Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a soon to be Kindle 2 owner and am very excited to find this site!  So of course I am obsessing over cases. I realize there are many posts on the subject but I would really appreciate your views.

I am currently focused on the Amazon case v. Oberon. (I don't plan to buy a skin.)  The aspects of the Amazon case that appeal to me are the slim profile, the free floating look of the Kindle (I am not interested in the Oberon case with velcro) and the price. But, I 'm worried about the lack of a latch. I probably won't travel much with the Kindle but I am paranoid that in my purse it would get scratched up even if it's in the Amazon case.  I used to suffer from extreme iPod scratch paranoia and have gotten over that, but I'm sure it will reemerge with the Kindle.

The Oberon cases are gorgeous, though pricier. I also think that if I order the Amazon case it's likely it would arrive faster.

It would be hard for me to justify both, but I'm open to being convinced.....

Also, if I get the Oberon it's between Forest - Dark Green and Tree of Life - Dark Green. Does anyone here have either of these designs and colors?

Thanks again. 

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Nelle, welcome. Congratulations on your first post!

Mosey around here a bit. You'll see lots of pictures of various Oberon covers including the ones you mentioned.

I had the Amazon cover and wrote a review of it. You can find it on the review board. Basically, I really like the hinge system and the slim profile. I stuck it in my purse every day and it never opened up, even without a latch. However, the black got sort of boring after three weeks.

I ordered two Oberons: red River Garden and purple Roof of Heaven. They arrived this week and I decided to give my Amazon cover to another Kindleboards member because I knew, realistically, I'd never use it again. The Oberons are just too beautiful for me to take them off.

One person here said that having an Oberon is nice because it makes the Kindle feel more like a leather bound book. I agree. And since, with Kindle books we don't have book covers to look at anymore, it's nice to have a beautiful cover to admire.

L

·
Registered
723 Posts
It is all a very personal thing, these life changing decisions...

But look around these boards there are lots of examples, discussions, there are reviews and more than a few enablers always willing to help!

Thanks for joining.

Eric

·
Registered
72 Posts
nelle said:
(I don't plan to buy a skin.)
Famous last words. I give you a week to cave. ;D

I never got the Amazon cover, so I can't comment on it. For me, there was never any doubt that I'd get another Oberon, after my K1 cover. The only reason I didn't preorder on the first day was because I was pretending there was some doubt that I'd keep the K2. The Oberons are works of high craftsmanship and beauty in themselves. If you value that and get pleasure from it, then there's probably no contest. For utility, the Amazon cover is no doubt a contender. The Oberons don't fold into quite as slim a package as the Amazon (I think there are some comparison photos in one of the threads), but they're still not all that bulky. As for price, the Oberons will long outlast the K2, but I remember reading some reservations about the sturdiness of the Amaon cover. At this point, though, it's all conjecture.

You will probably end up wanting a case, too, especially if you get an Oberon cover. That's another can of worms, since there are a lot to choose from. I have an SF Bag case for my K1, which is very nice, and I just bought a less expensive but still nice one at Target for the K2. I'm hoping to win one of the Borsa Bella cases, but since I never win anything :'(, I decided not to wait.

I don't know if all that was any help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.

Just curious as to the advantage of a case - if I have the Kindle covered (particularly if the cover closes), it should be OK in my purse or other tote?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I don't use a case, Nelle. My cover seems to offer plenty of protection and I don't want to have one more thing to put on and take off when I want to read my Kindle. But that's me.

L

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I too said I wouldn't buy a skin............I have one now. LOL I also contemplated getting the amazon cover- but in the end i wanted something with a bit more style and flair.....oh and color! So I ended up buying an M-Edge.......in Green. I waited for it to arrive and in that time fell in love with the creek bed maple from Oberon......I don't need two covers so when my M-Edge arrived I sent it back- unopened. I am now waiting for my Oberon to come. In the meantime I have a Belkin Noroprene slip cover to protect my Kindle in my purse and I love it!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I personally love my Amazon case because of the slim profile and the floating effect. I can slide it in my purse and don't have a problem, but I have a purse that almost seems like it was made for it :) Other folks I have seen who have been concerned about the Amazon one opening have used a pony-tail holder to good effect.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm probably not a good one to answer this.  I just returned my Amazon case after having it for 2 weeks, and I recently received my Oberon and I'm in love.  So you can guess what I would recommend, but really you have to figure out what's right for you.  I've been through 4 cases now to figure it out for myself.  :D

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I too love my Oberon cover. I think both would give you the protection you want, so go with the one you are most comfortable buying. :)

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'm going to step away from my inner enabler for a moment....  :D

I personally opted to go coverless (sort of) until the Oberon's were finally shipped this week.  I used an old slim day planner modified with elastic & matboard to protect my kindle for the last 3 weeks.

I think, if I had it to do over, I would order the Amazon case first.  The first few weeks with your Kindle are SO different from reading a paper book, and you start to get a feel for where & how you'll use this new addition to your life.  After spending these weeks with everyone here, I'm coming to realize that while we have a definitely vocal Oberon majority (myself included), there are plenty of reasons why other cases may be a better fit for certain readers.

The Amazon case is slim, light, relatively inexpensive, and as we saw in a thread yesterday, you can modify it relatively easily to be more attractive.  You can have one in your hands faster than just about any other, and you'll have the chance to decide if you like the hinge system or not.  You'll get a feel for whether your priority in a cover is weight, texture, appearance, or functions like a built in easel or light.  Or maybe you don't need a cover at all, and you opt for a sleeve case instead!

I love love love my Oberon, don't get me wrong, and there are probably more of them in my future.  But I can't help eyeballing some of the other covers & wondering if I made a mistake in not trying out the hinge system before I made my decision.  And while the Amazon-sold covers are all returnable if you don't like them, the Oberon's are not (though they're pretty easy to resell)....so if you made the wrong call, it's a little more of a nuisance to fix.

As for having both a cover AND a case--if I were a tidier type of person, I could do just a cover.  I'm the type though that has crumbs & loose change flying about in my purse at all times no matter how diligent I think I am.  My BorsaBella case means an extra layer of protection for my K2....and yes, it protects my expensive Oberon cover from scratches & stains.  Plus, of course, it's another layer of decoration!  LOL

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Congratulations on your soon to be Kindle 2, Nelle!!

It used to be easier, the Kindle 1 came with its cover, so you didn't have to pay extra.  It was easier to change to the Oberon or M-edge if you dind't think the original cover was adequate.  Now, you have to buy the Amazon cover, and if you find you don't like it, you have to spend more money on an Oberon.

While there have been some who sold their Oberons because they weren't happy, those have been few and far between compared to the numbers who have had an Amazon cover and changed to an Oberon or other cover, for what it's worth.  One member did have concerns about the Oberon cover not being snug enough against the screen to prevent things from getting in and scratching.  Of course, she was carrying hers in a pack and going camping and hiking with it, as I recall, so it was rougher duty than nost of us have.  And some didn't like the feel of the lining fabric or the leather.  But mostly it's true love with the Oberon covers, I don't think you can lose.  On the off chance that you don't like it, you'll have no trouble selling it, I gaurantee it!

Betsy

·
Registered
860 Posts
DH has the Amazon cover, I have an Oberon.  His is much easier/lighter to hold.  Mine is prettier.   :)

I don't like reading my Kindle in the Oberon - it's too cumbersome for my hands and feels awkward.  I usually read with it naked.  But when I go out, it looks so pretty!

DH just leaves his in his case.  I love the slim look, it's easy to hold, the cover bends back easily - not so on my Oberon but I've only had it about a week so hopefully that will change.  If I had it to do over again I don't think I'd get the Oberon.  It's a lot to spend on just pretty.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I opted for the Amazon cover, only because I don't like the Oberon covers (the way they look). It isn't my style.  The lack of latch doesn't factor in, the Kindle hooks into the cover, it hasn't fallen out yet.  I don't have a skin either, another personal choice.  I think there are a lot of pretty ones, but I just am a boring plain chick, what can I say.

I don't have much money, I'd rather spend it on books.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
To paraphase Tolkien, Go not to the Enablers for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
I have an Oberon case, Sky Dragon, and it is just what I wanted. However, as was pointed out, the Amazon case has possibilities as well. There, muddy enough for you?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You're getting a wealth of advice and information, but it will all come down to your own personal preferences and needs. I'm a total Oberon convert, as I said in my first reply. Before they were available for the K1, I got an original (no light or wrap-around strap) leather M-edge and loved it, but there was no contest with the Oberon. I have large hands and I love the extra cover to hold on to when I read; I had to use the K2 naked for 3 weeks, and I never felt comfortable with it. My K1 Oberon cover folded back flat after some break-in, and I'm sure my K2 cover will, too. Again, different strokes and all that.

As for a case, well, I never thought about it until I got my first M-edge and decided that I didn't want it getting all bashed up in my purse. I also wanted the extra protection in the purse for the Kindle itself (delicate screen vs. all the junk I carry around), and I like the ability to just sling it over my shoulder when I walk around the house.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Covers are a very personal decision. I liked my M-Edge. It worked well and looked nice. It folded back beautifully. Then I saw the Oberon's. I like the look of the Oberon's so I asked for one for Christmas. It is like having a nicely bound book in my hand.

I have a K1 so I cannot comment on the current K2 Amazon cover.

I do not have a carrying case for my Kindle. When I travel with Tavar, he sits in my messenger bag or purse. I have nt had a problem with this arrangement. I have toyed with the idea of getting a smaller bella borsa bag only because it would encourage me to carry even less when I travel.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Which case feels more comfortable in the hands? From looks, Amazon looks for "comfy" but I don't know that for sure.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As I don't own an Oberon, I can only speak to the Amazon case, but i find it very comfy. I am a very tactile person and I like the softness of the inside of the cover when it is folded back.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts