Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, thanks for reading this;

I have a new Kindle, and have bought a couple of books to far.  However, my husband also wants to buy one and we want to share an account as we read many similar books.  Can anyone confirm what will happen if we create a new joint Amazon account and register it to both kindles...

- will I lose the two books I bought on my own account when I deregister?  Is there any way of saving them?

- will we be able to have different 'collection' folders and arrange our books differently?

- is it correct that we won't both have to download all the books we buy?

Thanks ever so much, don't want to proceed until I am sure what will happen, and the Amazon help is... unhelpful!

Heloise

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Heloise, you don't need to create a joint account. When your husband buys the new Kindle, add his Kindle to your account. It won't affect the books you already bought.

You can download those books you already bought to his Kindle too.

If you buy new books, they will download to the Kindle that you specify. Then they will download as soon as you connect with WiFi.

However, if you don't want them, then just delete them and they will go into your archive where they will stay until you want to reload them on your Kindle or his.

Each Kindle is separate so you don't have to have the same books on both.

My wife and I both have Kindles and we don't like the same books, but do have both of our Kindles registered to the same account.

- will I lose the two books I bought on my own account when I deregister? Is there any way of saving them?

Don't deregister since it is not necessary.

- will we be able to have different 'collection' folders and arrange our books differently? Yes

- is it correct that we won't both have to download all the books we buy? Yes

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
What Sam said.

Also, since you've already bought some books and have started a Kindle archive, add your husband's Kindle to your account. He can still keep his Amazon account for ordering other stuff. But if he buys Kindle books or other content, they'll be in your archive (and charged to the credit card on your account).

If he doesn't have a Kindle account already, no need for him to create one just for owning a Kindle. He can use yours.

L

·
Registered
155 Posts
here's what will happen if you do create a new account
you can't transfer your books over to the new account - but you can go back to that account to read them again by de-registering and then re-registering your kindle to the old account.  If you want a different account do it now before you have more books on the old account.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Heloise said:
Hello everyone, thanks for reading this;

- is it correct that we won't both have to download all the books we buy?

Thanks ever so much, don't want to proceed until I am sure what will happen, and the Amazon help is... unhelpful!

Heloise
You don't have to re-buy a book if you are both on the same account. You will have to download the book to each kindle that wants to read it, either from the Archives or from the Manage Your Content section at Amazon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts