Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most of what I learned I got from reading this forum and exploring the settings of the Kindle. But there are a lot of helpful people on this board so if you ask specific questions you will get some answers. Please include the model Kindle you are asking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of what I learned I got from reading this forum and exploring the settings of the Kindle. But there are a lot of helpful people on this board so if you ask specific questions you will get some answers. Please include the model Kindle you are asking about.
Have looked at 3 models of the Kindle and while expensive I really feel that the Oasis would be my best choice. The features that I like the most are the ability to turn the pages with buttons and to view at the screen in landscape mode. How silly is this? My Kindle would HAVE TO (1) let me purchase and read the complete works of Sherlock Holmes INCLUDING the original drawings of Sidney Paget and (2) purchase and read, "The Five Families" by Selwyn Rabb INCLUDING the photos in the book. Those 2 are my gold standards. Anything else would be frosting on the cake. Now if you can tell me where to "test drive" a Kindle Oasis that would go a looooong way toward helping me take my final decision. Thank you for reaching out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can go on Amazon site, go to Kindle books and search to see if your required books are available on Kindle. I know of nowhere you can test a Kindle unless some of the retail sellers have Kindles set up for you to see. Best Buy has them or order on their web site so you could call your local store to see if they are available to look at. If not I would check with other retailers to see what they have like Walmart or Target. I own several Kindles and the Oasis is my favorite. If you read many hours a day as I do you may have to charge the Oasis every couple days depending on how bright you have the lighting.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Regarding the pictures you want to view I should mention that many books I have read have illustrations to include maps and pictures. They are not real good looking but you can double tap the pic and see it enlarged. But overall the Kindles are not good devices for pictures. You can use a Kindle app on your computer and probably get better results with the pics. I don't read books on my computer so cannot really say how much better illustrations would be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you buy the Kindle and find it not satisfactory you do have a limited period to return it.
The “things” I want the Kindle to do.

1. Mostly to read.
2. Change font size and font of my choice.
3. Link to Dictionary to find definition of a word.
4. Continue reading from the point where I last stopped and
continue from there.
5. Go forward a specified number of pages.
6. Go backward a specified number of pages.
7. Link a page in one chapter to a page in another chapter.
8. Make “reading” notes in the margin or elsewhere.
9. Underline passages.
10. May I see how much storage a book requires prior to purchase?

Can you verify?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts