Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been thinking of getting a Kindle for some time now.  In the past I was one that said that I would never consider getting an e-reader.  I have loved to read my whole life, and the thought of not having a real book did not appeal to me.  I also have an insane number of computers and gadgets, and so reading has always been a way for me to get away from computer screens and technology. The more I have seen of kindle though, the more intrigued I am.  My wife also loves to read, and so we go through a surprizingly large number of books (I think combined we have gone through 10 new books this month).  So the cost of the books is a factor (but not a HUGE factor), the dwindling space in our home is another (no room for another bookcase), and also the desire to take a lot of reading material on trips, have all made me rethink the idea of an e-reader.
In looking at the K2, one of the only reasons I had not purchased yet was because of the lack of native PDF support.  The new DX has this, but I really was not looking to spend so much more.
So I am considering buying a K2 now, and maybe a DX later (maybe).  I know that my wife will want one eventually too, and I was thinking that we could trade off with the K2 and DX. 
How possible (or practical) is it for 2 people to share a kindle account?  Of course with regular books, what ever one of us buys, the other will read also.  Is it possible to buy a book and download it to one kindle and read it, then later have that same book downloaded to another kindle without having to pay for it twice?  I don't mind sharing accounts, or having seperate accounts, but I would like to be able to share a book with my wife if I buy one, and vice-versa.  Thanks!

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
That is very possible, some Kindleboarders have 3, 4 or more on their accounts. The top number permissible is 6 or 7 depending on different factors, but two is very doable!

·
Registered
377 Posts
You will definitely want to share an Amazon account for your Kindles if you want to share books, because as I understand it, books cannot be shared between different accounts even if they are in the same family.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
jason run some searches here on KindleBoards on 'sharing kindles' or 'sharing books'; you'll find any number of threads where folks have discussed this and given their tips for making it work etc.

Ann

·
Registered
190 Posts
Also keep in mind that PDFs on K2s (and Klassics) can be read with a simple conversion from Amazon or software.  Graphic heavy PDFs not so much so it depends on what kind of PDFs you are looking to convert.  I convert text only PDF books to Kindle all the time and it works pretty good. If your PDFs are image heavy or technical in nature, then yes the DX is the way to go.  Conversion via whispernet is .15 cents but if you convert and send to email and transfer by USB, it's free.  Just wanted to throw that out there because there seems to be some misconceptions out there about K1 and K2 being able to read PDFs. 

Also, if cost is an issue a used K1 will do everything a K2 does EXCEPT text to speech, and it's not as "pretty."    Used K1's can be had for $200-$250 lately and the most recently purchased ones are still under manufacturer warranty for another 6 months or so. 

Good luck with your purchases whatever you decide.  I'm sure you guys will love them if you are heavy readers.  :)

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
raccemup said:
Conversion via whispernet is .15 cents but if you convert and send to email and transfer by USB, it's free.
Just a quick clarification: conversion (direct to Kindle via WN) is 15 cents per Mb, rounded up. So .9 MB would cost 15 cents. 1.1 MB would cost 30 cents. Though, as noted, you can always request conversion and have the file e-mailed back to you for free.

Ann

·
Registered
139 Posts
Jasonmh said:
Hi All,

I have been thinking of getting a Kindle for some time now. In the past I was one that said that I would never consider getting an e-reader. I have loved to read my whole life, and the thought of not having a real book did not appeal to me. I also have an insane number of computers and gadgets, and so reading has always been a way for me to get away from computer screens and technology. The more I have seen of kindle though, the more intrigued I am. My wife also loves to read, and so we go through a surprizingly large number of books (I think combined we have gone through 10 new books this month). So the cost of the books is a factor (but not a HUGE factor), the dwindling space in our home is another (no room for another bookcase), and also the desire to take a lot of reading material on trips, have all made me rethink the idea of an e-reader.
In looking at the K2, one of the only reasons I had not purchased yet was because of the lack of native PDF support. The new DX has this, but I really was not looking to spend so much more.
So I am considering buying a K2 now, and maybe a DX later (maybe). I know that my wife will want one eventually too, and I was thinking that we could trade off with the K2 and DX.
How possible (or practical) is it for 2 people to share a kindle account? Of course with regular books, what ever one of us buys, the other will read also. Is it possible to buy a book and download it to one kindle and read it, then later have that same book downloaded to another kindle without having to pay for it twice? I don't mind sharing accounts, or having seperate accounts, but I would like to be able to share a book with my wife if I buy one, and vice-versa. Thanks!
As the others said you can e-mail it either to your kindle for a fee, or to your computer for free. I use this service a good deal for some text books and find it useful :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hi Jason,  glad to hear you are looking into getting a kindle. I hesitated at first because I liked reading books - LOVE the smell of a book store (new books). And I don't like reading from my computer, I usually would print things out so I thought it would be the same type of experience.

Well, I just got a k1 in November. Let me tell you, I get bummed when a book is not on kindle and I actually have to read the dead tree version. I have found, it's much more comfortable reading from the kindle, and as a plus I don't have to hunt down a pair of reading glasses and it's soo much lighter than the majority of books I read. 

My only regret?  Why didn't I get one sooner!!

Also welcome to the KB, these people are wonderful, crazy, book readers that will keep your 'to read' list growing!

theresam

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Also welcome to the KB, these people are wonderful, crazy, book readers that will keep your 'to read' list growing!
Indeed! Possibly growing faster than you can keep up with. . . . .my "to be read" list grows like bamboo. . . . . :D

Ann

·
Registered
469 Posts
Jason,

Since you are both voracious readers, you will absolutely love the Kindle. I never imagined a time when I would want to get rid of the regular books in my house, but now with my Kindle, I am planning on getting rid of all of them except about 10.

As long as you are both on the same account, you can buy the book once and download it to two kindles at the same time and then read it at the same time if you want.

Unless you have a need for bigger graphics or are planning on reading a lot of magazine and newpaper subscriptions, I'm sure you will love the K2. The size is perfect for carrying everywhere you go.

Just make sure to get a quality cover for it. The screen needs protected.

Since there is no backlight, it's not like reading a computer screen, it's much, much better.

I would guess by the end of your first book, you will be hooked and will be asking yourself what took so long to buy it.

Just be sure to get a Kindle instead of another brand of e-reader so that you have the wonderful convenience of the internet/whispernet feature to download books anywhere within Sprint Wireless range.

You won't regret buying it!

Lynn M

·
Registered
205 Posts
you'll love the kindle - it reads just like a book except it's electronic.  It really feels like regular paper to my eyes which are extra sensitive because I get migraines and I have epilepsy. 

I got mine for a lot of the same reasons you stated, no more room in my apartment, cheaper, easy access.  I will never ever buy a regular book in DTB format and I'm slowly but surely converting all my old books in electronic format.  What sucks is finding multiple versions of the same DTB as I'm cleaning out bookcases.  Obviously, couldn't find a book amongst all the clutter and then bought it again (and again).  *smacks forehead*  Not anymore!  Plus, I have my whole library with me (plus a HUGE bookstore) no matter where i go.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
jason, my only question... What are you waiting for?

You probably already have this info from above posts, but I'll say it again.

- You certainly can share books when both Kindles (or iPhones) are on the same account.
- Even if you delete an Amazon book from your Kindle, you can re-download it at any time, to either Kindle
- You can also share Kindles.  You can read on one, then pick up the other Kindle and use the Sync to Furthest page feature to resume reading in your book.
- The thing that doesn't work so well is if two people are reading the same book on the same Kindle.  The Kindle cant keep track of where two different people are reading.  But you can use bookmarks to keep track yourself.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Jasonmh said:
Hi All,

I have been thinking of getting a Kindle for some time now. In the past I was one that said that I would never consider getting an e-reader. I have loved to read my whole life, and the thought of not having a real book did not appeal to me.
Like you, Jason, I hadn't really considered reading e-books, but then an electronic publisher picked up my two mysteries, and I eventually joined Kindleboards a few days ago, and now I'm quickly changing my thinking. Unfortunately, I live in Canada and they're not available to us yet, but I started a thread a couple of days ago (on not quite Kindle forum) and asked Kindle users if they still bought DTB. Quite a number replied that they did, especially children's picture books, reference books, cookbooks, and anything else with maps, and illustrations. So, essentially, you can still enjoy books both ways, which is what I plan to do, should Canada ever get on board with Amazon. ???

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great replies, I have a new K2 on the way and can't wait to check it out.

Jason

·
Registered
685 Posts
hazeldazel said:
you'll love the kindle - it reads just like a book except it's electronic. It really feels like regular paper to my eyes which are extra sensitive because I get migraines and I have epilepsy.
I find the kindle very helpful after I have had a seizure and need to rest for a few hours before it is safe for me to start moving around again.

Two days ago I had a grand mal around 9 AM. It was close to noon before I felt all right again.

It was nice to have the kindle to read while I was waiting in the chair, not to mention waiting for the later blood test and appointment with my neurologist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts