Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I took my boys too see all of the Star Trek movies.  I'm thinking about going tomorrow.  None of my kids live near enough to be with me for Mothers Day, so I thought a movie would be fun.
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about it as well. . . .apparently Zach Quinto is fairly masterful as a young Spock. . . . we don't actually go to the theater much  -- we have friends who like to buy DVD's so we just wait 6 months and watch with them -- but we may make a foray to see this. . ..

Ann

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Trekker, thanks for the review.  A couple others on here have said it was good, but really didn't post particulars.  Since my boys won't be with me to "explain" things, your explanation will help me not be lost.
deb

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My wife and I took our boys to the show last night, we're all trekkie geeks.  Pleasantly surprised with the movie. They did a really good job with the replacement characters which can be dicey as people hate change, but they managed to fit in all of the old characters stock "sayings" which had my wife laughing.

All in all good and I'm looking forward to the next installments.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I wanna see this!!  But DD's probably too young, and so I'd have to sneak out to see it during the day sometime when she's in school....  need to check for daytime showings.  After all the good reviews, here and lots of other places, it might just be the first time I go to a movie theatre in seven years.

Waiting for DVD rental would work too, I suppose.  But some movies, a very few, are just so much better on a big screen.  Depending on the SFX, this might be one of them.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
We're going to see it next week; the Boy is driving us into San Fransisco to see it on an IMAX screen. I can't wait. I've been a Trek fan since I was 11...that's a whole lotta years to have a crush on Spock ;)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Thumper said:
We're going to see it next week; the Boy is driving us into San Fransisco to see it on an IMAX screen. I can't wait. I've been a Trek fan since I was 11...that's a whole lotta years to have a crush on Spock ;)
It's got to be fabulous in IMAX. I've only seen one IMAX movie (a Potter movie, of course), and I was so surprised at the detail and the colors and the sound.

Does anyone think the movie might be appropriate for an 11 year old boy who has never seen any Star Trek at all? If not, then I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Does anyone think the movie might be appropriate for an 11 year old boy who has never seen any Star Trek at all? If not, then I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD.
After previewing the movie for our kids last night, ;D, we are taking our 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter today. I'll stay home with the 7 year old a watch "Hotel for Dogs" or something like that. It was intense, there was a make-out scene that DH will cover the kiddos eyes (they're used to this type of behavior - we did it for Ironman too), a torture scene - so beware.

I know DS will love it! But he's a huge Star Wars and LOTR fan. I would think the 11 year old will enjoy it. There's lots of spaceships, fighting, etc. And the story is easy to understand too. I'm not a Star Trek fan and loved this movie! DH who is a Trekkie loved it too!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
KindleMom said:
After previewing the movie for our kids last night, ;D, we are taking our 10 year old son and 12 year old daughter today. I'll stay home with the 7 year old a watch "Hotel for Dogs" or something like that. It was intense, there was a make-out scene that DH will cover the kiddos eyes (they're used to this type of behavior - we did it for Ironman too), a torture scene - so beware.

I know DS will love it! But he's a huge Star Wars and LOTR fan. I would think the 11 year old will enjoy it. There's lots of spaceships, fighting, etc. And the story is easy to understand too. I'm not a Star Trek fan and loved this movie! DH who is a Trekkie loved it too!
Thanks, KM. He's as the point where make-out scenes make him go ICK and I think he'll dive under the chair with the torture scene. I'd better wait for the DVD.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Leonard Nimoy was on Jimmy Fallon show last night with the "new Spock" actor. Pretty fun to see them together.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
The story Zach Quinto tells is that when he first met Leonard Nimoy they were on an elevator to an event.  He didn't say much but, when they got to the floor he got out, turned and looked at Zach and said "You have no idea what you've in for". . .or something along those lines.  I gather they later became pretty good friends.  Nimoy is in the movie as well.  . . .

Ann

·
Registered
701 Posts
I was online to get tickets for a Friday showing when I saw they had a Thursday showing with tickets still available so we went to a Thursday showing. It was great because there was less than 30 people (except from one guy who felt his mission in life was to yell out any and all comments towards the screen...husband finally shushed him and he gained control of himself).

We grew up with Trek and saw all the movies in the theater.

I loved it and thought it was a wonderful breath of fresh air into Trek. If you accept that it is an alternate time line, then you will be fine.

Now, we plan to go see it at the Udvar-Hazy IMAX over at the air space museum. The only downside is no food or drink allowed in but we will survive.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
ravenclawprefect said:

Now, we plan to go see it at the Udvar-Hazy IMAX over at the air space museum. The only downside is no food or drink allowed in but we will survive.

When is it showing there? That would be fun to go to!

Ann

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
When is it showing there? That would be fun to go to!
At the Chantilly Air Space, it shows three times a day, 4:45p, 7:15p and 9:45p I checked and they are sold out for the weekend already. At the Air Space downtown, Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonians will start on the 22nd. I am kinda surprised Star Trek is not being shown at the downtown Air Space.

If you do come up this way, parking has jumped to $15 but it is supposed to be free after 4:30 pm.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Cool!  Are the showings free?  Can't imagine they are. . . . .I'll go check the SI website. . . . .

Hey, I'm a member. . . maybe there's a discount!  :D

Ann

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nope, all IMAX shows are at a price. It is $12.50 for non-members, $10.50 for members for feature films. The regular IMAX shows are $8.50 non-member/$6.50 member. We are members too.

That is not a bad price for IMAX when it is $11 at a regular theater.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
It's a really good price!  The key is to fill up the car so the parking cost is amortized.  :D

Do you know (sorry folks, this is a little off topic but I'll get back on in a sec) can a member buy tickets for non members?  I see you have to buy them there or by phone rather than on line.

Ann

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
It's a really good price! The key is to fill up the car so the parking cost is amortized. :D

Do you know (sorry folks, this is a little off topic but I'll get back on in a sec) can a member buy tickets for non members? I see you have to buy them there or by phone rather than on line.

Ann
As far as I know, you can. I know we have 9 people on our membership but that is because we actually have 9 people in the house. I don't think they ask to be sure all are members when we buy tickets.

So, back on topic.....I read a load of ST books, would like to find a few favorite to put on the Kindle and wow, did I mention how awesome the movie is??

1 - 20 of 108 Posts