Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a new, improved version of the K2 screensaver hack available at the Mobileread forum:

"You no longer have to create the system/screen_saver directory yourself: after you have "updated" the K2 with the hack, when the K2 boots, it checks to see if the screen_saver directory is there and if not, it creates it and copies the default screen saver images to it. This way you can then plug your K2 in, browse to the directory and remove the default images (or keep some or all, it's up to you) and add your own and reset the kindle.

Also on boot, if the screen_saver directory is there, then it will check it for any troublesome files like Windows' thumbs.db and Mac OS's dot-underscore files and remove them automatically. So no more messing around with the command line for the Mac folks trying to get rid of blank screens.

Finally, an FYI: if you already have v0.3 (or v0.2 or v0.1) installed, you don't have to remove it to install v0.4. Just go ahead and use the new bin and update directly. (This has always been the case, but I don't know if it was mentioned or not.)"

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=400528&postcount=150

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Christina said:
This way you can then plug your K2 in, browse to the directory and remove the default images (or keep some or all, it's up to you) and add your own and reset the kindle.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=400528&postcount=150
Wait a minute...with the newer version we can pick and choose from the default screensavers too? You're kidding! There were a few I liked...Off to go play...

·
Registered
392 Posts
WOW! Nice update!

·
Registered
737 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Wait a minute...with the newer version we can pick and choose from the default screensavers too? You're kidding! There were a few I liked...Off to go play...
I thought you were babysitting a squadron of little tikes? Did you lock them in the basement?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Got it - it works fine, but to get the built-in screensavers I think you have to start from scratch as it didn't add them to my currently loaded ss's.

·
Registered
737 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I have lots of duct tape...

Just kidding.

They all went home. Luckily it was only a few hours and they were all old enough to play on their own (between 6-14) Just the thought of 7 of them though...
Between 6 and 14 and no trips to the emergency room? Kid today just don't know how to play. ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,356 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
DON'T SAY THAT! (knocking on every piece of wood around)... They're about to give me own parking spot there! (Horseback rider, 2 competitive gymnasts, and a high-energy/no fear boy)
There was one summer where my mother swore she was at the Emergency room every week with one or the other of us. There were 5 of us. . .4 boys and me. She said by July the nurses would see her come in and just say, "Which one this time, Pat?"

Ann

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
There were 5 of us. . .4 boys and me.
Ann
Really, we were 4 boys and one girl also. Everyone loved it but my parents and my sister. And maybe my little brothers had it rough sometimes. But as oldest boy, it was great for me. ;)

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I've got three girls and one boy. He's the youngest. I tell people if he had been born first he'd be an only child. I can't imagine having three more of him.

I need to get some pictures of them all converted into screensavers. That was one reason why I was looking forward to the K2, the 16-grey scale makes pictures so crisp. I still need to go in and try this new version. I'll probably uninstall and remove the folder to see if I can't get back the default ones.. Probably tomorrow though.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
It worked! I have both mine and selected default screensavers on my Kindle! YAY!!!

I'm running out, but I'll try to get on and tell you how I did it and do up a new summary because this one is even easier ;D

Even if you don't want to add your own, but just delete the ones you don't like, this will work. No more Oscar!!!!!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
So easy a caveman can do it?  ???

Being that I am  techno challengled at times, I have been hesitant to try but would like to have a few family pics as screensavers. I guess in between basketball games this weekend I will give it a try.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
So easy a caveman can do it. I've got the summarized easy to understand directions foe this version typed up and will post it when I get home.

I uninstalled everything and redid it all. It works. No more Oscar Wilde on my Kindle. It is reversable so if you decide you miss him you can get him back.

·
Registered
723 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
So easy a caveman can do it. I've got the summarized easy to understand directions foe this version typed up and will post it when I get home.

I uninstalled everything and redid it all. It works. No more Oscar Wilde on my Kindle. It is reversable so if you decide you miss him you can get him back.
Miss Oscar and a dozen of the others?

NOT likely!

Eric

·
Registered
737 Posts
Luv,

Future Amazon updates will still require an uninstall of screensaver hack, installation of Amazon update and reinstallation of screensave hack.  Correct?

·
Registered
723 Posts
luvmy4brats said:

Hi Luv!

Did you ever post these updated instructions?
I can't seem to locate them.

Eric (ELDogStar)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks y'all!  I used this hack for my K2 through my Mac and it worked beautifully!  Took me 5 minutes.  Cheers!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts