Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I received a Kindle WiFi ($139 version) for Father's Day. So far I am enjoying it, but I have a question about wifi.

How does the the last page read get stored? Each time I turn off my Kindle does my last page read info get stored locally or is it uploaded to Amazon each and every time?  If I am reading outside of wifi range I would not want to lose my last page read information. Thank you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
One suggestion, I have found that it's best to press the "home" key before turning it off when you are done reading. And by turning off, I mean putting it to sleep.

The last page read is stored locally. That data is also sync'ed to amazon when network connectivity is present.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have the WiFi version, which I like, and when I'm reading I normally have WiFi turned off to save battery. The last page read must be stored in the Kindle because it always remembers.

When you go to the menu and tell your Kindle to synch--with another Kindle--that's when, it seems, the last page read info is sent to Amazon and then your second Kindle can pick it up.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I only have the wifi on when I'm downloading books.  I also don't go back to the home page at the end of reading sessions, and usually just let the kindle go to sleep when it's ready.  But I'm not reading on multiple devices, so only my Kindle needs to know the last page read.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your last place read will always be stored locally on your device, so it's good to leave WiFi off if you're not using it at the moment to conserve battery life. As for syncing with other devices.. In my experience, the Last Page Read is sent to Amazon Whispernet when you're connected to WiFi and when you're done reading for the session and you press the home key and exit out of the book you're reading. It also syncs automatically when you put it to sleep, goes to sleep automatically, or specifically tell it to from the menu and you're connected via WiFi. It also syncs automatically when you turn WiFi on.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I do keep wireless on pretty much all the time (wifi if I'm home and it is connected to my network, otherwise 3G) because I have a blog or two and there are downloads throughout the day/night.  Of course I could turn it off and the downloads would happen once I turn on whispernet but I like to flip to my blog and see the latest (NY Times Latest News Blog).

But the only time you'd care to have your last page "known" globally is if you are synching and reading the same book on multiple devices.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I like my Kindle WiFi, but I was thinking of returning it for the WiFi/3G version.

What do you guys think of getting the 3G version to check email on the road? (Assuming you don't own a smartphone.)

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
higgledy said:
Thanks everyone. I like my Kindle WiFi, but I was thinking of returning it for the WiFi/3G version.

What do you guys think of getting the 3G version to check email on the road? (Assuming you don't own a smartphone.)
I've used the kindle to get to my email when stuck in an airport where my phone didn't work - and it works in a pinch but it's fairly clunky moving about on the web with just the little 5-way controller.

·
Registered
904 Posts
The only reasons I would have for the 3G model would be the checking of email when necessary and maybe playing Zork on the go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts