Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
I read a wonderful story about a public works department in a town nearby that made a resolution at the beginning of 2008 to put a dime in a pot every time they used a colorful word.  At the end of the year they used that money to dress an angel.  I thought that was a wonderful idea to accomplish two goals. 
I can't say that I've made any such ambitious goals for the year, but I do like to try each year to change one annoying habit about myself. 
 
I

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
My life is as near perfect as I can get it.  I am happy.  It's also like spinning plate.  Change one thing, upset the balance and it will all come crashing down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
My friends and I all wrote down various New Year's Resolutions onto pieces of paper, folded them up, and put them in a box. After midnight we took turns randomly drawing one out. That's how my resolution became, "I will buy new heels this year." The one I put in said, "I will start drinking before noon at least four days a week." The only other one I can remember right now said, "I will not get engaged this year."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,848 Posts
nebulinda said:
The only other one I can remember right now said, "I will not get engaged this year."
I want that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
nebulinda said:
My friends and I all wrote down various New Year's Resolutions onto pieces of paper, folded them up, and put them in a box. After midnight we took turns randomly drawing one out. That's how my resolution became, "I will buy new heels this year." The one I put in said, "I will start drinking before noon at least four days a week." The only other one I can remember right now said, "I will not get engaged this year."
Now those are a hoot!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
"I will not get engaged this year"  is also one of my resolutions.

I prefer to set goals.  But I haven't set any yet this year.

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,163 Posts
1. manage addiction (caffeine and one-click)
2. lose weight
3. get job
4. actually finish and turn in a) fin. aide papers for college b) scholarship essays.
5. Attempt to tolerate and 'Try' not to upset hormonal mom
6. keep up good grades
7. take out the dog to go running.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
My parents had a friend who always had a new year's brunch. At the brunch, they would all write down resolutions and put them in a bag and seal it up. Then they would open the bag from the year before and read all the resolutions -- and make fun of discuss people's screw ups successes in not keeping any of them beyond February 15th meeting all of them.

My parents always purported that this was great fun, but I can't really believe they enjoyed it. Maybe everyone was well oiled enough to dull the pain of reviewing everyone's annual failures. Who knows? I wasn't there, I just heard about it. But hearing about it was enough to swear me off the resolution habit forever.

I also don't give up anything for Lent, for when that season rolls around.

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I resolve to get over this damn flu.  My wife came down with it on the 31st and it hit me on the 2nd.  36 hours of on or over the toilet.

I had the flu shot and they say if you didn't have the shot it's even worse.  If that's the case then I would be in the hospital.

It has NEVER been this bad.

I am taking fluids and eating crackers now so I think the worst is over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
tecwritr said:
I resolve to get over this damn flu. My wife came down with it on the 31st and it hit me on the 2nd. 36 hours of on or over the toilet.

I had the flu shot and they say if you didn't have the shot it's even worse. If that's the case then I would be in the hospital.

It has NEVER been this bad.

I am taking fluids and eating crackers now so I think the worst is over.
Yikes...hope you feel better soon techwritr!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
tecwritr said:
I resolve to get over this damn flu. My wife came down with it on the 31st and it hit me on the 2nd. 36 hours of on or over the toilet.

I had the flu shot and they say if you didn't have the shot it's even worse. If that's the case then I would be in the hospital.

It has NEVER been this bad.

I am taking fluids and eating crackers now so I think the worst is over.
My neighbors across the street have it. I saw him crawling out of the house to take his wife to the doctors and he gave new meaning to the phrase death warmed over. He said it's worse than the plague.

So many people on this board have come down with it, I'm tempted to wear a mask to avoid it. Get well soon.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top