Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I didn't ever not have respect for SP authors, but for the last two weeks I've been going through the motions of getting things in place for releasing a couple titles on my own, and it has been a LOT of work. If I didn't have a couple author friends who had walked the path before me, I would have been totally lost.

I'm aiming for a 04/15 release and when I started, I thought it would a simple date to hit, now I'm thinking it's going to be tight. I'm not in a rush or anything, I'll delay if need be. I just work much better on a deadline, so I give myself one and pretend it's etched in stone.

But hats off to all you SP authors out there. I'm hoping each title gets easier from here on out...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Congratulations on your upcoming releases!

It does get a little easier as you have learned the ropes, but each new book is still a lot of work, so that doesn't change. :) But since you know what you are doing, you can do the work faster.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What's the saying?

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes."

(That way, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.)

Seriously, though, it is a lot of work to write, edit and self-publish. And those are the easy parts.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Steve W. said:
First of all, I didn't ever not have respect for SP authors, but for the last two weeks I've been going through the motions of getting things in place for releasing a couple titles on my own, and it has been a LOT of work. If I didn't have a couple author friends who had walked the path before me, I would have been totally lost.

I'm aiming for a 04/15 release and when I started, I thought it would a simple date to hit, now I'm thinking it's going to be tight. I'm not in a rush or anything, I'll delay if need be. I just work much better on a deadline, so I give myself one and pretend it's etched in stone.

But hats off to all you SP authors out there. I'm hoping each title gets easier from here on out...
Yes, making it over the learning curve does help a bit, but being an Indie author is a lot work, and will continue to be a lot of work because the market is always changing.

If it makes it any easier to confront the challenges and toil to get your books published, remember this - You are getting two salaries. You get the 25% of net that a publisher would grudgingly hand over a few times a year, and you get the 75% that the publisher would have kept. Even better, you get paid every month, you don't have to surrender the rights to your books, and you get to make all the major decisions about the work you've produced. Life couldn't get much better. ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
High quality and ever improving results can only occur with rigorous application of an ever improving process.  Each release yields lessons learned and problem solving and iterations of finer and finer activities ad steps.  Execution is quicker, less rework and frustration.

Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the well wishes, guys. I hummed and hawed about the decision to put a couple titles out for wayyy too long. I am terrified about it, and excited too. Worst part, I have to admit, is how much getting things ready, i.e. acting as a publisher, takes away from my already limited 'writing' time.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Hi Steve,

So glad you found your way here. SPing is a lot of work, but once you get the hang of it, it won't be all that big of a deal. One thing I'd suggest you start as soon as possible is a mailing list and include a link at the end of your books, FB, your blog/website, Goodreads and anywhere else you can think of. It's stuff like this that takes the most time in my opinion, setting up all the websites you need, but I believe you're already a member of most of them, so it shouldn't be a big deal for you. Really happy to see you here. Best of luck, not that you'll need it since your books look great! (I saw a sneak peek).

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Congratulations, Steve. :)

A little respect and to be read is what most of us want. I love hanging out at KBoards because I know all the authors here go through the same things I do in getting a book up and out.

Writing seems to be the easiest part. The editing, formatting for ebooks .mobi, .epub, then again for paperbacks, plus covers, then getting them up at all the various sales sites, generating some buzz, learning some .html, updating your websites, then going back and putting all your new work links into the back and/or front of existing, that's the work.

·
Registered
91 Posts
shel said:
Congratulations! The learning curve is really steep, but take heart--each release gets a little easier.

You must be close if you're thinking about your deadline, so let us know when you push publish!
I really needed to hear that. I'm not a author but here is my story. :)

A very good friend of mine was in a accident a couple of years ago and really couldn't convert his working files for epub, couldn't grasp it.(brain damage) So I offered to tackle six out of print works that he has pub rights to. They came to me in WP-5 format. They had to be converted to .doc. That took a few days. I then threw them into Calibre and editing in Sigil, what a mess. I used to be good with html 15 years ago and I'm getting blurry eyed after 4 hours a day working on them. I'm doing it for free so's he and his wife maybe will get a small income sooner or later hopefully.

Steep is a underestimate.

But thanks to y'all here I have been learning a whole lot. I'll get there, because I refuse to quit, and it feels great to help him out.

Thanks, KB's!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Congrats on the upcoming release! It's terrifying and exhilarating and will hopefully also be one of the best experiences of your life. And now that you've found KB you have a built in peanut gallery to cheer you on, offer advice and commiserate when you hit a rough patch. I love it!!! (can you tell?)

·
Registered
160 Posts
It is a lot of work as others have mentioned and when you do not know what you are doing, the task is even more daunting, but the reward of sharing your work is monumental.  I have always been shy about my writing because I tend to like slightly darker stories and when someone reads my work, they are reading into what I am as a person, but the feeling you get when someone tells you that you are good at what you love to do is about as rewarding as it gets.  Good luck on hitting your deadline.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts