Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a Sony ebook for over 3 years and always wanted a Kindle but felt like I made my bed.  I got so fed up with the cumbersome Sony store and ordering the high priced books then having to move the little icon from my library to the reader and on and on....  It was such a hassle.  The books were too high and there was no audio books or magazines.  Why did I wait so long? I made the plunge and now I can't live without the thing.  I am so much happier now. I have my audio books, my reading books, and my favorite Alfred Hitchcock magazine right here in my pocket. No hassles with the Sony store trying to get the web site to log me in, no gasping at the price of a book, no more hassles at all.  I am in Love.......

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, birdlady. Congrats on your first post and welcome to KindleBoards!

Thanks for telling us about why you made the switch. Interesting to hear your experience.

Now you just need to start dressing your Kindle :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. Glad you are joining us. I had looked at the Sony, but felt that the Kindle fit my needs better. Glad to hear your reasons for switching. Now come on over to accessories. We will help you spend that money you are saving on buying books. :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Welcome birdlady!  Glad to have you here.  As you can see we are an "enabling" bunch and have a lot of fun.  Intinst has given you several very good links to view, enjoy.  B-Kay

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Leslie said:
Welcome, birdlady. Congrats on your first post and welcome to KindleBoards!

Thanks for telling us about why you made the switch. Interesting to hear your experience.

Now you just need to start dressing your Kindle :)
If you want to save yourself a ton of cash, avoid the accessories board. It is a dangerous place to wander.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
ProfCrash said:
If you want to save yourself a ton of cash, avoid the accessories board. It is a dangerous place to wander.
But very interesting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you made the jump and are enjoying the results.  I haven't had any buyers remorse yet regarding my Kindle (the affectionately dubbed GeekBook™!)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I too can report 0 buyer's remorse from anything purchased related to my K2.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
My only remorse is that I did not get my Kindle months before I did, and that I didn't find KindleBoards till just before Christmas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also switched from the Sony reader to the Kindle 2. 

I bought the Sony over a year ago when they offered 100 free classics.  I did have Kindle envy, but it didn't reach the boiling-over point until last October when I bought a new laptop with Windows Vista 64-bit.  The Sony software wouldn't install.  Customer Service said I should find someone who would let me use their computer so I could get at my books.

The 64-bit problem had already gone on for months with it not being on the top of Sony's to-do list.  I waited a month but finally called them and said I wanted the $75 in my account refunded.  I told them I would go to the new Kindle when it came out.  The manager refunded my $75 but also left it in my account hoping to keep me as a customer.  That part was nice because it kept me in books while I waited until Feb. 25 when my Kindle arrived.

There is no comparison between the two products.  The Kindle is far superior in so many ways.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Welcome to the forums, and believe me, I can empathize with your choice to switch. I haven't personally used sony ebook readers, but I have friends who do and shared similar stories with me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
intinst said:
My only remorse is that I did not get my Kindle months before I did, and that I didn't find KindleBoards till just before Christmas.
Ditto! And I agree, stay away from the accessories board, unless you want to start a "collection" of cases, etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow, this is interesting to read. I have had bad experiences with other Sony devices (portable DVD player) their customer service really ticked me off. But I wondered about their store and how prices compare, and how easy their reader is to use. My main reason for choosing Kindle was the whispernet and the fact that Amazon is (or was) primarily a bookseller and Sony is not.

I'm really interested in hearing more about their store. Anyone?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had(have) the original Sony.  My decision to switch was basically seeing the prices of books I wanted on the kindle then seeing it more on the Sony store.  And the fact the the store software just never wanted to work right.  And of course that Sony seems to ignore the Mac which I switched to just after getting the Kindle.

And I agree with everyone here stay away from the accessories board...your wallet will like you much better :)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Yea, Kindle!!
Glad to have you aboard birdlady! We look forward to you joining in on our [sometimes] Kindle topics ;)

And don't listen to a WORD some of these people are telling you...the accessories thread is merely for browsing and looking ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's awesome. I'm glad to hear about some people's experiences with the Sony. I didn't know about them before I got the Kindle, but it's interesting to learn a little bit more about them.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I also originally received a Sony, but it turns out its software is only PC-compatible, and I have a Mac. After investigating the Kindle (can't beat wireless + Amazon's library) it was a no-brainer.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts