Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my toe-dipping into the ocean of self publishing comes closer and closer, all the various moving pieces are starting to come together. Here is the print cover for my debut self publishing story--a 7,000 word short called Embers.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
And for the record, having been allowed to read it, I have to say that I liked Embers.

(I do have to say that the man-in-a-hood cover is a cliche. On the plus side, it screams fantasy. So overall, it's a win!)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
That's a beautiful cover. Who's your cover artist?

I am actually surprised to know that you can publish something so short in a print edition. I  wouldn't think it would be bindable.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mathew Reuther said:
And for the record, having been allowed to read it, I have to say that liked Embers.

(I do have to say that the man-in-a-hood cover is a cliche. On the plus side, it screams fantasy. So overall, it's a win!)
Matthew,

Thanks! Yes, this was a difficult story to capture in a cover. Our very own Kalen O'Donnell did incredible work given the limitations of this author to describe his own work. :) I've had some of my beta readers do some unofficial market research, and so far the cover seems to interest people enough that they would click through to look more at the details. :)

Keith

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MegHarris said:
That's a beautiful cover. Who's your cover artist?

I am actually surprised to know that you can publish something so short in a print edition. I wouldn't think it would be bindable.
Yes, I agree it's a beautiful cover. Kalen O'Donnell worked like a madman to convey what I wanted to convey on this cover. And he did an amazing job. He was also affordable and extremely professional. He responded to emails promptly (within minutes some times) and stayed in contact constantly. Couldn't be happier with him.

According to Createspace, 24 pages is the minimum necessary for any trim size. I'm not expecting a giant run on this print edition, but I do hope it contrasts well with the ebook version!

I'm really glad you like the cover!

Keith

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
MegHarris said:
I am actually surprised to know that you can publish something so short in a print edition. I wouldn't think it would be bindable.
My shorts are 40+ pages long. Minimum bindable is 24. You really do have to charge 5 bucks to make any profit though.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
According to Createspace, 24 pages is the minimum necessary for any trim size.
I honestly did not know that (I'm just getting into making CreateSpace editions myself). Thanks for the info, and good luck with your story!

My shorts are 40+ pages long. Minimum bindable is 24. You really do have to charge 5 bucks to make any profit though.
Yeah, I don't think I currently have a fanbase willing to pay that much for my stories. :) Good to know in case I ever decide to try it, though!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
MegHarris said:
I honestly did not know that (I'm just getting into making CreateSpace editions myself). Thanks for the info, and good luck with your story!

Yeah, I don't think I currently have a fanbase willing to pay that much for my stories. :) Good to know in case I ever decide to try it, though!
If you do not pay for expanded distribution it costs you nothing but whatever the formatting costs. My layout and covers are in house, so the actual cost is time, not money.

As it stands right now we have not dropped the 3 (4, tomorrow) shorts in series one into POD paperback, but we COULD without any up front cost because we have the resources on hand to do it.

(The compilation of the first four volumes will be out in POD in a couple of weeks though. We've already decided that is definitely happening. We just haven't decided if we're doing ED or not.)

Worth noting: books cost the same from 24-110 pages, so if you want to aim for a short form print size that maximizes size for cost, you want to aim for around 100 pages. This is doable in a novella, for instance.

My take: having a POD version gets a different market than ebooks.

YMMV.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MegHarris said:

Meg,

I'm creating this print edition so that the ebook version will look like an even better deal. And there might be a few people who just like an actual book. Since this is a short story, I'm opting out of expanded distribution. My gross profit on this book is something like .84 cents. I'm still vacillating on my pricing strategy for short stories, but I'l leading toward $2.99. So if I can link the ebook and the print version, readers will save $2.00 by buying the ebook.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am working with Kalen right now on two covers, and thus far he has been phenomental to work with. These are my first commissioned covers, and he was patient enough to deal with my questions and concerns and walk this newb through the steps. I've been a pain in the a$$, but isn't any writer when it comes to their babies? Kalen's been great, and the final drafts he is working on are just what I wanted.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
  Dreamweaver,

Thanks! I agree--and when I worked at TSR, Wizards of the Coast, and Paizo I dealt with a lot of phenomenal covers all the time. Kalen met and exceeded my expectations!

Jason,

Kalen does rock!! And once "Embers" sees the light of day, I plan on submitting it to shortfictionspotlight.com!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Aside from the kerning errors and the lack of text running down the spine, that's a good cover for a printed book. But isn't this a 7,000-word short story? Are you coming out with a printed version?

Edit: I hadn't read the other comments before posting mine. I find your strategy very interesting; offer a short story in both print and ebook versions to make the ebook seem like the better buy. And I guess the book will be just too short to allow for type on the spine.

My eyes still go to the kerning, however. Too much space between the K and the E in your name, for example, or the O and the W in Power... but that's just me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
  A.S., Rue, and SMReine,

Thank! Like I said, I am in love with this cover. Can't wait to upload!

Ian,

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the strategy works. I also hope to sell a few along the way!

And thanks for the constructive feedback on the font!!

Keith

1 - 20 of 20 Posts