Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Melanie Nowak and I am the author of a Vampire fantasy series called ALMOST HUMAN.

There are 4 books currently available for the series on Kindle & Paperback through Amazon, and in eBook at the eBookMall.

ALMOST HUMAN is a fantasy that puts a venomous new twist on the classical vampire. The series is very character oriented/emotional, but also includes some action, humor, romance and dark fantasy elements. I've planned AH to be a succession of trilogies. So the 1st trilogy has 1 main story line that spans all 3 books - they aren't meant to be stand alone.

The 1st trilogy focuses on the relationship between the vampire Cain and the young human girl, Felicity. Chapters alternate point of view between these 2 characters, so you really get to know them both and understand their very different perspectives. The series has a rich supporting cast as well, that lend an "ensemble" feel to the story.

I LOVE to create well rounded, evolving characters. The series is adult and contains romantic scenes which are graphic as the relationship progresses, but are NOT gratuitous. Also, along with the light and fun side of the story and the bloom of first love, I also explore some ideas of spirituality, addiction, and morality that are for more mature readers.

Kindle gives a very generous samples - I hope you'll check it out and see if my venomous vampires are your brand of poison ;)

Almost Human ~ The First Trilogy ~ 3-in-1 Edition​

Volume 1: Fatal Infatuation Volume 2: Lost Reflections Volume 3: Evolving Ecstasy​

ALMOST HUMAN ~ The Second Trilogy ~ Volume 1​
Born to Blood​

Thanks for your consideration - I hope you enjoy the books!​
~ Melanie Nowak

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well..........I'm sure you have to be real pleased to have your works published, I am sure it is a tuff market to get into.
Wish you all the best on your books and I'll get back to you when I have finished reading one.

All the best & Grats !!  Brian

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dngtrumps -

I'm so glad you enjoyed the series! I've planned ALMOST HUMAN to be a succession of trilogies. I'm currently writing Volume:4 BORN TO BLOOD. The second trilogy will have a different focus to the story, but I really love my characters and they will all return for the next book.

Thanks so much for giving the series a thumbs up :)

~ Melanie

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Melanie,

I bought the trilogy and have it on my TBR list (which is admittedly huge). I will now bump it up since you have come in and renewed my interest in getting started!

Thanks for giving us a peek into the series.

EllenR

·
Registered
545 Posts
WoodWitchDame said:
Thanks Ellen!
When you do get to it, I hope you'll come back and share your thoughts!
Happy reading! ~ Melanie
I will. I bumped it to the top of the heap since I just finished a book last night. I started in today. I remember now that I read the sample and liked it quite a bit.

Ellen

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
How do you think this will compare to the other vampire series

·
Registered
361 Posts
I read the trilogy & can't wait for the next book!! I was surprised by the ending-I don't know if I was supposed to laugh but I did, because it was sooo not what I expected! (Bernard)
Great job, Melanie-bring on book 4!! :)
Kristie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Cheerio! To be perfectly honest - I personally haven't read other vamp series because I didn't even know there were any (other than Anne Rice) until after I started writing my own. Then I decided I wouldn't read others because I didn't want to influence my own writing (even sub-conciously). The Anne Rice books, & the television show "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" are some of my favorites though.

If you go by other readers, many reviews say ALMOST HUMAN is like a "Twilight" for mature audiences. Reviewers have also written that if you like "Sookie Stackhouse" & "Vampire Academy" you'll probably enjoy my series. I have also been told though that my series is very unique in that it blends a fun 'ensemble' feel and the bloom of first love along with a more mature perspective and some deeper more intellectual contemplations.

There are many reviews on the series if you want to read more of what other have said. The reviews are spread over all the different books and version (I'm still waiting for Amazon to merge the Kindle & paperback pages) so here is the main list, and you can click the # of reviews next to each book:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Melanie+Nowak+almost+human+&x=12&y=13

Kristie -

I'm so glad to hear you liked the series!!! I'm glad you liked the end, and yes, I thought it was kind of funny too :) I am having great fun writing book 4: Born to Blood. It's going to take a while because books 4, 5 & 6 (they go together as another trilogy) have a pretty intricate storyline and I want to take my time and give it the attention to detail it deserves. I'm hoping to have book 4 done by the end of this year.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment on the series - as an independently published author, my only representation is word of mouth through readers. I greatly appreciate comments and am very grateful for reviews from readers like you!

Thanks ~ Melanie

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello all! I just wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful support and Amazon reviews that the trilogy has been getting! I'm so glad readers are enjoying it!
Hi also wanted to let everyone know that I'm currently working on the second trilogy for the ALMOST HUMAN series. The 2nd trilogy's "Volume 1: Born to Blood" will hopefully be released by the end of this year!

The Second Trilogy in the ALMOST HUMAN series includes all of our beloved characters from the the first books, and picks up where we left off, but I'm writing this trilogy to be "stand-alone", meaning that you don't NEED to have read the first books to enjoy it.

Anyone interested in reading a sneak peek excerpt from "Born to Blood" can check out the facebook discussion group page for the series at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=88000657954#/group.php?gid=88000657954

Thanks for reading!

~ Melanie Nowak

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Ha!  Hiya, Mel! Nice to see you on Kindleboards! There are some really nice people here...lots of fun, full o' beans, interesting, and polite! I love it!

'Archer'

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hey Melanie!  Good to see you here.  I was just thinking about your series the other day; wondering what Cain and Felicity are up to  ;D.  I'm gonna have to break down and get the other two one of these days . . . .
-Jenna

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Archer, hi Jenna!

So nice to hear from old friends :)
I'm not nearly able to keep up with all the sites as I'd like, between still recovering from my illness and writing "Born to Blood", but I'm trying to keep things going where I can. Thanks for stopping by to say hi!

Jenna, I'm glad you enjoyed "Fatal Infatuation". I hope you will be able to read the other 2 books of the trilogy - to be perfectly honest, I think they get better as they go, and as I grew as a writer.

Hopefully they'll be coming out in bookstores next month. Wish me luck! And best of luck to both of you with your books as well :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No connection to anything else.
I never even knew there was a show called Almost Human. I wanted a unique title & researched before using it, and I only came up with an old Euro Crime Film and a Kiss song with the same title. Never found a TV show. Was that the actual title of the show? I hope it wasn't about vampires!

~ Melanie

·
Registered
127 Posts
WoodWitchDame said:
No connection to anything else.
I never even knew there was a show called Almost Human. I wanted a unique title & researched before using it, and I only came up with an old Euro Crime Film and a Kiss song with the same title. Never found a TV show. Was that the actual title of the show? I hope it wasn't about vampires!

~ Melanie
Sorry, my mistake, the TV show is called Being Human. But, its about a Vampire, ghost and werewolf.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.