Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the new Washer and Dryer delivered and installed today: Work great (both front loaders).
I'm on my seventh load because we were out of commission for a short time.

Here's how the new washer and dryer are going to get me Kindlebooks:

I put a tall plastic container (with a coin slot in the lid for change); right beside the new units.
I'm going to pretend that I am doing my washing and drying at a Laundromat and each time I do clothes; I am going to pay whatever change I currently have in my change purse to do them. No change; no wash. Every time I go to a store, I am not going to give the correct change, purposely, so I can receive change back instead.
COINSTAR: AMAZON: HERE I COME!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like that idea.  ;D Now if I can get my daughter to put money in there every weekend when she comes to do her wash.  LOL

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
sjc said:
Got the new Washer and Dryer delivered and installed today: Work great (both front loaders).
I'm on my seventh load because we were out of commission for a short time.

Here's how the new washer and dryer are going to get me Kindlebooks:

I put a tall plastic container (with a coin slot in the lid for change); right beside the new units.
I'm going to pretend that I am doing my washing and drying at a Laundromat and each time I do clothes; I am going to pay whatever change I currently have in my change purse to do them. No change; no wash. Every time I go to a store, I am not going to give the correct change, purposely, so I can receive change back instead.
COINSTAR: AMAZON: HERE I COME!!!
You can also put any loose change you find in the washer/dryer in the cups!

Betsy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My daughter comes home; expects me to do her wash, and takes it back to college dirty...because I am no longer her maid.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I have heard of other people who do this: they "pay" themselves to do their laundry.

What brand of washer/dryer did you get, sjc? I had to spring for a new pair back in November. So far they are working great (front loaders for us, too).

L

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Wonderful idea!  In the meantime you have all the free books to read!

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is a really great idea!!  I usually have a ton of change after various errands and really it's not like the money would even be missed! The nearest Coinstar that does the eCerts is a little ways away.. but worth the trip! :)

Thank you for an awesome idea!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What brand of washer/dryer did you get, sjc? I had to spring for a new pair back in November. So far they are working great (front loaders for us, too).
I got the Samsung VRT Steam set: I was so torn between the Samsung and the Whirlpool. The 2 main reasons I chose the Samsung:

1. Fantastic reviews for vibration and noise for the washer.
2. The dryer had a stainless steel drum and the Whirlpool did not.

I hope that I'm not sorry afterward; I know Whirlpool has been around for years...Samsung...not so long. What name did you get and have you had any problems??

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
We got a Kenmore (Sears) which is made by Whirlpool.

I have a very small closet that the W/D has to squeeze into. We have to have stackable front loader pair and they have to be a specific measurement...which sort of limits our choices. So far so good, no problems yet.

L

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leslie: I think the whole stackable idea is such a great concept. It is so beneficial. I wish my parents would consider it...My poor mother; cancer and all, has to trot down to the basement to do laundry. They have a perfect closet for it upstairs; if my father would only bite the bullet.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a front loader, too. I wanted the largest capacity washer and dryer I could find and that's what I got. They are about 5 years old now and never had a problem with either one except when my son left a pencil in his pocket. The pencil poked a hole in the rubber gasket that seals the door of the washer. My husband was able to replace the gasket but it was pretty pricey, not near as much as a new washer though.

That's a good idea to collect your spare change like that. Someone else in another thread mentioned a similar concept except with cooking. She put her change jar in the kitchen and her family has to contribute to it in order for her to keep cooking.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wannabe:
Yikes, a pencil?  Ouch...I'll have to warn the crew.

Saving change is a great way to save.  Not the first time I've done it.  Over the years my "change" bought the kids their swing set (back when they were tots); Gas Barbecue Grill, Custom Drapes, A Family Vacation Disney World.  I have one of the tall (remember from the 70's) copycat Coke Bottles Coin Bank stands about 3 feet tall...you know the one; unless I'm dating myself.  My mom did it her whole married life; still saving her quarters!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have collected coins from my families pockets when washing for years.  It is more along the line of "finders keepers" particularly when I am doing the washing.  My son and daughter came home from college this Christmas with two weeks of laundry.  I did it once for them and then they knew where to find the washing machine.  Mine are stackable front loaders in the basement.  They were perfect in that space because  they had only a inch clearance.  Whew!!

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
My son always brings a huge bag of laundry when he comes home. I don't mind.  He does it himself; he's just happy not to have to go to a laundramat.

Ann

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The new washer and dryer are doing overtime. That being said: because the clothes don't swish around in a huge tub of water; my son thinks the front loader doesn't clean the clothes well. He keeps on saying, "Where's the water; this thing doesn't wash good." He hates the new washer...I can't convince him otherwise!! I've explained the energy saver technology and he thinks...less water...less clean.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've never gotten out of the habit of collecting change ... every few days I have to empty out my coin purse and put my change in a ceramic pot in the bedroom. Every few months I roll up the change and exchange them for bills at local stores. We don't have a coinstar machine in my area, but local merchants are happy to take rolled coins since there isn't a bank here either ... just wish I could exchange them for Kindle books :)

BTW - I bought a Miele washer/dryer set six years ago -- also front-loading -- and haven't had any problems with either of them. The only thing I should have done, and didn't, is buy the riser/stand they make to lift the washer/dryer up from the floor - it would be easier to transfer wash to the dryer if I didn't have to bend down quite so far. Water is an issue here, so I like the fact that front-load washers use less water (and less soap) and mine can spin clothes so that they don't take long at all to dry, saving on electricity too. The clothes come out just as clean, IMO. Before these I had an old pump-action agitator -- it ate holes it my towels! When our Miele dishwasher developed a problem a few months ago, a Miele technican was able to walk me through the diagnostics test over the phone - then he sent me a special tool in the mail and walked me through the repair over the phone. Saved me major $ ... the closest repair person is about 3 hours away.
Glynnis

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glynnis: Collecting your spare change is a simple and economical way to get items you wouldn't normally buy otherwise; or just to plain save. (As I've been trying to teach my kids)

Wow what customer service Miele provided. That was very kind of them to send you the proper tool and to walk you through the repair. It's funny you should mention the risers: We didn't order them because I didn't want to spend the extra money. My husband went and bought them the next day after serious consideration; he said we would regret it later if not. So I guess you have confirmed his suspicions. Thanks for the informative post; much appreciated.

·
Registered
651 Posts
sjc said:
I got the Samsung VRT Steam set: I was so torn between the Samsung and the Whirlpool. The 2 main reasons I chose the Samsung:

1. Fantastic reviews for vibration and noise for the washer.
2. The dryer had a stainless steel drum and the Whirlpool did not.

I hope that I'm not sorry afterward; I know Whirlpool has been around for years...Samsung...not so long. What name did you get and have you had any problems??

I have to buy new washer/dryer some time this year. I would like a front load/stackables. They are in the garage for me. I haven't done any reading about the steamer. How do they work? Why? I like the idea of not having wrinkles. Will the cold water wash clothes shrink with steam? Ignorant inquiring minds want to know.

Yogini2

1 - 20 of 39 Posts