Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
That others of you have successfully done a manual update is a good sign. . . .the troubleshooting on Amazon does say to basically do a fresh download and try again.  So I will do that. . . I was out though until just now so haven't had a chance.  Oh, and if anyone else has a similar issue, note that it says to delete the first try from the kindle before copying a new file -- which makes sense if the first version was corrupted.

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
Since it doesn't even address, on the page at Amazon, what changes the update incorporates, I'm guessing it's primarily speed tweaks.

Might also be improvement in rendering the KF8 which is sometimes the focus for complaints about tiny fonts. Now, I regard that as a publisher failing -- they should have made sure it would work, but it would be like Amazon to adjust something so that the default is better for customers even if publishers don't jump through all the hoops. I base that guess on the fact that they recently updated the 'Send to Kindle' applet so that MS Word docs now convert better -- they used, on the PW, default to a smaller than usual sans serif font even if they were in a serif font to start with.

I'm going to try the update again today. . . . first I have to get the computer to recognize the 'kindle as drive'. It did it once but then didn't want to. I have to make sure the bad update file is deleted before I can do anything else! :)

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, Matt. . . .I've merged your post with the existing 'updates' thread and changed the title. . . . . .off to see what it does. :)

Here's a link: Kindle PaperWhite Software Update

And here's what it says on the page at Amazon:

The software update includes the following enhancements:

View full definition when looking up a word
When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can now view the full definition in the definition window.

Search enhancements
You can easily search for a highlighted word or phrase in your book, your items, or in the Kindle Store. Highlight the word or phrase, select More, and then select Search.

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
Grandma Mazur said:
My new PW has 5.3.4. I really dont want to do the computer dowload...it says that it will automatically download....should it have happened by now? The update my kindle option is grayed out on my PW..THANKS
Suggest you make sure it's fully charged and then leave wireless on overnight. Usually the updates will download in the background but then need a period of sleep before they'll start installing. May have to do this several days in a row until the 'get' to you. :)

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
amyberta said:
Ann should I leave the wireless on only at night and shut it off during the day or does it matter if I
just leave it on all the time?
I leave mine on all the time. . . . some people don't like to because they don't have a ready wireless network and the battery will drain faster if it keeps looking when it can't find. It certainly won't hurt the device -- Amazon has designed it to be on all the time, I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.