Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Anotherdreamer said:
Like I stated above, I'm new to this. I have a couple of concerns. One, are my posts too short? Two, I uploaded the RSS feed to Amazon, but my blog is no where to be found.

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6604148.Donna_Augustine/blog

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Amazon updates SLOWLY. (Like I've had them take a week.)

Blog posts, as a general rule, tend to work best when kept under 1000 words. There are exceptions, such as when the subject matter you routinely post is in-depth. But as a general rule people do not like to read past 1000 words in a single article.

A blog post only needs to be as long as is necessary. Sometimes a two line update is all you need to get your point across. If you don't NEED the extra and are just padding for length, stop.

I find a comfortable range for most things tend to be between 300 and 700 words. Again, your subject matter will modify this to some extent.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Lady_O said:
What you need to build audience is not length but pertinence and regularity. Then it builds up.
I have a 10 day rule. New content every ten days at a minimum. That keeps a site looking current.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As long as you post often, the length of your postings won't matter. Make sure you keep your blog updated. Try to publish at least one posting a week. If you can -- write two or three postings in a day and have them scheduled to post. Many webmasters that build blogs , preplan 30 days of postings for those "just in cases"  

Don't forget social media stuff as well. Twitter, Pinterest and Facebooks are the best ways to make your blog amazing quicker than ever.
And don't forget to build a mailing list . Mail chimp is free. :)

Good luck with your blog.. I'm sure it will be amazing.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Spend some time at these two sites:
problogger.net
copyblogger.com
You'll learn a lot and be ahead of 90% of the blogging market.
Just don't decide that blogging is more lucrative than novels (those bloggers all look over the fence and want to be here "that's where the big money is"). Greenery.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to shoot for around once a week. It is good to know that length isn't as important as regularity. I need to work on social outlets. I'm the worst with those! I'm definitely not looking to go blogger full time, just as an add on to the novels. I need to figure out a mailing list too! I'm way behind on the business end of things!

You guys are all so helpful! Thank you very much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts