Kindle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I ordered the updated Paperwhite on the theory that once I got it, the Oasis (or something with buttons) would get the USB-C charging.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
IF they're switching to USB-C for the new paperwhite, it is very likely that new Oasis and even basic kindle models will eventually go that way as well.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a few questions… First, about the 20% discount with a trade in. They say it may take 10 days to verify the trade in and add the credit to your account. So will I get the 20% discount if I order the new Paperwhite now? Do they just give you a credit for 20% of the purchase price? (that would be fine) And then, any suggestion on which Kindle I should trade in - the Original white “Oprah” kindle or the K3? Both still work but each would bring in a whopping $5 credit on trade in so makes no difference in that area.

Also, for a number of years now I’ve kept my 8 year old PW in airplane mode and just manually loaded books via Calibre, thereby keeping some of the hundreds of library & KU books from expiring. There are still many I haven’t read. I don’t suppose there would be any way of transferring them to the new PW without having them expire, is there? The PW still works fine though the battery may be slowing down a bit.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
I have a few questions… First, about the 20% discount with a trade in. They say it may take 10 days to verify the trade in and add the credit to your account. So will I get the 20% discount if I order the new Paperwhite now? Do they just give you a credit for 20% of the purchase price? (that would be fine) And then, any suggestion on which Kindle I should trade in - the Original white “Oprah” kindle or the K3? Both still work but each would bring in a whopping $5 credit on trade in so makes no difference in that area.
Here's how it worked for me. I was on the page for the new device and clicked the link about trading in. Followed all the prompts there to answer questions and when I was done, it said something like, "congratulations your trade in is approved, your discount is applied and your GC account has been credited." Then followed a note that said that if they didn't actually get the thing by some specific date, I'd be billed back, via my CC on file, for the amount of the discount and GC credit. I then went and ordered and, sure enough, the discount was applied and I could use the GC amount as well -- in fact, it defaults to using the whole of any GC balance and you'll have to switch it to only use a portion, or none, if that's what you want.

Rather than mailing it in, I followed the links in the email that referenced the uBreakiFix shops where they will take things for Amazon trade in person. (This is in the US.) The email had a bar code which you show to the folks at the shop that has all the info. I'd put mine back in the original box and he didn't even open it, just asked if it worked and all. The first time I did this, I'd printed the email but had my phone with me and he actually could scan it from my phone better than the printed version. So this time I just made sure I had it on my phone and could find it quickly.

Note: I've done trade ins with Amazon before, both by mailing back the device and once in person. Not sure if that makes a difference in whether they'll do an instant credit. Or it may be because I went to the trade in page via the product page link. When I did this in the summer with a Fire, I think it didn't credit me until they had the trade in -- and doing it in person meant I could be sure of that sooner and buy the new device while it was still on sale.

Also, for a number of years now I’ve kept my 8 year old PW in airplane mode and just manually loaded books via Calibre, thereby keeping some of the hundreds of library & KU books from expiring. There are still many I haven’t read. I don’t suppose there would be any way of transferring them to the new PW without having them expire, is there? The PW still works fine though the battery may be slowing down a bit.
Before sending (or taking) the device in, you'll have to clear it off entirely. Easiest way is a factory reset which will de-register it from your account and clear the contents.

Anything you bought/acquired from Amazon is still in your account. So it's available, but if you want to go through Calibre to get it on the new device, I guess you'll have to do the process again. I've never bothered; I just let it do it's thing wirelessly and it's always worked great for me.

If it's stuff you also have stored on your computer, you should be able to re-transfer it to the new device without much difficulty. But note that, in general, a purchased Amazon book downloaded for a specific device is coded for that device and won't load to a different device without re-downloading.

Your current KU borrows will, of course, still be available in your account -- "current" meaning the last 20 you borrowed. Anything older will not be.

Library books aren't meant to be kept indefinitely so any that are past the 'return by' date will definitely be gone. More recent, unexpired borrows should still be in your account and can be downloaded to another device.

Of course you can always re-borrow any you haven't read. And I guess you could do your thing again so you can keep them. But I have to say I think it's better practice to read as you borrow and return the book when you're finished. It may not be 'hurting' anyone the way you do it, since the book is technically returned, but you still have a copy so it is, at the very least, against the spirit of the rules. I admit I have been known to turn wireless off on a device when I've had a library book about to expire that I haven't quite finished reading yet -- but I always do return it (wireless back on), as soon as I have finished it. Usually within a day or two.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Up until the past year or so I have always gotten the 20% credit immediately. However, the last two times I had to send in the device and Amazon had to acknowledge it before I got the 20%.
Either I didn't notice the option to drop it off or it wasn't available. I am in Austin, so I doubt it wasn't available; I probably just did not see it.
If you have that option and choose to use it, you will see your discount much faster.
They definitely will not credit you if you place the order without it. Nor will they change the discount to a different order if you messed up and ordered the wrong thing (ask me how I know that one).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks so much, Ann & Andra. I’m in south Louisiana. No idea if there’s a drop off site nearby or not, though certainly not in my little town .

Ann - as for the library books, I’ve always returned them via the Overdrive app as soon as I’ve gotten them on my Kindle, so the turnaround time for “checkout” has often been no more than minutes and I periodically go through & delete the ones I’ve read. I generally read very quickly but there have been times when life has gotten hectic or like when I began machine quilting & later machine embroidering where I was either busy reading or watching videos on those topics or actually sewing instead of reading on my Kindle. I’ve got three friends who are also avid readers with similar tastes in books as mine who would often send me book suggestions so I’d usually grab them for reading later. My books got ahead of me so my Kindle hasn’t been out of airplane mode for quite some time. 🙃

·
5,998 Posts
If you've got all your KU and library books in Calibre (and removed the drm) then I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to transfer them to any other Kindle if that's what you want to do. If you don't remove the drm then as Ann says they will probably only work on the Kindle they were originally downloaded for. Also she's correct that it's not technically within the rules but that's up to you.

I also don't think you actually need to keep wireless off as I don't think Amazon / Overdrive will necessarily recognise those books as the ones you borrowed from them, especially as they won't be 'in the cloud'. If you have a copy of them safe in Calibre you could experiment and see without losing anything.

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
Thanks so much, Ann & Andra. I’m in south Louisiana. No idea if there’s a drop off site nearby or not, though certainly not in my little town .
There are several locations for the "uBreakiFix" stores in Louisiana: Repair Locations Nationwide | uBreakiFix. I assume if they do Amazon trade ins here in Virginia, they will there as well.

Ann - as for the library books, I’ve always returned them via the Overdrive app as soon as I’ve gotten them on my Kindle, so the turnaround time for “checkout” has often been no more than minutes and I periodically go through & delete the ones I’ve read. I generally read very quickly but there have been times when life has gotten hectic or like when I began machine quilting & later machine embroidering where I was either busy reading or watching videos on those topics or actually sewing instead of reading on my Kindle. I’ve got three friends who are also avid readers with similar tastes in books as mine who would often send me book suggestions so I’d usually grab them for reading later. My books got ahead of me so my Kindle hasn’t been out of airplane mode for quite some time. 🙃
I hear ya! I always have a bunch on hold and sometimes they seem to come all at the same time. Thankfully, there's now a feature that lets you push back the date. So if I already have 3 and one more comes available that I don't think I can get to in time, I can go to the site and say give me another week (or 2 or 3 or 4) and then I get another notice then. It's like letting others go ahead of you, without you having to go all the way to the back of the line.

Reactions: Muddypawz

·
Registered
8,174 Posts

I keep my Kindles in airplane mode too and use Calibre. If you hook up your old PW to your computer and open up Calibre, click on the Device button to show what is on your Kindle, then you can either right click on a book to bring up a menu that includes Add Books To Library (which would add it to you Calibre library) or you can do a group move by using your cursor to select multiple titles and right clicking to get to Add Books To Library. That should accomplish what you want by backing up your Kindle book collection then you can just download them to your new Kindle later.

·
5,998 Posts
Is it me or is time suddenly going veeerrrry slooooowly? :rolleyes:

If I'd ordered the regular edition I'd have less than a fortnight to wait, but as I'm getting the sig edition that's nearly four weeks away.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. "Four weeks till Santa comes, Mom?! But that's forever!" :eek:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I’m still debating whether or not to order one and if so, which to order. 🙄 Common sense tells me to wait since my 8 yr old PW still works fine and I’m not having to deal with the screen/menu hassles I keep reading about on here. Also, I know I won’t want to read the countless books I have on the old PW once the new one gets here….but that larger screen keeps calling my name. Decisions, decisions….

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
Is it me or is time suddenly going veeerrrry slooooowly? :rolleyes:

If I'd ordered the regular edition I'd have less than a fortnight to wait, but as I'm getting the sig edition that's nearly four weeks away.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. "Four weeks till Santa comes, Mom?! But that's forever!" :eek:
I know, right? Nov 15 at the earliest for me for delivery. I'm TRYING to be patient. :D

(Also annoying: the cover will probably be here just after the first of the month ...... at least I'll have something to put it in as soon as I get it.)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I’m still debating whether or not to order one and if so, which to order. Common sense tells me to wait since my 8 yr old PW still works fine and I’m not having to deal with the screen/menu hassles I keep reading about on here. Also, I know I won’t want to read the countless books I have on the old PW once the new one gets here….but that larger screen keeps calling my name. Decisions, decisions….
I'm in the same boat... can't decide whether to order at all, or which one to order if I do. I want the signature edition obviously, but its a steep difference in price and I would have to wait longer. Then I would want the charging stand to go with it which adds to the price and might take even longer to arrive! But then again, I don't know what I'm in such a rush for. My kindle Oasis works fine, so what's a couple extra weeks of waiting? I also am considering the cork cover though I noticed on Amazon's site that it comes in light or dark. So yet another decision. Leaning toward dark... we'll see...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
5,998 Posts
(Also annoying: the cover will probably be here just after the first of the month ...... at least I'll have something to put it in as soon as I get it.)
There's already one non-Amazon cover (available in the UK from 30th Oct) which is cheaper than the cheapest Amazon cover and with lots more colours / designs to choose from.

But since it's still nearly four weeks till my PW arrives I'm keeping my powder dry, as it were, and waiting to see if anything else shows up. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
There are a handful of non-amazon covers on the US site .... but still limited colors. I'm sure more will come ... I doubt they can even make 'em until the device is actually released so they have something to work the dimensions from.

·
5,998 Posts
There are a handful of non-amazon covers on the US site .... but still limited colors. I'm sure more will come ... I doubt they can even make 'em until the device is actually released so they have something to work the dimensions from.
Yes, which is the one advantage of the Sig edition being released later - as both models are the same size they'll have the regular one to work with earlier. :)

·
Super Moderator
67,481 Posts
SO EXCITED! :eek:

Just got an email from Amazon that my Signature Edition PW will now be delivered October 29. It's like they just moved Christmas 2 weeks earlier!

<happy dance>

(Hoping all the rest of y'all get similar good news ......)

·
5,998 Posts
SO EXCITED! :eek:

Just got an email from Amazon that my Signature Edition PW will now be delivered October 29. It's like they just moved Christmas 2 weeks earlier!

<happy dance>

(Hoping all the rest of y'all get similar good news ......)
Nope. :mad:

Still showing as being released 10th Nov and arriving 11th Nov. * sigh *

61 - 80 of 80 Posts