Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Feel free.  ;D ;D

You can get darker text with one of the alternate fonts that can be installed. There's a thread around here about them. I installed them on my K2 and am very satisfied with the text darkness now.

Mike

·
Registered
257 Posts
tashab said:
I was just wondering, with all this talk of darker text on the DX, if maybe we could possibly hope for an update on the K2?
Feel free to hope, but don't hold your breath.

I'm still waiting for folders on my K1... THAT would be as simple as rolling out an update, too. Alas, we're still waiting (and I don't buy all that bollocks about it being hard to implement folders in the firmware. It's NOT hard).

Since there's an easy fix for the fonts, it makes relying on Amazon a bit of a moot point.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jmiked said:
Feel free. ;D ;D

You can get darker text with one of the alternate fonts that can be installed. There's a thread around here about them. I installed them on my K2 and am very satisfied with the text darkness now.

Mike
I'd really rather not, it's not a huge issue. Thanks, though. I was just using it as an example of all the things we keep asking for (along with folders).

·
Registered
776 Posts
I sent an email to the Kindle feedback address asking the same thing.  People are raving about the great screen on the DX, and I asked them to update the K2 (especially since Tedsan has already found a way to do it)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
tashab said:
I'd really rather not, it's not a huge issue. Thanks, though. I was just using it as an example of all the things we keep asking for (along with folders).
I'm kinda with you. Although I would love darker txt,lighter screen, just better overall contrast I don't necessarily want to do the font hack. I don't absolutely need to right now so I want to hold off and see if amazon does anything about this issue. I think the hacks great and I'm happy for all the people that used it and love it.

I did do the screensaver hack so I'm not against hacks. I just wish on certain issues amazon would step it up.

In the meantime I am glad other people did get a resolution for the contrast issue.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
koolmnbv said:
I'm kinda with you. Although I would love darker txt,lighter screen, just better overall contrast I don't necessarily want to do the font hack. I don't absolutely need to right now so I want to hold off and see if amazon does anything about this issue. I think the hacks great and I'm happy for all the people that used it and love it.

I did do the screensaver hack so I'm not against hacks. I just wish on certain issues amazon would step it up.

In the meantime I am glad other people did get a resolution for the contrast issue.
I love the georgia2 font hack, did it even though I never had contrast issues on my k2. If/when it comes out for the DX, I'm there.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Forster said:
I love the georgia2 font hack, did it even though I never had contrast issues on my k2. If/when it comes out for the DX, I'm there.
Everytime I read another person that loved this hack it pushes me 1 step closer into giving in and trying it. So many people have such good things to say about it. It seems so far not one person has been let down or disappointed by it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'd like to try a hack too, but I'm kinda scared that I'll mess up the Kindle.  I did have the custom screensavers on my KK, so I don't know why I'm nervous but I just can't seem to get up the nerve. 

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
If you're afraid of 'hacking' your Kindle, maybe instead, you could just install the font enhancement.  :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
The K2 is still quite recent, and I wouldn't completely give up hope on an update. I think they'll be slower to do it, but it's entirely possible.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Maybe Amazon need a kick up the backside.

What was included in previous updates? I'm guessing stability improvements and a lot of stuff they don't tell you about? How about in the way of new features, anything of that sort?

I haven't been over to the Amazon forums. How much of a fuss are Kindle users making about software updates for folders/tags, fonts, etc? And have Amazon ever responded to these comments/requests?

·
Registered
75 Posts
reemixx said:
Maybe Amazon need a kick up the backside.

What was included in previous updates? I'm guessing stability improvements and a lot of stuff they don't tell you about? How about in the way of new features, anything of that sort?

I haven't been over to the Amazon forums. How much of a fuss are Kindle users making about software updates for folders/tags, fonts, etc? And have Amazon ever responded to these comments/requests?
Hah! We have a font discussion over there with almost 1000 entries and not a single word from Amazon in reply!

I did come across a comment on someone's blog from the product manager of the Kindle. Without saying it outright, he indicated that Amazon doesn't discourage people hacking the Kindle.

For those worried, the font enhancements are no riskier than the custom screen saver. It doesn't modify the Kindle code, it simply installs the font files. Uninstalling is quick and easy as well. The only problems people have had occurred when people accidentally selected "restart" rather than "update your kindle". And then, it's just a matter of following steps to get things working again. Nobody has bricked their Kindle doing the font enhancement :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
thanks, tedsan, I think I'm gonna try it.  Which font would you recommend as being closest to the K1?  I was always very happy with that.  And thank you for providing options to us - its really appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
vg said:
thanks, tedsan, I think I'm gonna try it. Which font would you recommend as being closest to the K1? I was always very happy with that. And thank you for providing options to us - its really appreciated.
Actually, all the Kindles use the identical fonts. Not to say that they look identical, but under the hood, they are the same. The screen display varies however.

From the feedback I've received, Georgia2 is the most popular, serif font. The sans-serif fonts, like Arial Round and Helvetica are also very popular.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
tashab said:
I am eating my words. I installed the arial round font from Ted san and I love love love it. thanks everyone for the encouragement!
So happy you are enjoying Ted's fonts. You too, vg! They are fantastic and so simple to install and uninstall.

BTW, I am the one who accidentally hit 'restart' instead of 'update'. It was a scary few minutes but I learned a lesson! No problems at all since then.

·
Registered
75 Posts
DD said:
So happy you are enjoying Ted's fonts. You too, vg! They are fantastic and so simple to install and uninstall.

BTW, I am the one who accidentally hit 'restart' instead of 'update'. It was a scary few minutes but I learned a lesson! No problems at all since then.
Trust me, you weren't the only one! I did it myself a couple weeks ago!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts