Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
They left out nonfiction as part of reading???

I'm a nonfiction reader. I guess I don't count????

That's why I stopped reading in the first place (in high school). I had to read "the required reading" and decided if that was "reading", I wasn't interested.

Instead of drawing circles of inclusion and exclusion, perhaps they should include all readers!

BTW, according to the Dewey Decimal System, poetry is classified as nonfiction. OOPS!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Any uptick in reading habits is good news to me, a former English prof. If it continues next year, it might mean something.

I understand those who don't care for poetry. How many of us really like modern (classical) music, after all? A few, but not many. By the way, Dana Gioia, mentioned in that article, is a fine poet, and his and X. J. Kennedy's poetry anthologies were excellent.

I have a confession to make to Kindle readers of Distant Cousin, at least of volume 3, Reincarnation. The DT version begins with a lovely poem by Diane Ackerman. I had to purchase the rights to include it from Random House, and the rights were not cheap. They specified that that was the only edition it was allowed to be used with, so I had to leave it out of the Kindle version or pay another large royalty.

I regret that. The poem set off the book perfectly. If there are any poetry fans (or Distant Cousin fans) here on KindleBoards, let me know and I'll tip it to you.

Al
DistantCousin guy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
BrassMan - good on your 100 posts too!

I have Distant Cousin 2 and 3 in my wish list.  I pay credit card Thursday, get my gift card to myself Thursday and watch out po' lil kindle  :eek:  soooooo put me on it ?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Anju said:
BrassMan - good on your 100 posts too!

I have Distant Cousin 2 and 3 in my wish list. I pay credit card Thursday, get my gift card to myself Thursday and watch out po' lil kindle :eek: soooooo put me on it ?
Thanks. As slow as my pages load out here in the sticks I'm amazed I could get to 100.

Now, Anju: do you want that poem?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Not surprised by the numbers. The vast majority of my high school classmates and college dormmates never understood why a person would consider reading as a hobby beyond Harry Potter and Twilight. A lot of my classmates would rather watch the movie version or tv show version of a book than read the actual book (ex: Blood and Chocolate, Gossip Girl, Dexter, True Blood, Eleventh Hour, and...what else movies/show came from books). Course I would rather invest in a book seeing that it would most likely entertain me for a lot longer. (average movie ticket: 7.25-9.75 in my area)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts