Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm wanting an iPhone but my carrier is Verizon and they don't carry it.  I really don't want to switch carriers, I've been with Verizon forever.  Best they have now is the blackberry storm, touch screen.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I told my daughter I'd check out the breaking news about the new iPhone, and I got busy and forgot. Thanks for reminding me.  I have an iPhone that was given to me as a gift about 16 months ago, and I'm really wanting to upgrade it. Currently, I have a 16 GB, and I love it. I'm sure I'll have to trade up. The prices are better on the new ones than I thought they'd be.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Bigger question is when will AT&T have it up, because they will be the one dealing with people upgrading. I'm not sure if I'll upgrade. I won't if it's basically the same but offered in 32 gig. I don't need 32 gig on my phone. I have the 16 gig that still has 6 gigs free and the 160 gig ipod classic that I use to watch videos on the big screen. They are going to have to offer me a significant upgrade in hardware to tempt me.

I'm more excited about the new OS coming out.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Rasputina, is the one that you now have a 3G? I'd like to be able to use the 3G network rather than Edge. I don't think I'll need a 36 GB one, either. My 16 GB is fine as it is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I saw that! I'm super excited ... I think I might ask for one for my birthday :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
kevin63 said:
I'm wanting an iPhone but my carrier is Verizon and they don't carry it. I really don't want to switch carriers, I've been with Verizon forever. Best they have now is the blackberry storm, touch screen.
I agree, and you can't beat Verizon's coverage, also I've only heard bad things about AT&T. So I've been looking at an Ipod Touch. Apparently it can do every thing the phone can do except make calls. Everyone I know that has the phone, says "hate the phone love the toy" So if all you want is the toy, the touch seems like the answer to me. They complain all the time about missed calls, dropped calls, messages that came 4 hrs. later etc....

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
My 8 gig original iPhone is limping along with a couple of odd bugs that the Geniuses at Apple can't figure out.  It's out of warranty, and I've basically just been trying to stretch it out a little longer until the new one hit the market, but like Rasputina, this upgrade isn't all that tempting to me.  Even with the switch from Edge to 3G.  If mine wasn't acting up, I wouldn't even consider it, I'd hold out for the next one.

And I've had AT&T/Cingular/AT&T for 9 years running, no issues with either the phones or the service I've gotten.  The old iPhones weren't the greatest cell phones ever made, but once we added bluetooth headsets, we stopped having quality issues with the calls.  And we're not on 3G, which I've heard locally improved things.

I wonder if other parts of the network aren't as good?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I have great phone service but I do think it probably depends on your area. I only went to AT&T because of the iphone but I haven't been disappointed. My daughter has a touch. The additional differences are the built in GPS, the camera and that you have 24/7 internet data. On the touch you can only use wifi. The thing I love about the phone that I can't do on the touch is use the google maps and internet anywhere, I don't have to try and find a wifi network that is open. I never have to worry about getting lost, and I can find any place when I'm out and about.

Oh and I wanted to add that the rumors on the net about the new phone have been about a faster processor and adding video to the camera, didn't see any mention of that in the OP link though.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Cindy416 said:
Rasputina, is the one that you now have a 3G? I'd like to be able to use the 3G network rather than Edge. I don't think I'll need a 36 GB one, either. My 16 GB is fine as it is.
Yes, I have the 16 gig iphone 3G

·
Registered
921 Posts
bookfiend said:
I agree, and you can't beat Verizon's coverage, also I've only heard bad things about AT&T. So I've been looking at an Ipod Touch. Apparently it can do every thing the phone can do except make calls. Everyone I know that has the phone, says "hate the phone love the toy" So if all you want is the toy, the touch seems like the answer to me. They complain all the time about missed calls, dropped calls, messages that came 4 hrs. later etc....
That does sound like a good option for me. I have an Ipod already so I can just upgrade to the Ipod touch and then keep my Verizon cell phone (and yes, I love the coverage I have with Verizon also. That's why I didn't want to switch carriers. If it is broken............)

·
Registered
75 Posts
bookfiend said:
My son has the Iphone and he loves it. Personally I don't like the shape or the weight of it...my daughter loves the toy of it so for her birthday earlier this week she got a touch. Everyone's happy.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just saw the new price, now even more people are going to be buying these ridiculous devices  :(  I think the Palm Pre looks like a much better phone.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Found this on Reuters

The new iPhone 3G S will allow Web surfing at twice the speed of today's iPhone and have a 3 megapixel camera that can record video, according to Apple

so the rumors were right. I personally don't need video camera capability for faster surfing would be a big plus. I might upgrade after all.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSTRE5575H820090608

The only way I'd go for the touch over the phone would be if I didn't even use a cell phone in any capacity. Otherwise I'd much rather have the iphone than the touch.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Sweety18 said:
Just saw the new price, now even more people are going to be buying these ridiculous devices :( I think the Palm Pre looks like a much better phone.
Palm Pre? I've not heard of that one. I have a couple of Treo's around hear but never heard of the Pre. I'll have to check it out too

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Sweety18 said:
Just saw the new price, now even more people are going to be buying these ridiculous devices :(
I'm not quite sure why the iPhone is considered to be a 'ridiculous device,' and I'm not trying to stir up a controversy, but I guess the old saying, "To each his own," applies here. In any case, I love mine, and honestly don't know anyone who has an iPhone and doesn't like it. (I love any device that lets me make/take calls, play games, take photos (videos with the new one???), keep track of my schedule, etc.) I've had a number of Palm products, and have been satisfied with them as well, but I'll stick with my iPhone for now.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I've had my iPhone since October, and my husband just got his a month or so ago..... Of all the doo-dads I own (and I own A LOT), it is by far the most useful, and it is the last thing that will be pried from my cold, dead fingers. I never thought such a multi-functional device would work as well as it does. Like the Kindle, you really can't appreciate it until you have actually used it for a while.

I wonder how much the upgrade would be through AT&T.... The faster browsing speed really appeals to me.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I think the upgrade that I priced a couple of weeks ago was $199, and that was for the 3G. The new prices are lower, proportionately, than that, so I'll be curious to find out myself. If I get any info (or if you do, pidgeon), let's share it here.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
As much as I love my Kindle, I couldn't imagine being without my iPhone. If I had to choose between the 2, the Kindle would lose..(but I could still read my Kindle books with the Kindle app). I never expected to be so darn attached to a phone.

I just got this info via twitter RE upgrading:

"iPhone 3G S is a great value. The 16 GB model is $199 and the 32 GB model will go for $299. Individual plans start as low as $69.99 per month and include unlimited data (Web access and email). Families and small businesses can add iPhone lines for $39.99 per month. Upgrade eligibility varies with each customer, but in general you will become
upgrade-eligible the further you are into your service agreement. Customers can find out at att.com or in one of our stores if they are upgrade-eligible. If you are not currently eligible for an upgrade but still want iPhone 3G S, we can offer you an early upgrade price of $399 (16 GB) and $499 (32 GB). You have a number of choices here. You can wait until you are eligible, you can pay the early-upgrade price for iPhone 3G S, or you can simply continue to use your current iPhone 3G, which is eligible for the free upgrade to the new iPhone 3.0 software."

http://ow.ly/cYJI

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have toyed with getting one but the AT&T coverage is so poor here that I can't do it. I use my mobile phone for work and if my customers can't get me then the phone is no good. It is too bad because many of the apps would help in so many other ways.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts