Kindle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
For me it is not as much the page turn buttons that endear the Oasis to me. It is the wide one sided bezel. I can easily hold the phone in one hand and read anywhere. One handed is especially good for reading in bed. You can off the touch screen and won't get those multi page turns as you fall asleep. Can only turn off touch screen because of the page turn buttons. Next time your Kindle turns on it is again in touch screen mode.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Just read that the new PW has USB-C. Not enough to convince me to leave the Oasis but a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm curious why people are Psyched about USB-C. Is it because your other devices charge with that (like your cell phone) so you like having fewer cords?

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
I'm curious why people are Psyched about USB-C. Is it because your other devices charge with that (like your cell phone) so you like having fewer cords?
Yep: for me, it means one less wire to carry around when I travel. Now I can let my husband manage his Micro USB cables for his phone and kindle, and I'll just need one for my kindle/tablet/phone/etc. It's nice that there isn't a 'right way' to plug it in, but I haven't really had huge issues with that using micro USB. If not already marked, I mark the 'up' of the cable with a Sharpie so I don't have to peer closely at it whenever I plug something in!

(Though, realistically, I'm sure I'll always have an extra micro USB with me for when he doesn't remember where he stashed the one(s) he brought! :D)

The wireless charging on the 'signature edition' is even more attractive to me as my phone can do that so I have a number of Qi chargers -- including in my car, but it's in a space that's not bigger than a phone so it wouldn't work anyway with a kindle. :)

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
It is easier to plug in a usb-c cable - partly because there is no wrong way up and partly because the connection does not have pins on the connector.
My kindle is the last of my devices to use micro-usb for charging. I have had it on my phone for years. I replaced headsets last year. Amazon even updated the Fire tablets in the last couple of years.
I think things can charge faster with usb-c. You don't usually hear of "fast-charging" being associated with micro.

·
5,998 Posts
My phone is the only USB-C device and cable I have - everything else, along with all my other cables is micro USB.

So I just bought a pack of adapters to stick on the end of the old cables as I never seemed to have my phone cable when I needed it. Now every cable in the house can be used with either connection.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have (so far) only one USB-C-charger device (a Chromebook).
Everything else is an assortment of Apple (lightning & a couple of old 30-pin) & micro-usb.
Nothing that's "wireless" unless an Apple watch counts, with its own special charger+cord thingie.

I've seen an article about the EU talking about requiring everything to use the same charger-port.
That should be interesting when some company (any company) invents something even better later on but isn't allowed to use it.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Can anyone tell whether the new pw will have a cellular backup option? WiFi is not always stable in my area so I I always get WiFi plus cellular if I can

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Can anyone tell whether the new pw will have a cellular backup option?
According to the chart on the new Paperwhite’s page, they are only offering Wi-Fi on the PW and Signature Addition. The only model to offer cellular is the Oasis… surprising…. Don’t know if it’s an error or not but that’s what the chart says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Thanks what I thought. Just making sure I wasn’t missing something. That leaves me out lol

According to the chart on the new Paperwhite’s page, they are only offering Wi-Fi on the PW and Signature Addition. The only model to offer cellular is the Oasis… surprising…. Don’t know if it’s an error or not but that’s what the chart says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
It is easier to plug in a usb-c cable - partly because there is no wrong way up and partly because the connection does not have pins on the connector.
My kindle is the last of my devices to use micro-usb for charging. I have had it on my phone for years. I replaced headsets last year. Amazon even updated the Fire tablets in the last couple of years.
I think things can charge faster with usb-c. You don't usually hear of "fast-charging" being associated with micro.

Agreed .... though I think the faster charging is as much to do with the higher powered plug adapter as anything. I know my current micro USB kindles will charge faster or slower depending on which plug I have with the wire. A couple of the old plugs from some of my earlier kindles are barely a trickle charge! :D O.K. for overnight, but not if you want to read again anytime soon. :)

AND ..... I have just ordered the Signature Edition! cover arrives on Oct 27 but the device itself will be mid November. Kind of a bummer, but, whatever. I did a trade in of my current PW for a 20% discount on the new one, so I'll switch over to my old Voyage full time until the new one arrives. And I still have my Oasis as a backup. They gave $30 on the PW; would have given $75 on my old Oasis, but decided to keep it as I kinda like it for bedtime reading on account of the buttons. I don't think they were offering more than $5 on the Voyage.

Anyway, I'll complete the trade in at the "UbreakIfix" shop in person when I get the PW cleared off, etc.

BTW .... it seems that, at least with the Signature Edition, you get 4 free months of KU. If already a subscriber, monthly payments are suspsended for 4 months or, if you prepaid, you'll get 4 months tacked on to the end of what you've paid for. AND, it specifically says in the product 'name' -- no ads. So that's nice. That's $30 of the extra price; I guess the other $20 is more storage and wireless charging.

(I wrote this post early this morning and thought I'd posted it, but apparently didn't. So here it is. :) )

·
5,998 Posts
I think I misunderstood the original post - I thought that it was only the 'signature' edition that had the larger 6.8" screen, but apparently the new regular edition also has that.

So how much extra does the 'signature' edition cost? (Amazon US showing not available and still not on Amazon UK so I can't check). I'm not sure the 32gb is really necessary unless you're putting a lot of audible files on there so is it worth the extra just for wireless charging?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
So how much extra does the 'signature' edition cost? (Amazon US showing not available and still not on Amazon UK so I can't check). I'm not sure the 32gb is really necessary unless you're putting a lot of audible files on there so is it worth the extra just for wireless charging?
In the US, the Signature Edition is $50 dollars more, $139.99 vs $189.99.

In addition to the 32gb and wireless charging, it has the auto light sensor and the ads are removed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So how much extra does the 'signature' edition cost? (Amazon US showing not available and still not on Amazon UK so I can't check).
Amazon UK has the "All-new Kindle Paperwhite" listed at £129.99 for pre-order with ads, and £139.99 without ads. (Release date, October 27th.)

The "Signature Edition" is up for pre-order at £179.99 (Release date, November 10th.)

So it's an extra £40/£50 for the Signature Edition...

·
5,998 Posts
Amazon UK has the "All-new Kindle Paperwhite" listed at £129.99 for pre-order with ads, and £139.99 without ads. (Release date, October 27th.)

The "Signature Edition" is up for pre-order at £179.99 (Release date, November 10th.)

So it's an extra £40/£50 for the Signature Edition...
Thanks, I see it now - it's gone up since I checked yesterday.

So forty quid more expensive than the no-ads regular for 32Gb and wireless charging (both nice but not really necessary) and the auto light sensor (it's on my Voyage but I have it off as the auto adjustments never suit me, so again, for me not an inducement). Everything else, including the larger size, seems to be on the regular one.

Hmm ... even so if I'm going to shell out for (yet another) new Kindle I may finally have to part with some of my older models and trade them in. Decisions, decisions ......

EDIT: I also note that in the US the Signature edition is $189.99 while in the UK it's £179.99 - which is approx. $245 - 30% extra! :mad:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I have not ordered yet, but I did the trade-in on one of my old kindles (DX) to get the 20% off. It's only a $5 credit max, and I doubt I will get that since the battery is drained and I can't get it to charge... But the 20% off is worth it. They would have given more for either of my Oasis models, but I am not ready to give those up even if they annoy me. So once Amazon accepts the trade-in and I get my discount I'll pull the trigger.
I have gotten used to just having a wifi device for me. When I have to replace my mom's I really hope there is a cellular option. It's so much easier just to send the books and have them show up without having her find a hot spot and get connected etc (no internet at her house).

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
I guess the reasoning is that wifi is pretty ubiquitous any more.

I'm officially in "Kindlewatch mode". Checking daily to see if anything has changed even though I KNOW there's little chance of it! :D

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I am also waiting a little bit to get a later (I know!) delivery date. We will be out of town during the last predicted delivery window and I don't want it getting there while I am gone.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
When I did the trade in, I got an instant credit -- with notice that if I didn't actually 'trade in' the device I'd be billed later. I have until Early November to get it to them. My plan is to take it in person to a place nearby where they accept it on behalf of Amazon.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts