Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm really glad I found this board.  So I couldn't stand the idea of jumping on the wait list at this point (8-10weeks), so I bit the bullet and searched Ebay for a Kindle.  I ended up winning an unopened refurb for $375 from a very highly regarded seller (for what that's worth).  The $375 stings a little, but it will be completely worth it if my kindle arrives in awesome condition 48 hours from now.  I just wanted to know if there is anyone else who has purchased a refurb, and if they are satisfied with it.  Were you able to notice anything about the unit that would make it feel used (I know I'm a little picky)?  This is probably just me being worried, but I spent a lot of money and would like to know if I made a good decision.  Also if anyone has had any experiences with Kindle purchases from Ebay...  Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any kind of help you guys can give me...

G

·
We have several members who purchased refurb Kindles from Amazon. They report being unable to tell them from brand new. Not sure if anyone else purchased from an eBayer. Hope you end up with a good experience.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I am one of the folks who ordered a refurb from Amazon. I've never seen a brand new Kindle, but mine looks new. :) I've had it for about a month now and I haven't had any problems with the device. All problems have been me.  ;D I'm really happy with my purchase. I'm even thinking about getting one for my mother-in-law.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have had a refurb for three weeks now.  Like you I did not want to wait for a new one.  Mine looked brand new, and works great.  Actually, the first one they sent to me the Whispernet did not work, but they sent me a new one to take it's place and that one has worked fine.  I love mine, and I'm sure you will enjoy yours.  If the e-bay person is reputable, and it sounds like he/she is, you will be a happy camper.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I bought a  refurb from Amazon to give as a gift and it looked brand new.

Someone posted here yesterday that she got a used Kindle -- not sure where she bought it from. Apparently it looked a little grubby and people were giving suggestions on how to clean it. That's the first I've heard about a used-looking Kindle.

L

G

·
Yep, that was the only one that I know of that's ever had a problem with a used Kindle.  I don't know for sure but I suspect it came from a 3rd party and not Amazon. 

I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Brandon12 - Welcome to the Klub...... we're happy to have you with us!!  This is a great place to hang out, have fun, and learn about your Kindle.  You'll be able to tell from the discussions that we all love our Kindles and wouldn't give them up for anything.  Since Leslie is modest.... I always tell new owners that, if they are interested, Leslie has a great book on Amazon for $1.59 called the Amazon Kindle FAQ book that is excellent for any Kindle questions.  I went back to my copy yesterday because I couldn't remember info on the bookmark feature.  Also, there are free books available on Amazon right now that you can order for your Kindle.  There are great discussions in the Book Corner here on both free books and bargain books.  Prices seem to go up and down a lot at Amazon so we're learning to buy a book if it's at a really decent price and it's something we want.  Also, there's info on websites like feedbooks.com and manybooks.com that have free books available for the Kindle...... mostly classics that are in the public domain now.  Make sure you go to the Welcome/Intro discussion and introduce yourself.... it's a great group!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brandon12,

I ordered a Kindle from eBay on Sunday night (maybe from the same seller?) and received it today. It is in brand new condition and I couldn't be happier with it.

I've already downloaded about 10 books and numerous samples!

I am loving it!!!

Hopefully, your experience with eBay will be just as good!

Kirstyn

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Leslie said:
I bought a refurb from Amazon to give as a gift and it looked brand new.

Someone posted here yesterday that she got a used Kindle -- not sure where she bought it from. Apparently it looked a little grubby and people were giving suggestions on how to clean it. That's the first I've heard about a used-looking Kindle.

L
I think she said she was given a used one...whether or not the giver bought it new or used, she never mentioned that.

Glad to have you aboard Brandon...lots of great info here :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
We have several members who purchased refurb Kindles from Amazon. They report being unable to tell them from brand new. Not sure if anyone else purchased from an eBayer. Hope you end up with a good experience.
Refurbs are identical to new, in looks and packaging, other than a pink sticker on the shrinkwrap (which should have the Amazon sticker on it, also). Accessories (cover, etc) are brand new. The charger and unit itself should look brand new.

The firmware may be any version (we got one at 1.04 ... it had two keys that did not work, so Amazon overnighted a replacement that had 1.1.1 and is perfect).

You get the same warranty on a refurb or used Kindle as a new unit, except it starts from the date the original buyer purchased it from Amazon.

·
Registered
869 Posts
LuvzWDW said:
Brandon12,

I ordered a Kindle from eBay on Sunday night (maybe from the same seller?) and received it today. It is in brand new condition and I couldn't be happier with it.

I've already downloaded about 10 books and numerous samples!

I am loving it!!!

Hopefully, your experience with eBay will be just as good!

Kirstyn
Kirstyn,

What great news!

Such a happy way to start 2009!

Happy Kindling,

Marci

·
Registered
249 Posts
brandon12 said:
Hey all, I'm really glad I found this board. So I couldn't stand the idea of jumping on the wait list at this point (8-10weeks), so I bit the bullet and searched Ebay for a Kindle. I ended up winning an unopened refurb for $375 from a very highly regarded seller (for what that's worth). The $375 stings a little, but it will be completely worth it if my kindle arrives in awesome condition 48 hours from now. I just wanted to know if there is anyone else who has purchased a refurb, and if they are satisfied with it. Were you able to notice anything about the unit that would make it feel used (I know I'm a little picky)? This is probably just me being worried, but I spent a lot of money and would like to know if I made a good decision. Also if anyone has had any experiences with Kindle purchases from Ebay... Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any kind of help you guys can give me...
How can it be an "unopened refurb"? Wouldn't some one have to open it and use it to know that it had to be refurbed?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think the important thing is that the refurbs have the same warranty as 'new' ones. And since Amazon has awesome customer support, if you have a problem with your refurb, you'll get treated just as well as you would if you'd bought a non-refurb.

Enjoy your Kindle, and welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
463 Posts
tecwritr said:
How can it be an "unopened refurb"? Wouldn't some one have to open it and use it to know that it had to be refurbed?
No, the unit was obviously purchased from Amazon as a refurbished unit and has not been opened after receiving it from Amazon. When you get a refurb from Amazon, they are shrink wrapped and have the Amazon part number sticker on them just like new ones. In addition, there is a huge pink "dot" (about 2" across) that apparently marks it as a refurb (it wasn't on my new unit last year, was on both refurbs last month) and a green dot (tiny, about 1/8") that probably means it was checked out and works.

Inside the box, there is nothing that would tip you off that the unit was a refurb. Books and cover are covered in tissue paper and everything is packed just like a new unit, even with the protective stick on plastic over the Kindle's screen. Turn it on and it starts up exactly like a brand new unit, in the user's guide. There is no left over content or information from a previous owner on a refurb.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Yes, that was our experience with the refurb that we got for my wife. We cannot tell hers apart from my new one, and could not tell the packaging apart, either, except for the circular sticker on the refurb box.

Tip: if anyone's looking for a refurb, the best way to nail one is to sign up to be automatically alerted by KindleBoards when the next batch of refurbs becomes available. You can do that through this link: http://www.kboards.com/refurb-alert.php

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I bought one from an almost 100% pos feedback seller. The add said "new unopened and unregistered" not a refurb. I received it Friday and it was sealed and new. I fired it up and it froze. I reset it and it froze several more times. I was able to use it for a short while but it kept on freezing up. I gave it a full day and the next day I thought....well, I have a one year warranty as the sellers add stated so I called Amazon. They were very nice but they told me my Kindle was one week out of warranty....they go by the date it was delivered to the person who originally purchased it, not the date I bought it. They also told me that according to the serial number, it was a refurb. Boy did I get screwed. To all of you who bought one off Ebay and think you have a one year warranty or a brand new unit, think again.
ZZ

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome ZZtopp and congrats on your first post. Please go to The Intro/Welcome Board and make an introduction. There are some friendly people here that will want to welcome you.

I am sorry to hear about your Kindle. Have you contacted eBay since the information the seller gave was not the truth? I have not dealt with eBay much but maybe you can get your money back, is that an option?

Linda

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Linda, After getting the disappointing info from Amazon, I contacted the seller and he gave me the option of a replacement or a refund. I shipped the unit back to him yesterday and will wait fir a refund. I have placed my order for a new Kindle with Amazon. Live and learn. As long as I get the refund, I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt. He might not have known it was a refurb as only Amazon can tell by the serial number. He may also not know about the warranty. I sent this post to warn others that don't want to wait for the Kindle from Amazon and resort to Ebay...it's risky.
ZZ

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
zztopp said:
Hi Linda, After getting the disappointing info from Amazon, I contacted the seller and he gave me the option of a replacement or a refund. I shipped the unit back to him yesterday and will wait fir a refund. I have placed my order for a new Kindle with Amazon. Live and learn. As long as I get the refund, I will give the seller the benefit of the doubt. He might not have known it was a refurb as only Amazon can tell by the serial number. He may also not know about the warranty. I sent this post to warn others that don't want to wait for the Kindle from Amazon and resort to Ebay...it's risky.
ZZ
What a relief ZZ, I felt so bad for you! I am addicted to my Kindle and can't imagine a day without it. Thanks for the eBay Buyer Beware post.

Now you can post in Waiting On My Kindle thread too. ;) Keep us posted on the big delivery.
Linda

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I thought the warrenty on a refurb was one year from the date of purchase. So if the unit was a refurb and was a week out of warrenty then it was a refurb that the seller held on to for a long time.

Maybe I am wrong about the refurb warrenty.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts