Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I've been lurking on your boards now for a few weeks and now, finally, the day is here....I'm getting my Kindle 2 as a birthday present tonight! I've already created a wishlist on Amazon that is about a mile long, but I have some start-up questions for you knowledgeable Kindle veterans. Here they are:

How do the free books on Amazon compare to the books from the Gutenberg Project? Which would you recommend for my free downloads?

I'm a news junkie and very excited about getting rss feeds sent to my Kindle, which program do you think works best, Feedbooks.com? Or Calibre?

Those are my big questions but I would welcome any tips or advice about getting the ball rolling on my Kindle. Thanks in advance for all your help (and for everything I've learned on these boards the last few weeks)!  :)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I freely admit I'm not the person to ask about sending RSS feeds to the kindle (though for the record, I use kindlefeeder.org for that, and I use Calibre for organizing my backups and stuff but not really for news), nor have I done a comparison of books from amazon vs gutenberg (though I usually just choose Amazon if available, for ease of future downloads etc, and if it's not on amazon, I try manybooks before I try gutenberg itself)... but I couldn't help but reply to you anyway to let you know that for a moment, I thought you were speaking directly to me, as far as I know the only declared veterinarian on the Kindle Boards :) Hee hee.

Mazel tov on your new addition. YOu're going to love it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Missyrose said:
How do the free books on Amazon compare to the books from the Gutenberg Project? Which would you recommend for my free downloads?
If you are referring strictly to public domain books, I would encourage you to go to another website other than Amazon. I recommend this simply because if you get them from Amazon, they will always remain in your Kindle library, even if you want to get rid of them later. If you get them from somewhere else, however, you can delete it for good and get it back later without having to constantly have it in your "archives" and having to wade through it.

I have also heard that Amazon seems to break some books up into "sections" which may be composed of only a few chapters. In this case, you would have to possibly download several items to get an entire book. This, coupled with what I said above, would make it troublesome to have them in your archives.

I recommend www.manybooks.net for free books. If you know the author, it is easiest to browse that way. You can also type the name of the work in the search box. Browsing titles seems unorganized that way to me.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
webhill said:
I freely admit I'm not the person to ask about sending RSS feeds to the kindle (though for the record, I use kindlefeeder.org for that, . . .
It's kindlefeeder.com. . .you set up your RSS feeds and it is sent to your Kindle on the schedule you specify. Works really well, I think.

Ann

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome. Congrats on the Kindle. I buy mostly from Amazon, but there are others that use the free sites and will help you. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Feedbooks is my favorite source for free books.  THere are a couple of threads on here that talk about how to download the feedbooks guide to your kindle and then download directly from there.  It's so easy that Mrs. ZeroNewbury was even impressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts