Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hi! I'm a newb author, but I have a firm background in illustration and design, so take as will.

The text bevel looks really unprofessional. I'd replace it with flat text and a closer fitting drop shadow or a black stroke.

The girl got my attention in thumbnail because she looks odd and I wanted to see what was on her face, but the transparency is jarring in full view. It looks like the person who made it didn't know what they were doing.
I would probably duplicate the model's layer, use a mask and edge out the outer part of her hair and form and play with the blending modes on that part to see which one looks the best, but leave the core of her face and body mostly solid.

And if the DNA is on a separate layer from the background, lose the gradient.  Its colors are kinda icky and you'd do better with higher contrast, I think?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
judygoodwin said:
Unfortunately the DNA strands and background are a single image. Interesting idea about the model--before I used a gradient on her she looked terrible against the background, but I like your idea.

I don't know why, but flat text always looks strange to me. I'll post without the bevel and see if anyone has suggestions.

And yes, bioengineering. :)
If you wanted to take the time to carefully mask the background and make it black or something, that'd probably make the whole cover pop more. It wouldn't be too hard, just time consuming. :)

And it doesn't necessarily have to be unadorned, just the bevel looks odd. Bevels are tricky. I don't know so much about typography, honestly, but I just know that from a reader's perspective, that text made me think the book is cheaply made, so probably won't be good. (I try not to judge a book by its cover, but you know that most people do.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe try a different font.  Can't quite put it into words, but it feels "bloated".  Maybe a thinner font?  And yes, definitely loose the bevel.  The effect feels "Photoshop".

Maybe have the model looking to the side or away.  Direct stares are a bit of a gamble.  For me it fails more often than it works.

Keep in mind, all of this is totally my subjective opinion!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts