Kindle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Who's buying the 30 dollar signature edition charging dock? Love the idea but not with something I charge every two weeks. Might be cool for display and unplug.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
That was my feeling as well. I have several Qi chargers anyway for my phone. Should work laying the kindle flat. Unless they don't work, the only value I really see in the kindle specific one is for display.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
My trade-in was accepted and I got my discount. I just placed my order for the signature edition. Delivery says November 23 - December 1 - yikes!
I figure if they update Oasis I will just make this one my backup.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
If you trade in and get your 20% discount, is there a time limit on using it?
I seem to recall that it was good for a couple of months? But I can't be sure. I've twice done a trade in to get a discount on a new device but I used it right away so I wasn't focusing on how soon I had to use. Of course the trade in value itself is good forever -- applies like GC credit.

My trade-in was accepted and I got my discount. I just placed my order for the signature edition. Delivery says November 23 - December 1 - yikes!
I figure if they update Oasis I will just make this one my backup.
Mine says Nov 15-23 .... but then I ordered almost right away on Sept 23.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did a trade-in last year & used it right away too.

Then...after I sent in the old device it got delivered then lost! So my trade-in-bennies were taken back.
Good think I had a record of the package-tracking showing it had been delivered to Amazon.
Chat w/ CS restored my gift-card & discount. Whew!

All this happened because I lost my (backup/carry-around) PW so I replaced it with a new Oasis.
Then I found my old PW & had another chat w/ CS to restore it from the blacklist & reregister it.

So, no need to get another new device anytime soon for me anyway.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
It does say that the discount is valid for a limited time. But no matter where I looked, I could not find a specific time listed. I am like Ann though - I do a trade-in when I want something new. So I use it as soon as I get in.

·
5,998 Posts
So I've pretty much decided that I'm going to trade in some of my old models - I don't really know why I've hung on to them for this long to be honest, but I can get £50 in total for my K3, Touch, PW1 and PW2.

With a 20% discount, £50 in GCs and 3 months free KU, that effectively reduces the prices from £179.99 to £70 for the signature and £139.99 to £38 for the regular, which is an enormous saving.

Now I have to decide which one to get. My heart says go for the best one, my head says you don't really need the extra specs.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Now I have to decide which one to get. My heart says go for the best one, my head says you don't really need the extra specs.....
Kids edition!!! Removes ads, 2 year guarantee and a “free” case (and 1 year free kids books inc Harry Potter if that floats your boat can set it as a separate profile) - same model as standard just don’t set up as a kids edition. In the UK it’s only £10 more which is the same as without ads. I’m pretty certain I’ll go for this too with usb c making charging more convenient anyway so making wireless charging useless (along with a better battery so less charges) and no need for the extra storage or the auto light feature (which oasis and voyage I tend to just turn off and adjust myself).

·
5,998 Posts
What's everyone doing about covers? Are you ordering the Amazon ones now or waiting for the 3rd party ones later?

I'm glad to see Amazon are offering book style covers for the new Paperwhite but I'm sure there will be cheaper ones on offer later with more choice of colours etc. I'm not too keen on the fabtric one they're offering but the leather one is £35 and that's about two to three times what I would normally pay for say a Fintie cover. :cautious:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I got a case for my last one, but I ended up keeping it in a sleeve and reading it with no cover. I suspect the new one will end up in that sleeve.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
What's everyone doing about covers? Are you ordering the Amazon ones now or waiting for the 3rd party ones later?

I'm glad to see Amazon are offering book style covers for the new Paperwhite but I'm sure there will be cheaper ones on offer later with more choice of colours etc. I'm not too keen on the fabtric one they're offering but the leather one is £35 and that's about two to three times what I would normally pay for say a Fintie cover. :cautious:
I splurged and got one of the Amazon ones. It's actually supposed to arrive well before the actual device .......

·
Registered
153 Posts
I’m getting one of the Amazon ones. The cork cover. I have a cork cover on my current Paperwhite and like it. But knowing me, I’ll most likely end up with a few different cases over time

·
5,998 Posts
I did it. o_O

I decided that saying I didn't need the extra specs of the Sig edition was silly because by that logic I don't actually need a new Kindle at all, I just want it.

So, I ordered a new PW Signature - got my 20% discount and used £50 GC from trade in. Estimated delivery date 11th November (day after release date). Haven't decided what to do about the cover yet. I don't want to use the Kindle unprotected but I don't want to pay Amazon's exorbitant prices either.

Only 5 weeks and 1 day to go ...........

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
Just got notice that my Kindle Paperwhite Signature edition which was due Nov 11-19 is now due Oct 29th. !!!
Mine still shows Nov 15-23 as of this morning .... but you've given me justification for checking obsessively! :D

Reactions: crisandria

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Regarding the Amazon case: My original Paperwhite was purchased in 2012. I have an official Amazon case for it. This week I noticed that the portion of the cover that keeps the Kindle in place is disentegrating. Now I realize that 9 years is a long time to expect a case to last, but I have other non-Amazon cases that are at least as old if not older that are holding up better. YMMV of course.

·
5,998 Posts
Regarding the Amazon case: My original Paperwhite was purchased in 2012. I have an official Amazon case for it. This week I noticed that the portion of the cover that keeps the Kindle in place is disentegrating. Now I realize that 9 years is a long time to expect a case to last, but I have other non-Amazon cases that are at least as old if not older that are holding up better. YMMV of course.
I do like the Amazon cases (at least the book style ones) and they're usually decent quality but I just resent having to pay so much for them - and there's such a limited choice of colours too.

But getting the Kindle on release day makes buying non-Amazon covers problematic so I always got the Amazon ones until the Voyage came out and it had those dreadful (IMO!) origami ones. That was when I discovered that other vendors have a much larger choice of design and are cheap enough that you can buy two, sometimes three different ones and still be saving money compared to Amazon.

What I decide to do this time will depend on how long I have to wait and what choices are available - I'll no doubt be eager to use the new Kindle but will be worried about it not being protected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I purchased a Paperwhite a month ago while my Voyage was lost inside the mechanism of a recliner. My son found the Voyage a couple of days after I received the new Paperwhite. (Murphy's Law)

Not having page turn buttons is a deal breaker for me. I would have bought an Oasis if they hadn't been back ordered until mid-November.

I primarily use the Voyage haptic button to return to the last page. I find it easier than using the narrow band on the left side of the screen. Everything else about the PW is suitable for me.

I am going to skip the new PW and wait until the Oasis becomes available again or maybe a new Oasis?

41 - 60 of 80 Posts