Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to launch my ebook soon and I was thinking of inserting a color image of the book title into the book title page to liven it up a bit. I can scale it down to suit and was wondering if a simple insert would do, or would additional coding be needed?
Thanks

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think it is an interesting idea and yes, I do think a simple 'insert' should do the trick. You could do it in Word and then convert to epub before uploading to KDP. I have never done it, but can't foresee any issues.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It’s already in the file when you publish it so it’s redundant. Amazon charges by file size, so you’d make a few cents less doing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s already in the file when you publish it so it’s redundant. Amazon charges by file size, so you’d make a few cents less doing it.
Thanks for all replies

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
I am about to launch my ebook soon and I was thinking of inserting a color image of the book title into the book title page to liven it up a bit. I can scale it down to suit and was wondering if a simple insert would do, or wou
Thanks
I've done this with my trilogy that I have on preorder just now. I think people responding on your thread have the idea you meant the cover, but you said image of the title.

Many do this as an image on the title page to match the font on the cover. Without any image, if it's a nonstandard font, it will be changed by Amazon, so that's a good reason to do it.

The only negative side is wherever a reader decides to view with white text on a black background as it will show the surrounding white box of the image, but I doubt many do.

You can have fun with images, just don't overdoe it as it can affect the delivery cost with file size. Small images don't make much difference to the file size. Most I've been charges is 6 cents for multiple small images.

Because some ereaders will only render the color image in Black and White, you need to check what the images look like in graysacale, as the contrast on some images can merge colors so as to make the image difficult to see in detail.

I've always included images at say the begining of the first chapter, or a map, or say a collage of my books as thumbnails as a single image at the end of the book, with links back to my book page.

An altenative to an Image would be to use a standard font that won't be changed when Amazon convert the file, but to change the color of the font. If you click on Girl at the Window in my signature, you'll see what I mean. You can also do this with the color of the font for chapter headings to Jaz it up as you say.

I also add a logo of my publisher imprint on all my title pages as do trad-publishers. In some of my books I've used that same scorpion logo image, though smaller, for where I have a space for scene breaks in the body of the text rather than using * * * or # # # as some do. Don't forget, in setting out the layout of your title page you can't use more that 4 spaces or it will ignore the spaces and close it up. You can extend the box surrounding the image to create more space that will stick.

For the print book, you'll need to grayscale any images image for Black and White print. Don't insert as black and white, only grayscale for a better quality images.change You can insert in color then click on the image and from the drop down box in fornat, change it to grayscale.

If you''re formatting in Word, no need to produce an ePUB to upload. In Word, always insert the images from the picture insert at the top of the page, which will locate the file of the image. Do not copy and paste them into the doc in either the formatted print or e-book doc..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done this with my trilogy that I have on preorder just now. I think people responding on your thread have the idea you meant the cover, but you said image of the title.

Many do this as an image on the title page to match the font on the cover. Without any image, if it's a nonstandard font, it will be changed by Amazon, so that's a good reason to do it.

The only negative side is wherever a reader decides to view with white text on a black background as it will show the surrounding white box of the image, but I doubt many do.

You can have fun with images, just don't overdoe it as it can affect the delivery cost with file size. Small images don't make much difference to the file size. Most I've been charges is 6 cents for multiple small images.

Because some ereaders will only render the color image in Black and White, you need to check what the images look like in graysacale, as the contrast on some images can merge colors so as to make the image difficult to see in detail.

I've always included images at say the begining of the first chapter, or a map, or say a collage of my books as thumbnails as a single image at the end of the book, with links back to my book page.

An altenative to an Image would be to use a standard font that won't be changed when Amazon convert the file, but to change the color of the font. If you click on Girl at the Window in my signature, you'll see what I mean. You can also do this with the color of the font for chapter headings to Jaz it up as you say.

I also add a logo of my publisher imprint on all my title pages as do trad-publishers. In some of my books I've used that same scorpion logo image, though smaller, for where I have a space for scene breaks in the body of the text rather than using * * * or # # # as some do. Don't forget, in setting out the layout of your title page you can't use more that 4 spaces or it will ignore the spaces and close it up. You can extend the box surrounding the image to create more space that will stick.

For the print book, you'll need to grayscale any images image for Black and White print. Don't insert as black and white, only grayscale for a better quality images.change You can insert in color then click on the image and from the drop down box in fornat, change it to grayscale.

If you''re formatting in Word, no need to produce an ePUB to upload. In Word, always insert the images from the picture insert at the top of the page, which will locate the file of the image. Do not copy and paste them into the doc in either the formatted print or e-book doc..

Good points to keep in mind.
Thanks Decon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts