Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is common knowledge already (I'm always the last to know), but I did a KB search and didn't come up with any threads relating to this.

I just checked out the Amazon Kindle 2 black leather cover ($29.99) with the hinge system on Amazon.com this evening and noticed they've posted four additional photos. What do you think of the hinge system? I've zoomed in and still find it difficult to tell if it will function well....guess I'll have to see when I get it.

The link to the Amazon Kindle 2 cover is below. I can't figure out how to post the Amazon photos, but this link should bring you to the product page.

Amazon Kindle 2 Leather Cover

·
Registered
130 Posts
Zooming in on the top "hinge" (the one not attached to the Kindle) it does look like it has almost a locking mechanism.  I think the Kindle will slide onto the hinges then have to be pushed down horizontally to secure it.  I'm guessing it will take a bit of effort to move it into position to have it get all locked in.

Should keep the Kindle from just falling out of the case, but not being knocked out if done properly, but if too much effort is needed to "lock" it in, then some owners may not get it all the way secured.

If the spine is soft, shouldn't be a reason it can't be folded back from what we see in this image.

What I don't like about this is, depending on the stiffness of the back cover, the Kindle could flop away from it a bit.  We'll see how it is when people get it in person, but this design still doesn't inspire me or make me think it would be a good option.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm getting this cover because I'm interested in Amazon's response to the problems people had w/ the OK (original Kindle) not being secure in some of the covers.  I also like the look of a 'floating' Kindle w/out the velcro.  It is hard from the pics to tell how well it will work.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't notice at first that the top hinge appears to be a bit different than the bottom hinge....or is it just me?

I ordered this cover because I felt my K2 needed protection and, since it was made specifically for K2, I had hopes it would work well. Perhaps after the K1 cover complaints, they devised something more secure. If it's not secure, I'll be returning it, as I don't find it aesthetically pleasing.

I want an Oberon cover, but they won't be available in time; the Belkin and other sleeves were nearly as expensive as the Amazon K2 cover, so I decided to give the Amazon a try. Sure wish there were other options to keep my K2 safe until the Oberon K2 covers are ready.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Those pictures are a little better, but you'd think they'd really market it a little better with better details, especially since this is their cover made specifically for the Kindle 2.  They know there are competitors covers out there.  Just doesn't seem like they are making as big of a deal about the cover.  I got it because it was available when the kindle 2 came out.  Don't know when my M-edge is coming and wanted something to protect it.  We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
534 Posts
libro said:
I ordered this cover because I felt my K2 needed protection and, since it was made specifically for K2, I had hopes it would work well. Perhaps after the K1 cover complaints, they devised something more secure.

I want an Oberon cover, but they won't be available in time; the Belkin and other sleeves were nearly as expensive as the Amazon K2 cover, so I decided to give the Amazon a try. Sure wish there were other options to keep my K2 safe until the Oberon K2 covers are ready.
I feel the same way...I'm waiting for Oberon and wanted something 'cheap' until then, but all the same, I'm hoping that for $29.99 it will be a decent cover.

I went back to the pics and tried to make sense out of them...the only insight I got was this:
"Custom hinge locks Kindle securely in place" {<--on the main Kindle 2.0 page, I clicked on the 'learn more' about the Kindle 2 leather book cover, then looked at the bottom picture}
This leads me to believe there is only one hinge. ??? ???

·
Registered
921 Posts
It seems that if they were only going to put one hinge there, it would be in the center.  That one seems to be at the bottom.  I'd think there would be 2 of them to keep it from moving around unbalanced.  Hope so anyway.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I agree that it may not be the most attractive, but it is a plain leather cover and I hope it does the job until my M-edge gets here. 

·
Registered
921 Posts
kevin63 said:
It seems that if they were only going to put one hinge there, it would be in the center. That one seems to be at the bottom. I'd think there would be 2 of them to keep it from moving around unbalanced. Hope so anyway.
I looked at the pictures again. In the 6th one over, it shows 2 hinges. One just didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
kevin63 said:
I agree that it may not be the most attractive, but it is a plain leather cover and I hope it does the job until my M-edge gets here.
Didn't you get a Kindle bag from Melissa?

·
Registered
921 Posts
kari said:
Didn't you get a Kindle bag from Melissa?
Yeah, but that's a cover for my cover, lol. I got an email last night saying it's been shipped so I'm looking for it Monday or Tuesday. And I had the Amazon cover and the M-edge cover ordered way before I ordered the bag from Melissa.

·
Registered
534 Posts
kevin63 said:
I looked at the pictures again. In the 6th one over, it shows 2 hinges. One just didn't make sense to me.
'K, good. One didn't make sense to me, either. It would have less of a hinge function and more of a pivot function!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also ordered this cover while I wait for Oberon.  I like anything that give's me the floating look.  I don't like corners, so even though I ordered the Oberon River Garden, I will probably cancel and think about it if they don't come up with something beside corners.  I would prefer hinges if it's possible to velcro but will take velcro if I have to!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I think you put the bottom hinge in the hole on the kindle and then rotate it till the top hinge snaps in.  Then the little tab on the top hinge is so you can release it to remove it from the cover.

Ann

·
Registered
921 Posts
I've just never liked the idea of having to put Velcro on any of my gadgets.  I suppose it works for some people, just never appealed to me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
kevin63 said:
I've just never liked the idea of having to put Velcro on any of my gadgets. I suppose it works for some people, just never appealed to me.
I don't like it neither but prefer it better then corners. I find corners take away from the look of the reader; it's intrusive to me. I think it is because I have the Sony and that's why I like the floating look.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Trekker said:
I don't think so, I think it looks pretty decent. This may be the only cover I buy.
I'm optimistic, also. I don't think it is ugly, just more subdued vs some of the (more expensive) other choices...

Oberon does have some pretty nice looking products, though!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think it is pretty attractive as well.  Simple and classic looking. I have an Oberon for K1, but really do like the this one.  The curved corners on the cover definitely compliment the kindle's corners.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts