995 Posts
I'm not really in the market for another new Kindle, though I admit the slightly larger screen is appealing. If it was a new Voyage, rather than a PW, I'd be a lot more keen. I'll wait to see what everyone else thinks of them and how they're priced - and maybe get a Black Friday deal if I decide to go ahead.

Unlike most of the previous commenters here, I absolutely do NOT want physical page turn buttons. One of the reasons I looked forward to them bringing in touch screens after the keyboard models was so the buttons could be dispensed with. I tried an Oasis when they first came out and between the distraction of the asymmetrical bezel and constantly touching the buttons accidentally every time I moved my hands meant I returned it within a couple of days and happily went back to my Voyage (haptic buttons turned OFF!) Each to their own, I guess. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not in the market for a new Kindle. I have the latest Oasis (forget what version number it's at) and the Paperwhite (10 gen). I mainly use the Paperwhite when i need a smaller device to fit in my purse and the new size of the Paperwhite will not fit. My Oasis is my daily reader, but I've never been overwhelmed with the size of the Oasis and don't exactly use the buttons on a regular basis when reading.
I like the look of the new Paperwhite, it's size does appeal to me (I'd still have to keep the other Paperwhite for times I need to put it in my purse), and I love the idea of USB C finally. But not sure I want to get rid of my Oasis, and I really don't need a 3rd kindle. Yet I do miss the form factor of the Paperwhite instead of the Oasis. But Paperwhite (10 gen) at 6" screen is small at this point after reading on the Oasis, the idea of 6.8" screen which is closer to the Oasis 7" may be the perfect solution.

ok, why does it sound like I'm trying to talk myself into getting the new Kindle? I've had most, not all Kindles since they first came out. Wonder how long before I just go purchase today? lol

Well that didn't take me long 🤦‍♀️. One note the regular Paperwhite version is still expected arrival for 10/27 but the Signature has estimated arrival of 11/11 - 11/20 already.

·
Registered
748 Posts
ok, why does it sound like I'm trying to talk myself into getting the new Kindle? I've had most, not all Kindles since they first came out. Wonder how long before I just go purchase today? Lol

Well that didn't take me long 🤦‍♀️. One note the regular Paperwhite version is still expected arrival for 10/27 but the Signature has estimated arrival of 11/11 - 11/20 already.
Haha. You're likely not alone. A lot of people in this board has every iteration, self included...Gonna try to sit this one out. We look forward to your review.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I don’t need another Kindle (I WANT one though). Grrr

It also shows that it will connect to 5.0 Ghz networks. I am pretty sure the old ones only do 2.4.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don’t need another Kindle (I WANT one though). Grrr

It also shows that it will connect to 5.0 Ghz networks. I am pretty sure the old ones only do 2.4.
That's another reason I also like the idea of this new one. All the old ones only connect to 2.4

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haha. You're likely not alone. A lot of people in this board has every iteration, self included...Gonna try to sit this one out. We look forward to your review.
I thought i was going to sit this one out. Or at least last a day or two. I don't think I lasted an hour after I found out they were out for pre-order. But I've also known I like a larger screen and that I'd most likely get the new one once they came out with USB C. And I've never been 100% happy with the form factor of the larger Oasis, although I loved the form factor and how it fit in your hand on the original Oasis (just hated the battery in the case).

·
5,995 Posts
Interestingly, the new larger PW, at 6.3oz, is the same weight as the Voyage, whereas earlier PWs, though the same size screen as the Voyage, have been larger and heavier. So I am officially more interested. ;)

Having said that, there is no sign at the moment of the new models on Amazon UK, so it's a good job I'm not looking to pre-order as I used to in the 'old' days. (Anyone else remember those huge manic 'Kindle Watch' threads as we all counted down to release date?).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interestingly, the new larger PW, at 6.3oz, is the same weight as the Voyage, whereas earlier PWs, though the same size screen as the Voyage, have been larger and heavier. So I am officially more interested. ;)

Having said that, there is no sign at the moment of the new models on Amazon UK, so it's a good job I'm not looking to pre-order as I used to in the 'old' days. (Anyone else remember those huge manic 'Kindle Watch' threads as we all counted down to release date?).
waiting to see if a serial number had shown up yet, looking for tracking numbers, and release day watching as everyone got theirs while listing for the UPS or FedEx truck. Oh, yes I remember those days and the watch threads, and then the first impressions threads.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Books download so fast without 5G I would look at as a good feature but not a reason for buying.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I saw that too. NO page turn buttons! Dealbreaker for me. Come on Amazon.
Yeah, no page turn buttons is a real down side of the new Paperwhite for me too... im used to my Oasis 2019 and the two versions before that and going back to no buttons would be hard. That said, having no buttons sometimes feels more modern and futuristic to me. Like we live in an all touch screen world and who needs more buttons in 2021...

That's probably just me trying to justify the purchase though. I have to admit, I'm tempted. I mean some of those upgrades are really major IMO, like warm light and size. And the bezels on top and sides look alot smaller to me. Thats always good. Wireless charging sounds nice too and I use the ambient light sensor on my Oasis so there's that too...

But in the end, I'm not sure its really a necessity as my Oasis is ticking along beautifully. AND has page turn buttons which is a luxury I'm not sure I'm ready to give up. We'll see how long I last. Between now and the end of Oct. Is a long time. My mind may very well change.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
67,478 Posts
PW4?

Mine has been randomly restarting too.

I wonder if it's a glitch with the firmware? (I haven't gotten the most recent firmware update yet though.)
I think so? It's the most recent PW I believe. It was acting up a bit before the update, but is doing it more frequently since. Not random restarts so much as the touch screen is suddenly completely unresponsive. So it's basically frozen and I have to do a restart with the switch.

I'm pretty sure I'll talk myself into this as well..... discussion previous seems to indicate it's available for pre-order now ....so I'll be off to Amazon as soon as I finish this post. :)

I have no strong feelings about page buttons either way. Do like the idea of USB-C. Love the idea of wireless charging.

Off to shop!

10 minutes later: O.K. I'm pretty sure I'm getting one of these. Will trade in the PW I have that's being a bit flaky which gets me 20% off. Probably going for the signature edition with a merlot leather cover. Both say they'll be available October 27. Skipping the charging dock as I have multiple Qi chargers that should be compatible.

<new kindle happy dance>

Reactions: quadtronix
1 - 20 of 72 Posts